Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would 235/40/20 fit on p3d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have had mixed experiences with 255/35R20. Clearance is too tight for comfort for most. Also the type of tire and depth of tread can impact ability to fit. The same people on reddit saying how great their 255/35R20 fit later report (if you check comment history) how they'd go 245/35R20 on the next round. I wish the fit for 255 was better so I could go wider on the 20" rim with reasonable side wall. I'm looking forward to aftermarket front suspension arms from UP and MPP.
I have had 255's on my car for 6,000 miles (shown in my profile pic) with zero problems and plenty of clearance, they are on the original 19" sport wheels but are still a 27" tall tire and the 255/40/19 is the same size as a 255/35/20, they are the Continental Extremecontact DW S06
tires.jsp
Also as a bonus my speedo is right on the money so it must have been reading off with the stock tires

Here is the 20" version
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...0DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:
Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
People have had mixed experiences with 255/35R20. Clearance is too tight for comfort for most. Also the type of tire and depth of tread can impact ability to fit. The same people on reddit saying how great their 255/35R20 fit later report (if you check comment history) how they'd go 245/35R20 on the next round. I wish the fit for 255 was better so I could go wider on the 20" rim with reasonable side wall. I'm looking forward to aftermarket front suspension arms from UP and MPP.

Do you know if this is just the case with 20s or would 255/40R19 have potentially the same problem since the diameter is the same? I've been thinking about getting 19s with 255/40 for better pothole protection but if there will be issues I might stick with 245/45R18.

Do you know if this is just the case with 20s or would 255/40R19 have potentially the same problem since the diameter is the same?
I feel like 255/40R19 should have the same problem (the clearance with the front suspension arm) since the diameter is the same. But depending on the tire and your comfort level with clearance there may not be a problem. I can't talk past @gilscales experience. Works great in that situation. By the way, I'm really happy for these guys fitting 255s. I may just be conservative. I haven't fit 245 or 255 yet, and I'm not an expert. I mostly just google as much as possible for a week or so and found peace when I read that Tesla was running 245/35R20 with their track model 3 and randy Pobst. I'll for sure post some clearance pictures for you all in maybe two weeks. A lot of unplugged parts are arriving, and my car will be in the shop for a bit. The getyourwheels guys (Josh@GYW) are really easy to talk to on the phone and generous with their fitment knowledge.

Last edited:
9067333E-C551-4416-AC5C-7F39A7B125E0.jpeg
7DFEE1E3-C64A-41EB-823F-F6FD784F9990.jpeg
I feel like 255/40R19 should have the same problem since the diameter is the same. But depending on the tire and your comfort level with clearance there may not be a problem. I can't talk past @gilscales experience. Works great in that situation. By the way, I'm really happy for these guys fitting 255s. I may just be conservative. I haven't fit 245 or 255 yet, and I'm not an expert. I mostly just google as much as possible for a week or so and found peace when I read that Tesla was running 245/35R20 with their track model 3 and randy Pobst. I'll for sure post some clearance pictures for you all in maybe two weeks. A lot of unplugged parts are arriving, and my car will be in the shop for a bit. The getyourwheels guys (Josh@GYW) are really easy to talk to on the phone and generous with their fitment knowledge.
Clearance pics for my 255/40/19’s
It is tight but never rubbed, not once, at least 5/16” or closer to 3/8” to the arm

@gilscales Is there a noticeable reduction in the wheel gap with 255s? I thought that might be another benefit to going wider with larger diameter.
It is noticeable but it is only .6" larger in diameter so the gap will close .3" all around, to me this looks like the tire that belongs on the car, however, at 10% range hit I can see why they did not run these!, The car rides better, handles better and is much more sure footed in an emergency maneuver so I consider the trade off of range totally worth it.

• Love
Reactions: zhu-
It is noticeable but it is only .6" larger in diameter so the gap will close .3" all around, to me this looks like the tire that belongs on the car, however, at 10% range hit I can see why they did not run these!, The car rides better, handles better and is much more sure footed in an emergency maneuver so I consider the trade off of range totally worth it.

Do you think you actually lost 10% range or is some of that just an error from the car not knowing that you are actually travelling further per tire rotation than the smaller diameter factory tires?

Do you think you actually lost 10% range or is some of that just an error from the car not knowing that you are actually travelling further per tire rotation than the smaller diameter factory tires?
That is a good question and based on a 26.4" diameter tire and going to 27" diameter is approx. 2.3%, at somewhere around 16,800 miles give or take my lifetime usage was at 248 wh/mi, I made a new setting to track the usage on the new tires and at first it was over 300 but after 6,500 miles has settled down to 272 wh/mi so far and continues to drop, at the same mileage with the stock tires it was over 260, however, was probably due to more aggressive driving style as the car was new to me and I just abused the go pedal more!