TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would be great if we get a Roadster update tonight

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by AMPd, Nov 21, 2019.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I want to know the progress!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Quibbs

Quibbs Member

Agreed. I want confirmation they are going to be available by the end of 2020 (even if it's limited). At the very least update us on what's going on and when they expect production to begin.

3. electricar

electricar Member

#3 electricar, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    The progress is that Tesla has a bunch of deposits on cars that, like the Model S and Model X, are of really minor importance to the future of Tesla.

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Ok. I don’t know what your post means.

5. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I was hoping to hear - the truck would be available right after the roadster is released.:)

• Like x 1
  6. electricar

electricar Member

Elon said that the Model S and Model X are continuing in production for sentimental reasons and that they’re really of minor importance to the future. If that is the case then the Roadster is of almost no importance to the future of self-driving Model 3 and Model Y cars as envisioned by Elon. The only progress being made is to collect deposits and trot it out periodically to generate media exposure - actually producing it at this point would be counter productive to “ The Mission .” I don’t expect to able to buy one in the foreseeable future.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

How would producing the Roadster be counter productive?
    It’s going to be their least produced vehicle but it’s definitely going to be their highest profit margin vehicle.

Elon says a lot, most of it is BS. Saying the only reason the s/x production continues is for sentimental reasons falls in the BS category. Take away the profits made off those cars and tesla is in a worse financial position.

8. plaid

plaid Member

Counter-productive to the mission? It is the mission:

"The point of doing this is to just put a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars".

- Elon Musk

/

• Funny x 1
  9. Septfun

Septfun Member

Sad to report that the Roadster is no longer available to purchase from the website. Anyone found a press release from Tesla?

10. Kgorilla37

Kgorilla37 Member

How do you know that? The reservation link seems fine to me, although I didn’t hit the submit button.

11. Septfun

Septfun Member

12. Septfun

Septfun Member

No roadster

13. Septfun

Septfun Member

Seems the same applies to the US website as well

14. Septfun

Septfun Member

Nevermind, seems to be an issue only with the mobile version of the website.

15. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I’m 100% sure the Roadster will be released one day, there’s no way tesla spent all that money developing it only to not release it.
    The only question is when, I hope it’s sometime in 2020 but I won’t be surprised if it’s later than that.

16. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

It was just at the Design Studio Christmas party too. Saw a video on Reddit. Apologies I don’t have the link handy. Here’s hoping that we start to hear more about Roadster in 2020. Which we might by default, because it’d be tough to hear LESS than we did this year. ;)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  17. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Elon drove the Cybertruck to Nobu restaurant, not the Roadster for multiple reasons. Way more press coverage and potential market for the Cyber truck compared to the Roadster. Roadster is also waiting for more unrevealed tech in batteries etc to meet the claims made. Cybertruck can be made with existing tech.

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Can you post any evidence of this?

19. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

A 200 kwh battery in a small vehicle? Try putting 2 existing 100 kwh batteries in a vehicle the size of S or X or 3 let alone a low slung, low roof sports car. I could see it in the Cybertruck with existing batteries. And "SpaceX" option/package that would include a system of 10 "thrusters". Both technologies seem to be made of unobtainium right now and not in any current automotive application. Magic wipers too? Can't wait for the tech to trickle down to my budget.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

20. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Oh so you were just speculating
    Because there was a thread about this where some people who saw the vehicle in person noted the thick floor which could mean tesla simply stacked two 100kwh packs.