Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would AP1 have reacted in time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Last weekend, my spouse and I were on I-95 in northern Massachusetts, moving along at a moderate speed in fairly heavy traffic (doing perhaps 45-60 mph), in our 2015 Model S70D. We were in the second lane from the left on a 4-lane section. A major exit was coming up on the right, a short distance ahead. I was using AP1. Suddenly, I caught a movement out of my peripheral vision -- the car next to us, in the left most "high speed" lane, was moving into our lane, rather fast. It was probably slightly ahead of us (i.e., its nose was ahead of our nose) and moving faster than we were, but the bulk of the car was still abreast of us. Instinctively, I grabbed the wheel and swerved to the right, just in the nick of time. I do not recall if I hit the brake, but it is possible I did that, too. The other car slid past us and wove its way across all 4 lanes to take the upcoming exit. The driver did not acknowledge us or hesitate, she just went.
It all happened so fast, I reacted instinctively, and never had a chance to look to see if there was a car to our right in the next lane. If there had been, I would likely have hit it (unless that driver also swerved as I did). So, we were super lucky that way. I moved over enough for the swerving car to move past us, but I cannot say how much of the second lane I used.
Anyway, the question in my mind was whether or not AP1 would have reacted fast enough to move us over, or if it would have braked or taken any other action to avoid the car encroaching on our lane. My suspicion is that it might have tried, but that would not have been fast enough. Plus, i do not have any recollection of hearing or reading if AP1 has the capability to decide on the best action in this case -- braking, moving over,. or some combination.
Anyone have any experience that would suggest how the car might have reacted had I not noticed the encroaching car? (And i do realize I am giving only a qualitative description.)

Reactions: Minecon_CA
In my experience with a 70D with AP1 I would say doubtful.

It was great at not false braking (at least up to the point where I traded it in), but it didn't react to things from the side.

Where AP2 is hyperactive when it comes to vehicles on the side in front. Like AP2 would have already been falsely braking before the guy even started to move across.

So pick your poison.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My guess is no. AP1 does move over when something is encroaching on the lane (e.g. motorcycle) but not fast enough for the scenario you describe. Even for motorcycles it doesn’t seem to move over until after the motorcycle has already passed.

• Informative
Reactions: David29