Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would Changing to EV Plan Help with Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Everyone here is very helpful, so I’ll run this by y’all to see if it might work.

Current my solar system + 2 PowerWalls cover me for roughly about 75% of my use. Due to my 2nd story home being the way it is with many planes and code, I cannot get anymore panels added on.

My provider Modesto Irrigation District does not offer a solar plan for its customers. They do however have an EV plan now.

I do have to mooch off the grid at times. I was thinking of changing my plan to the EV and possibly configuring the Tesla app with the rate plans, and see if the mooching costs are cheaper. Thoughts on this?

Not sure if someone has tried this or would it be feasible?

Attached are the plans and times.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 91654235-DBE1-4285-9303-0F57648C1033.jpeg
    91654235-DBE1-4285-9303-0F57648C1033.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 94
Hello all,

Everyone here is very helpful, so I’ll run this by y’all to see if it might work.

Current my solar system + 2 PowerWalls cover me for roughly about 75% of my use. Due to my 2nd story home being the way it is with many planes and code, I cannot get anymore panels added on.

My provider Modesto Irrigation District does not offer a solar plan for its customers. They do however have an EV plan now.

I do have to mooch off the grid at times. I was thinking of changing my plan to the EV and possibly configuring the Tesla app with the rate plans, and see if the mooching costs are cheaper. Thoughts on this?

Not sure if someone has tried this or would it be feasible?

Attached are the plans and times.

Thank you in advance!
Their buyback rate is 7 cents per kWh. So it’s not great. But not really interested in making money, just lowering my mooching costs. :)

I can't believe it's only 11 cents off peak. I haven't had that rate on EVA with PG&E since 2015. Off peak is now 24 cents as of March 1st...just went up 20% after going up 10% on January 1st.
PGE has been raising costs? Really? Bring it on, keep raising, that just means I have a great true up, and or keep too keep my house hotter and colder. :(

Sure wish I had your plan, but seems like it would only be worth it if you pull a lot from the grid. So if right now your PW are covering most of your usage, it probably isn't worth switching over. You would have to be pulling a lot from the grid to make up for the $10 additional per month.

To OP...
Seems like a no-brainer...you're better off with the EV rate (making certain assumptions that you are effectively minimizing your on peak & part peak use with solar + PWs, and the extra $10 fixed monthly is a negligible difference)
Ditto...wish I had your rates

Sure wish I had your plan, but seems like it would only be worth it if you pull a lot from the grid. So if right now your PW are covering most of your usage, it probably isn't worth switching over. You would have to be pulling a lot from the grid to make up for the $10 additional per month.

What $10 additional are you referring to that isn't already being paid by everyone on the grid?

I can't believe it's only 11 cents off peak. I haven't had that rate on EVA with PG&E since 2015. Off peak is now 24 cents as of March 1st...just went up 20% after going up 10% on January 1st.

the fixed monthly cost for OP is also $30/month. at least with PG&E if your system is oversized to cover all usage the minimum cost is just $10/month... for now

To OP...
Seems like a no-brainer...you're better off with the EV rate (making certain assumptions that you are effectively minimizing your on peak & part peak use with solar + PWs, and the extra $10 fixed monthly is a negligible difference)
Ditto...wish I had your rates
Assume, once the info is punched in the app, and if I reserve all of the powerwall use for TOU, the app should take care of most of everything.

I am under the premise that I won’t have to change my behavior of appliance use, since the batteries will buffer that.

Your costs for the solar panels and inverter and storage are sunk. Are you a net producer who gets paid by PG&E? I am pretty sure that the amount PG&E pays you for being a net producer is basically nil.
Yep, what I get paid is a joke, but since I got what 26% paid by fed, and the wife is HAPPY being warm and cool, and if we get back a few hundred bucks, she is very happy. I NEVER EVER have to think about rate increases, or usage ever again. I now may even take out my 1 year old gas water heater and put in electric, since I have so much extra to use.