Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would be Model S thief thwarted by flush handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see how a flush door handle is any different than a regular one when the car is locked.

Model 3 door handles look similar to the gtr, in which case you can still pull on it but it won't do anything if the car is locked.

I guess the difference is that with the flush handle, the casual thief can't even try to open the doors since there's nothing to grab onto to see if any of them may be unlocked. The reaction from the perp in the video is priceless! For the Model 3, the ones shown in last March's reveal seem a bit on the delicate side, and I'm concerned a thief may keep tugging at it and potentially damage it. However, if the handle refuses to pivot out when pressed on the opposite end if the car is locked, then the handle isn't even presented (i.e., remains flush as with Model S).

Come to think of it, if the car is locked, the internal handles wouldn't work either. I believe they're also software controlled. So beyond a typical smash and grab, if a thief wanted to sit inside of the car - to root around in it or to steal it - (s)he'd have to climb in through a broken window I'd think.

Come to think of it, if the car is locked, the internal handles wouldn't work either. I believe they're also software controlled. So beyond a typical smash and grab, if a thief wanted to sit inside of the car - to root around in it or to steal it - (s)he'd have to climb in through a broken window I'd think.
I believe the front doors will still open from inside by pulling on the levers when locked, and even without power. I think if they're locked and you open from inside that'll just trigger the alarm.

Anyhow I read elsewhere here on TMC that even though the front interior door levers are electronic, if you pull the levers further that pulls a cable which mechanically unlocks the door. Meanwhile the rear inside door handles are electronic-only. But there's a hidden spot under the rear seats where you can pull a cable to open the rear doors mechanically - a thief likely might not know that... but then again if I recall opening the rear doors from inside when locked will still work and just trigger the alarm