Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would an OEM wheel be exactly the same as that ordered through Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, I have a bent rim on one of my 20” perf wheels. Tesla, of course, is looking at $$$ for a new one. But I have found an OEM replacement for much less. Should I be good with going that way or are Tesla wheels special in the sense that they’re really made by BBS or something? Ie: Brakes are really sourced from Brembo.

Really, what I’m getting at is if the Tesla really is price gouging or are they using a premier mfg for the wheels. In this case, maybe the cheaper alternative stating they are OEM wheels are really just replicas.

Any insights to help?

Unfortunately, I have a bent rim on one of my 20” perf wheels. Tesla, of course, is looking at $$$ for a new one. But I have found an OEM replacement for much less. Should I be good with going that way or are Tesla wheels special in the sense that they’re really made by BBS or something? Ie: Brakes are really sourced from Brembo.

Really, what I’m getting at is if the Tesla really is price gouging or are they using a premier mfg for the wheels. In this case, maybe the cheaper alternative stating they are OEM wheels are really just replicas.

Any insights to help?

Can’t answer your question, but how much did Tesla quote you for a single 20” wheel?

Is it being sold by a company or an individual? I haven't seen any replica's of 20" Model 3 wheels yet.

How bent is the wheel? I paid $200 to have a 19" on my previous car bent back and it was perfect afterwards.

Let me know what you think...

upload_2019-6-11_17-56-51.gif

(Best I could do as the upload was too big) Repairable?

Thanks everyone for the input. Tesla at first wasn’t sure about how long they could get a new wheel in and have (shortly after I asked them to really check) confirmed that they could get one in tomorrow.

So I’m just going to swallow this one and get it replaced through Tesla but also take the rim back to have it looked at. If repairable, I’ll at least have a spare for any future incident (of course only if it’s deemed to be safe).

If you are okay with OEM meaning aftermarket and made in china....

I personally would change them out to forged lightweight wheels and sell the 4x as a set and discounted (dont understand why people sell these for $$$ but that another conversation)

I would recommend leveling up on developing eagle eyes and reflexes to avoid potholes/dips.

Worth mentioning that the Model 3, much like every car out there, is not a truck and you need to slow down/avoid potholes/bumps like the plague.

Your wallet and your car/rims will thank me later. Donations links are in my profile.

The repaired one though should be just as safe though right?

Yeah.. I do avoid dem potholes but this time, it’s a blame shared with midnight in the boonies, and distracting in-laws... :(

From my research at the time, if there are no cracks of any kind then a repaired out-of-round wheel should be as good as new - the repair shop should be able to confirm the structural integrity. I believe my wheel might have been slightly more bent and I felt very obvious vibrations right after I hit that unavoidable pothole going 60+ on the highway. There were no issues with the wheel for the rest of the two years after the repair.

From my research at the time, if there are no cracks of any kind then a repaired out-of-round wheel should be as good as new - the repair shop should be able to confirm the structural integrity. I believe my wheel might have been slightly more bent and I felt very obvious vibrations right after I hit that unavoidable pothole going 60+ on the highway. There were no issues with the wheel for the rest of the two years after the repair.

They do tend to be softer in the repaired area, but not by much. Always worth it to have It straightened

Just to clarify language, here...

An OEM wheel WOULD BE a wheel from Tesla, whether you buy it from Tesla or not.

An OEM Replacement is a different wheel which someone claims will be a match, but it's not an OEM wheel.

OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer." A part that is an OEM Replacement is not an OEM Part.