TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would anyone consider vertical/butterfly doors for their roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bart513, Jan 15, 2014.

1. bart513

bart513 Member

Just curious what it would look like and how functional it would be? Probably started thinking after reading the thread about the Falcon Doors for the MX

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Wouldn't be a Roadster anymore... just a hard-top sportscar. You need a hard roof for that! It'd be kinda odd.... like putting suicide doors on it.

3. bart513

bart513 Member

Wouldn't it still be a roadster if it had the vertical doors? I know that the falcon doors would need a hardtop but I'm thinking vertically haha

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's just so... ricer.

5. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

Found an Elise....

39073.jpg

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I just want standard doors and a soft top... I love it how it is. Love taking the top off, adding the mesh top and putting on the clear top in the summer. Can't get any better... anything else is just ridiculous in execution but fun in thought. I think Doug had this in mind:

gullwingaccord.jpg

7. bart513

bart513 Member

WOW!!!!!! Great job Palmer! As cool as it looks I think I like the normal door. The nice thing about the vertical doors however is it makes it easier to get in and out of tight places which, of course, I never park in:)

Wiztecy that Honda looks like it's ready to take off and fly away!!!!!

8. asgard

asgard Member

My factory-fresh door already sags. Lambo doors would just break off the hinges :)
    And pardon my language but they look hideous.

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I like this. It could be a good idea for next Roadster (Model R).

10. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

I contemplated getting vertical doors, but for reasons wiztecy stated I would not get butterfly or gullwing doors. I got a rough estimate from Dietschwerks for $5,000.

Vertical doors come in many different styles. The best ones move out and then up without the operator from having to make the motion. It should be very fluid. Some of the lower end ones, it's like a gear shifter, you have to follow a pattern when opening and closing the door.

11. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

Being 6ft2 gullwing doors would give me less back problems !

There was an after market gull-wing roof available many years ago. It converted into a T-bar roof, or could be completely removed. *BUT* it was never reliable, had fibre glass cracking problems, leaked a lot in use, and leaked even more when opened in the rain when all the water fell back on the hinged area etc . . and basically the design was never really finished. Nice idea though ..

gullwingupgradebyhocuslotusnov2011_zps2f9ec6ec.jpg

12. Jace_91

Jace_91 Member

Like others have said thats why the started it, so that super cars could be built very wide and still be able to open their doors in a parking spot. My favorites are the doors on the koenigsegg
    koenigsegg_ccx_by_dracu_teufel666-d5tgxvo.jpg