Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would anyone else be interested in an update that allowed the dashboard map to always be on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I play a lot of racing games on my PS4 and Xbox and to be competitive and quick it's always a good idea to glance at the track map in the left hand corner to see when the turns are coming up.

The thought hit me that this would be perfect for our Tesla's, especially in some of the twist and turn filled mountain roads I frequent in Northern California. It would be perfect for cruising new areas and being able to find a road you might want to explore, or just to be aware of any upcoming turns on a road you might be unfamiliar with.

Would anyone else like this? I mean currently all I ever use in the left hand dashboard display is my music album, which is sort of pointless because I know what's playing at all times. The mileage and trip odometer is also not something I really use. I do check the tire PSI's from time to time but not enough for it to be a staple on the dashboard display like my energy usage graph is.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Reactions: MattMatt and gavine
I play a lot of racing games on my PS4 and Xbox and to be competitive and quick it's always a good idea to glance at the track map in the left hand corner to see when the turns are coming up.

The thought hit me that this would be perfect for our Tesla's, especially in some of the twist and turn filled mountain roads I frequent in Northern California. It would be perfect for cruising new areas and being able to find a road you might want to explore, or just to be aware of any upcoming turns on a road you might be unfamiliar with.

Would anyone else like this?
I have driven lots of winding mountain roads during the past half century with nothing but highway signs and my two eyes focused on the road ahead to alert me that the road is turning. It seems to me that taking eyes off the road to consult a map on the dashboard display would be more of a dangerous distraction than a help.

If the thing could show whether there was no oncoming car around that blind left curve ahead so I could safely cut a straighter path across the opposing lane…then maybe.

I have driven lots of winding mountain roads during the past half century with nothing but highway signs and my two eyes focused on the road ahead to alert me that the road is turning. It seems to me that taking eyes off the road to consult a map on the dashboard display would be more of a dangerous distraction than a help.

If the thing could show whether there was no oncoming car around that blind left curve ahead so I could safely cut a straighter path across the opposing lane…then maybe.
You've been missing out.
A glance at the shape of the upcoming corner allows you to drive at the same speed safer, or at the same safety faster.
That's why there are two people in a rally car.

Ohh I get it. That is true, the nav function on the dashboard only works when you actually have navigation going on the main screen.

So you want that dashboard nav to be able to turn on without navigation input. So like in Grand Theft Auto. There is a little map at the bottom that you can see where you are.

That would be cool actually. I feel like I would actually use that a lot.

Reactions: gavine
Terribly unsafe idea, might help you with the road but not the tree that fell, the deer standing there, the bicyclist, the couple walking their dog, sand on the road from people cutting the corner, or a thousand other things you should be looking at.

Rally cars are a closed course, or closed public roads not at all comparable.

I am an automotive enthusiast, I like to push the limits myself at times, but will pre-drive a stretch looking for obstacles or driveways/ obstacles could come from.

Terribly unsafe idea, might help you with the road but not the tree that fell, the deer standing there, the bicyclist, the couple walking their dog, sand on the road from people cutting the corner, or a thousand other things you should be looking at.

I am an automotive enthusiast, I like to push the limits myself at times, but will pre-drive a stretch looking for obstacles or driveways/ obstacles could come from.
You still look at the road. Its just extra information.

Reactions: croman
If this were an option, I'd choose it over the power usage graph that I currently am displaying there.
I'm not interested in seeing the corner up ahead so that I can go faster, whatever.. I would want it so I can see if turning on an earlier street or later one could get me to the same place I was planning to drive to, but didn't have set as a destination. For example, the road in front of me might be blocked with several people turning left. Hmmmm... could I turn right, before I get to that point and then a couple lefts and avoid all that traffic? Just maybe, a quick look at that little map would show enough of an alternate route that I would take it..

The navigation maps are at least 2 years out of date in the US. Perhaps when we are using up-to-date maps (like on the console display), this would be useful. Plus, it would be useful to also include the real-time traffic data and other information - I.e., just repeating what's displayed on the console.

There are many user interface customizations, which should be relatively easy to implement - and allow customizations by using the menus/settings screens on the console.

So far, Tesla has chosen to pretty much force customers into a "one size fits all" user interface, with limited customization.

Musk promised increased user interface customization a few years ago - still waiting for that, along with the other yet-undelivered promises (improved browser, fixes to the media player, 3rd party app store, wifi hotspot, onboard music storage, screen mirroring, ...).

Sorry I should not have stated my point about playing racing games before I mentioned this idea... It's really not mean to be used in an unsafe manner. A quick glance though on a road you aren't used to can really help though.

So, I know it's a little far fetched, but then Rally drivers don't need co-pilots telling them about the upcoming corner...?

Sorry I should not have stated my point about playing racing games before I mentioned this idea... It's really not mean to be used in an unsafe manner. A quick glance though on a road you aren't used to can really help though.

You're completely right. I do this most of the time, just to have an idea on the direction and rough curvature of a corner. It helps, especially on roads with very low visibility / signage.