Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would AP2 ever support the DashCam feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 computers apparently can’t even emulate Pole Position. That was probably the first hint our “full self driving” computers might be a little underpowered.
It is the MCU1 that is unable to do that game, not the AP2.0 system. I too have AP2.0, which was really only in production for maybe 7 months. This means design for AP2.5 happened pretty much as soon as AP2.0 hit the road. I got a bad feeling about that one...

Reactions: arcus
It is the MCU1 that is unable to do that game, not the AP2.0 system. I too have AP2.0, which was really only in production for maybe 7 months. This means design for AP2.5 happened pretty much as soon as AP2.0 hit the road. I got a bad feeling about that one...

On the bright side, if you got FSD, they’re replacing the entire computer. Presumably there’s not much reason to not enable the features at that point. Color may be a bit off, but who cares for a security feature?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I’m peeved at this. I’m fine not getting new features the hardware doesn’t support, but why on earth was Elon on Twitter saying all AP2.0+ cars would get it?

Last edited:
Yes....Elon's statement of "all EAP" and "HW2+" has certainly turned in to a HUGE letdown for all of us with EAP HW2.0 My only hope now is that...maybe....my HW3 FSD upgrade will put me in the camp of HW2+ for this and future upgrades. My pessimistic side says there is more to it than the AP chip and we probably won't see the software enhancements that have separated HW2.0 and higher. smh smh smh

Yes....Elon's statement of "all EAP" and "HW2+" has certainly turned in to a HUGE letdown for all of us with EAP HW2.0 My only hope now is that...maybe....my HW3 FSD upgrade will put me in the camp of HW2+ for this and future upgrades. My pessimistic side says there is more to it than the AP chip and we probably won't see the software enhancements that have separated HW2.0 and higher. smh smh smh

Could we expect all HW 2 cars to have a reasonable migration path to AP 3, enabling all HW 3 features including dashcam and sentry?

Has Tesla mentioned all HW 2 cars will have a HW 3 migration path at a reasonable cost, even if they did not buy FSD? Some may have bought the car because the car was sold with hte ability/option to purchase FSD at a future date at the price designated when the car was sold.

Could we expect all HW 2 cars to have a reasonable migration path to AP 3, enabling all HW 3 features including dashcam and sentry?

Has Tesla mentioned all HW 2 cars will have a HW 3 migration path at a reasonable cost, even if they did not buy FSD? Some may have bought the car because the car was sold with hte ability/option to purchase FSD at a future date at the price designated when the car was sold.
I too wish for the same thing and part of the purchase decision was based on FSD ready HW with a specific cost to unlock. But I don’t think that is likely as there are likely other wiring changes between AP2 and AP2.5. I would also considered AP 2.0 a failed release (for FSD) as the next rev was begun likely even before AP2.0 cars hit the road.

Reactions: PhilDavid

I too wish for the same thing and part of the purchase decision was based on FSD ready HW with a specific cost to unlock. But I don’t think that is likely as there are likely other wiring changes between AP2 and AP2.5. I would also considered AP 2.0 a failed release (for FSD) as the next rev was begun likely even before AP2.0 cars hit the road.

If Tesla gets FSD working, I think there will be a HW2 => HW2.5 upgrade path (full upgrade, not just the HW3 compute unit). The wiring changes shouldn't be as bad as they sound. Yes, the HW2.5 cameras are different, but the form factor is exactly the same, as is the hardware all the way down to the sensor (it's literally just the filter that's different). So you need replacement cameras with the correct filter, but they'll drop right into the existing harness. You would need new wiring for the Continental radar but that isn't very invasive (no upholstery removal and frunk area is very accessible). There are some small changes at the point of the computer but those are even easier than the radar.

I also expect that Tesla will eventually backport Sentry and dashcam to HW2 vehicles, probably when they have time to do the work of simulating the missing B channel from the HW2 cameras. At that point, they'll be able to support both HW2 and HW2.5 variants through a (mostly) single code path.

If Tesla gets FSD working, I think there will be a HW2 => HW2.5 upgrade path (full upgrade, not just the HW3 compute unit). The wiring changes shouldn't be as bad as they sound. Yes, the HW2.5 cameras are different, but the form factor is exactly the same, as is the hardware all the way down to the sensor (it's literally just the filter that's different). So you need replacement cameras with the correct filter, but they'll drop right into the existing harness. You would need new wiring for the Continental radar but that isn't very invasive (no upholstery removal and frunk area is very accessible). There are some small changes at the point of the computer but those are even easier than the radar.

I also expect that Tesla will eventually backport Sentry and dashcam to HW2 vehicles, probably when they have time to do the work of simulating the missing B channel from the HW2 cameras. At that point, they'll be able to support both HW2 and HW2.5 variants through a (mostly) single code path.

Shouldn't the migration path for HW 2.0 be to 3.0 and not 2.5, as that's what will be needed for FSD and the HW 2.0 cars were sold under the premise that they are capable to be upgraded to FSD?

Shouldn't the migration path for HW 2.0 be to 3.0 and not 2.5, as that's what will be needed for FSD and the HW 2.0 cars were sold under the premise that they are capable to be upgraded to FSD?

Yes. The lexicon is confusing because HW 3.0 can mean either [HW2 + HW3 computer] or [HW2.5 + HW3 computer]. When I say HW2 to HW 2.5, I'm referring specifically to the cameras and radar. The HW3 compute unit would be needed regardless.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
They don’t want to give us sentry mode because it’s rccc filters. And let’s take the entire FSD upgrade with a huge huge grain of salt. Remember, AP2.5 has all different cameras and an arguable better radar in the continental.

I’m reallly starting to believe I lost that 3k bet back in 2017.

Heck, the said everyone would get lighted vanity once they were “ready”, good luck going to the SC and asking for the upgrade for free.

I asked about potential upgrading of 2.0 to 2.5 and the status of Hardware 3. This is the response

Hello,

Unfortunately, upgrading your vehicle to Autopilot 2.5 isn't a possibility. Due to the computers, cameras, and sensors involved with Autopilot 2.5, it would make the cost of such an upgrade rather lofty. While 3.0 is rumored to be in production, we don't have any official specs or performance information about it just yet.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

XXXX | Tesla Support
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

When can we expect Tesla to announce an upgrade path/procedure for HW 2.0 cars?

Hopefully it will be announced when AP 3.0 comes out...

I’m not holding my breath, they have zero incentive to do retrofits vs using supply for new sales, I think it will take months, maybe over a year before we get a retrofit. And then we have that little redundancy problem they fixed with 2.5 for the radar, but all they’ve ever said is they’ll upgrade the ECU, so it’s starting to look bleak if you bought the car between oct 2016 and August 2017.

Reactions: arcus