TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would an aero wheel cover for the 20” performance wheels make sense?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by eyespii, Aug 31, 2018.

1. eyespii

eyespii Member

Would it even be possible to do? If so, approx how much would it improve efficiency? I love the aesthetics of the performance wheels, but would totally throw on some aero covers for road trips. Thoughts?

2. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Well, they must exist.... if you look at the model 3 launch photos. Clearly they designed a bigger version. Would be nice to see new aero wheels offered on all tesla models as an option.

• Like x 1
  3. eyespii

eyespii Member

Not sure if I wasn’t clear, I meant covers for the existing 20” performance wheels.

4. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Yeah, Fo sure. Take a look at those carbon fiber accented performance aero's at the launch.... they've been designed.... they were on the model 3 at the unveiling. Very cool. They look the same as the regular model 3 aero but larger. It would be a great idea, especially if the performance wheels are squared set up and forged for weight savings.

5. Oyster Bait

Oyster Bait Member

The aero wheel covers apparently are simple plastic hub caps so they should be able to be made to fit any (ANY) wheel, and from the few amateur tests posted on YouTube that I've seen, seem to deliver at least 4% improvement in mpwh. If they're not available now, they're a Shark Tank opportunity waiting to be funded, barring copyright/patent infringement issues.

6. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

A few thoughts about this,

#1 Efficiency: 4-6% IMO
    #2 Cooling: Depending on how its designed you still need to cool those brakes. This guy's DIY aero cover looks like he provided no provisions to cool the brakes.
    #3 Aesthetics: It would cover those cool looking red brakes

If such a cover existed, and option-able for the PUP, it'd definitely remove part of my concern for going for it.

7. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

And now I'm sitting here pondering 3D printing snap-on covers.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. Silver Ghost

Silver Ghost Member

The range benefits would have me doing the math. Price them reasonably and most people will go for that

9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

It’s for when you go on long road trips and don’t need those big brakes to cool and don’t need to show off the brakes.

• Like x 2
  10. Gouldness

Gouldness Gould times ahead.

Bump.

I’ve thought of this too, glad I’m not the only one. Would love to have a snap on option for road trips. 20” is perfect for the right look, for around town but then snap on some (OG unveiling) 20” cover plates for the long haul.

11. Brabus808

Brabus808 New Member

I would buy them plus a practical tote to carry them when doing in and around miles

12. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

I would buy a set too. They are very helpful at higher speed