TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would be cool if the app had profiles..

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by gujudog, Jul 18, 2018.

1. gujudog

gujudog Member

I have 3 drivers that drive the 3... It would be cool if each got their own profile so when they walk up with THEIR phone, it would automatically recognize and set the seats/mirrors etc to their setting.

2. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

Many of us would like this setting.

3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good suggestion for Tesla. They did something similar for individual fobs on the S/X recently, so most of the software hooks should already be there.

4. JoganJani

JoganJani Member

I believe Premium package ha multi profile. You can set and select from screen. Do not know if they are tied to a device though. I've also seen a youtube video where you have a profile while leaving the car. So wheel goes up, seat goes back to make it more room to get out.

5. swood7

swood7 Member

6. Need

Need Active Member

What? It doesn't have that already? :eek:

7. swood7

swood7 Member

Not from the App.

8. Saghost

Not that I've seen. One challenge may be that I think the car belongs to a single MyTesla account at this point, with a single login that's presumably being used in all three phones.

If MyTesla was revamped to allow multiple users sharing an account with separate user IDs and passwords, tying them to driver profiles would be simpler. (This would also let some users be put under valet limits or other restrictions if appropriate.)

As it is, it seems like Tesla would have to either use an external identity given to the app by the phone, or register characteristics of the different phones to know which one it is automatically. Or they could just give you a pull down menu in the App and let you choose from all the profiles on the car. That might be the simplest approach.

9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

A phone is tied to a particular keycard (you associate the phone with a keycard when you set up the phone key). If the card can activate a profile then the phone should be able to activate a profile.

10. Saghost

Interesting. I didn't know that. That would seem like a straight port from what they gave the S/X earlier this year, then.

11. Need

Need Active Member

The only problem I see is that the range of the bluetooth is so huge, so if the car sees both phones when you pull the door handle, which profile to activate? With the keyfobs, the range is only about 12 to 15 feet. And with the keycard you have to touch the b-pillar.

12. lairdb

lairdb Member

Whichever is directly outside the driver door at the time of opening -- with four BLE transceivers (including one in each rear view mirror housing) that should be do-able.

13. Saghost

Apple does time of flight to decide if an Apple Watch is close enough to unlock a Mac, I think over Bluetooth (possibly over Wi-Fi,) Tesla should be able to do the same easily enough.

14. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

My wife's Honda is able to determine which key fob is outside the driver's door even when we are both standing right next to the car. I'm pretty sure Tesla can do the same with the phones.