Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would a Model 3 Stand Out in East New York, Brooklyn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in a house in East New York, somewhat near the 3 train New Lots Ave station. Our block is probably a 60/40 split homeowners/renters. Our family stands out racially, and we're sensitive to making ourselves stand out even more with a fancy car.

Occasionally, we see very nice cars around. For example, a newer model Maserati parked across the street from us. Some of our neighbors have newer model Cadillac/Mercedes/Lexus vehicles.

I'm constantly having the debate with my wife and with myself whether a Model 3 would stand out in the area. I've seen one Model 3 pass by our neighborhood, but have seen none parked anywhere near. Any thoughts from people with even a passing familiarity with the area?

It'll always stand out because it's different from your typical expensive luxury car. It'll stand out just by not being a Caddy/MB/BMW branded luxury car. I don't think it'd stand out in a negative way at all though. Do you guys not have garages or people just like to park outside to show off their cars?

Unless you have a driveway at minimum, a garage even better, the car will get destroyed by alternate side of the street parking rules and careless parkers. In addition, many perceive a 3 as a luxury vehicle, (even the cheaper than many other mfr's base $35K model, which I'm told was once seen in the wild by a National Geographic photographer) perhaps inviting burglars to target your home contents as would a child in a candy store. East New York isn't quite there yet when the media speaks of Brooklyn being the hot borough. I'm not being disparaging, please understand. I would have concerns parking a 3, S or X on an Upper East side street. If the neighborhood is gentrifying, a Model 3 owner may be perceived as one of the evils pushing people away from their homes. In the Bronx, I drove a ratty car without a car radio to park in front of the firehouse. It didn't bode well in the neighborhood if the people risking their lives for theirs and their property drove a better car than did they. It sucks but reality is reality.

In areas of LA, the Model 3 sticks out because it's the cheapest car on the block.
Lookup the values of the cars that you see. Many trucks and SUV can easily dwarf the Model 3 prices. I also suspect that a large number of folks will see it as just another car.

If the neighborhood is gentrifying, a Model 3 owner may be perceived as one of the evils pushing people away from their homes.

I guess I'm trying to gauge sensitivity to gentrification in our neighborhood, specifically. Housing and rental prices have been increasing significantly, but honestly, the composition of the neighborhood doesn't seem to be changing all that much.

I'm not too concerned about crime -- yes, it might be a bit heightened in ENY. This is just something we live with.

Do you guys not have garages or people just like to park outside to show off their cars?

Yes, we have a driveway. I owned two EVs previously, and I would only want my home as my main charging station. Many have garages, but many use their garages for other purposes. It isn't a particularly showy neighborhood, so I would not attribute outside parking to this.

I teach high school and would say I live in a neighborhood appropriate to that. A Tesla will stand out but not in a bad way. A Model 3 isn't big so it is no where near as ostentatious as an S-class Mercedes or BMW 7 series. A Model X would be a different story.

We live in a house in East New York, somewhat near the 3 train New Lots Ave station. Our block is probably a 60/40 split homeowners/renters. Our family stands out racially, and we're sensitive to making ourselves stand out even more with a fancy car.

Occasionally, we see very nice cars around. For example, a newer model Maserati parked across the street from us. Some of our neighbors have newer model Cadillac/Mercedes/Lexus vehicles.

I'm constantly having the debate with my wife and with myself whether a Model 3 would stand out in the area. I've seen one Model 3 pass by our neighborhood, but have seen none parked anywhere near. Any thoughts from people with even a passing familiarity with the area?

There are plenty of Model 3, S, and X owners in Crown Heights which isn't too far from you (at least half a dozen that I know about). The Tesla's attracting attention, there is no question about it. There is hardly a day that goes by that someone doesn't wave, stop, or turn their heads. I suspect over time; this interest will fade as these cars become more common on the roads. A large part of the attraction is also the color and styling of the vehicle -- red will stand out whereas black, not so much. While on the road, in the last week alone, I've been approached by cab drivers, pedestrians, owners of other luxury vehicles with tons of questions. Tesla is undoubtedly an unusual phenomenon. In terms of theft of the vehicle, there isn't much to worry about with the Tesla - it's exceptionally uncommon. Break-ins are more common, as is wheel and bumper rash -- Brooklyn street parking can be rough.

• Love
Reactions: jlk