Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would an aero wheel cover for the 20” performance wheels make sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Fo sure. Take a look at those carbon fiber accented performance aero's at the launch.... they've been designed.... they were on the model 3 at the unveiling. Very cool. They look the same as the regular model 3 aero but larger. It would be a great idea, especially if the performance wheels are squared set up and forged for weight savings.

The aero wheel covers apparently are simple plastic hub caps so they should be able to be made to fit any (ANY) wheel, and from the few amateur tests posted on YouTube that I've seen, seem to deliver at least 4% improvement in mpwh. If they're not available now, they're a Shark Tank opportunity waiting to be funded, barring copyright/patent infringement issues.

A few thoughts about this,

#1 Efficiency: 4-6% IMO
#2 Cooling: Depending on how its designed you still need to cool those brakes. This guy's DIY aero cover looks like he provided no provisions to cool the brakes.
#3 Aesthetics: It would cover those cool looking red brakes

If such a cover existed, and option-able for the PUP, it'd definitely remove part of my concern for going for it.

A few thoughts about this,

#1 Efficiency: 4-6% IMO
#2 Cooling: Depending on how its designed you still need to cool those brakes. This guy's DIY aero cover looks like he provided no provisions to cool the brakes.
#3 Aesthetics: It would cover those cool looking red brakes

If such a cover existed, and option-able for the PUP, it'd definitely remove part of my concern for going for it.

It’s for when you go on long road trips and don’t need those big brakes to cool and don’t need to show off the brakes.

Bump.

I’ve thought of this too, glad I’m not the only one. Would love to have a snap on option for road trips. 20” is perfect for the right look, for around town but then snap on some (OG unveiling) 20” cover plates for the long haul.

Model 3P owner here. Came here looking for this topic specifically.

Would love aero caps for road trips and hope they're either made available by Tesla or someone with enough knowledge designs and sells them. Wonder if the existing design is patented. If not, they could likely just be 'copied' at a scale for 20" wheels.

I'm interested in this too, the long range dual motor model has just been added to our configurator in Australia showing an incredible possible range.

It's showing a whopping 60km improvement in range from the P3D from 560km to 620km. There would be some losses from the wider tyre, but you'd think a slightly lower suspension would improve aerodynamics offsetting that a little?

Anyway, if an item you could snap on your P3D for longer trips and would add 10% to the range, that would be quite handy and I'd buy.

Reactions: WilliamG