TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

would anyone use something like this...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nleggatt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

I'm thinking of building a "BEV Social Network" where you could register your location, charge type etc.
    Then if you wanted to drive somewhere, say, from Vancouver to Toronto, you put in your start and end destination, and the site would create an itinerary for you of what route to travel, and where to charge based on the networks registered users. The site would handle the "reservation" process with the resident if need be. So you would just enter your start and end location, the system would say, "Preparing charge spots", then it would handle getting in touch with the users via email.

If you had a charger at your house, the network would email you and say "Someone is looking for a charge spot at this date and time, are you ok with that"

Once the system has a path from A-Z with charging stations in the middle, you are notified.

What other features would be cool?

For the techies, it would be build on LAMP. Anyone wanna help :)

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I agree we already have many sites to search for charging options and for my area of the country E. Tennessee PlugShare seems to be the best option. I have been adding sites to multiple databases. At some point I hope we consolidate the data so we do not need to check multiple sites.

4. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

cool. thanks for the links.

5. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

Interested !

I have this in my todo list for a while. I could contribute the Android version and also contribute on the web side...

Serge

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

My 2c is that this is a cool idea, and needs to combine public and private charging points (together with travel range, route planning, reservation, etc).

I would really like to see openchargemaps used as the base for all public EV chargers. The guys there have made an incredible start, and I really hope they can get the support they need to build it out.

Regarding the private charging points, and reservation/social side, that is probably beyond what openchargemaps should/can be doing, but I know they have been discussing it. It is probably worth getting on to their mailing list and discussion with them.

Regards, Mark.

7. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I'd give it a try and use it if it is hassle-free. I think it's a major problem to keep all the data of individually planned routes up to date. What if a trip is canceled, or if plans change on the road (yes this happens :). Data must be purged and free slots could be redistributed.

My dream solution would be a route planning App in the Model S touchscreen that negotiates slots with "smart" (= communication enabled) charge spots.

8. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The ability to reserve -- and then elegantly cancel a reservation -- is important. Cancellation should be easy enough; think about how a restaurant reservation system like OpenTable works. The system would have to have some light penalty for no-shows.

Any of these private sharing networks are likely to be a bridge to commercial charging. There will come a point where the EV owner located conveniently to the highway will have a constant stream of people charging at his house, and either he or his neighbors will consider the traffic to be a nuisance. But that presumes a much greater penetration of BEVs than is likely any time soon.

9. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

10. Kevin Sharpe

#10 Kevin Sharpe, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    IMO this is only true when you have a limited number of Charging Stations... when you reach large numbers then the requirement to book in many locations simply goes away... indeed, many of the rest stops that we talk to want to use first-come-first-served for their DC Fast Chargers.

Hotels, etc will install large numbers because they will be cheap - the 32A "mennekes" version of this product retails at ~$380 today and will be $100 within 5 years;

ZCW_Gen2.jpg

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The charger itself will become cheaper, but the establishment will need to be cautious about the total rating. Installing 10 32A chargers necessarily requires having spare capacity on your power system of 320A (plus a margin). That could also add 66kW to the peak usage, would could entail upgrades of the local distribution transformer and (likely) an increase in the demand charge for electricity to the establishment. It's the total cost that matters, not just the plug!

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well, obviously, at some point the real expense will be upgrading other "behind the scenes" infrastructure - breakers / wiring / panels / transformers / etc.
    There is only a finite amount of extra capacity to put in new EV charge spots before the location starts to need general power upgrades.

13. Kevin Sharpe

it's trivial.... I was at a hotel recently that had a 50kW cardboard compactor... the only people who think this power level is significant are EV drivers... none of the electrical power people I talk to see this as a problem in commercial locations.

14. Kevin Sharpe

I know at least two UK utilities who are prepared to install 50kW DC Chargers for FREE because they want the customers... I never hear them complain about the cost of infrastructure upgrades if it's going to result in more people using electricity.

15. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Kevin stop that, please :biggrin:
    Fox News moderators depict EVs as 'toasters', do not feed the 'cardboard compactor' picture to them... even more scary! :scared:

16. Kevin Sharpe

yeh, I know what you mean :biggrin:

I just suggest that anyone who thinks an EV uses a lot of power visits the power room of a mid size hotel :eek:

17. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Taking a note here....

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

19. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

And probably includes heating which could be from natural gas, etc.