TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Would Extended Warranty Make Sense?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by slee, Sep 11, 2017.

1. slee

slee Member

Hi Everyone,

I am expected to receive my MX 100D next week and super excited! I have no doubt that I will love the driving experience.

However I also read up on other threads and youtube videos about non-drive train workmanship (e.g. electronics, mechanical, and exteriors), and they are either poorly assembled or bad quality. That said, an extended warranty would make sense as an insurance for these fallout.

For those of you who owned a Model X for a while (6+ months), what is your thought?
    For those of you who recently owned one, did you discover any issues that at delivery?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

It makes sense for those who will be affected and for those who can least afford the unexpected expensive repairs.

It doesn't make sense for those who will not be affected and for those who can easily pay for unexpected repair bills.

But how do you know who will be affected or not?

If I can answer that for you, I'll be so rich for being a fortune teller!

3. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

You can purchase in 3 years 360 days
    That's what I plan to do unless as trouble free as my Lexus RX 450h
    Not a penny after 7 years

4. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

Pretty sure it's a combo not an either or of having to purchase before 4 years and be below 50k miles at the time of purchase.

5. slee

slee Member

Thanks for the input and I probably need to refine my question.

Once the standard warranty expired, how much have you racked up on repair bills thus far? I guess this question only applies to those who drove more than 50k miles or owned more than 4 years.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Our '13 Model S that we have at work has ~80k miles on it and it had needed nothing more than an alignment after the warranty expired. I have ~30k miles on my '16 Model S and it has been OK so far.

• Like x 1