Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would it be dumb to NOT install a charger at my house? (Dallas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering trying to use superchargers or free public chargers around my area both at home and at work... got about 20 mile commute.

Don't think I'm going to be in my house for that long, so not sure I can justify installing a charger in my garage. It would also be somewhat expensive given my house setup (detached garage far away from the house's main circuit breaker).

Anyone else NOT install a charger at their house? Is this a common thing?

Personally I like the convenience and not having to worry about charge level, but I have seen many people post who are in a similar situation and use public charging for their cars, albeit they seem to mostly live in CA.

You didn't post which model you have, but it may end up being costly depending on where you live, do you know the SC rate if you don't have a M3P?

I would definitely set up some sort of backup plan at home, even if it is 120V charging. You can get what you need on a daily basis with about 12 hours of charging on a 120 circuit (should get 3 miles or so per hour on a 120 circuit).

Reactions: cdub and MXWing
It sounds like there are quite a few people doing this, so you wouldn’t be alone. I would say try it out and see how it goes, As the previous poster said, you can get quite a few miles per night with just a regular outlet (in a Model 3, you get 4-5 miles of charge per hour plugged in).

One of the most rewarding experiences of owning an EV for me, is the convenience of fueling the car passively when it's parked vs. actively going somewhere to charge.

If you charge off 120V (L1) in your garage that might offset the majority of your mileage, perhaps catching up on weekends if there's not enough time each night. If you can charge off an L2 a couple days each week while parked at or near work that accomplishes the same. If you're fortunate enough to have an L3 charger near a local supermarket, then you can fill up while you do your grocery shopping.

If you have to go actively charge, it may not ruin your enjoyment of the car, but it definitely eliminates one of the perks. For me, using anything but L3 to actively charge would get old real quick.

I'm considering trying to use superchargers or free public chargers around my area both at home and at work... got about 20 mile commute.

Don't think I'm going to be in my house for that long, so not sure I can justify installing a charger in my garage. It would also be somewhat expensive given my house setup (detached garage far away from the house's main circuit breaker).

Anyone else NOT install a charger at their house? Is this a common thing?

Just charge it on a 120V home outlet. It’s not very efficient but will still get your commute range back in about 5-6 hours.

Personally would find it inconvenient unless you can plug in at work, like right at work not down the street and you have to walk. Like others have said, plug into a reg wall outlet. Your commute is small so it should be enough.

The pennies it would cost for your daily commute would not be enough to justify the inconvenience..... The little money saved by free charging is not worth my time at public chargers. My time is worth more... That's just me though. Everyone is different.

Reactions: Graffi
20 mile commute.

I'm currently using the 120V outlet in my garage, charges at 5 miles per hour. With your 40 mile round trip you'd be fully charged after 8 hours.

IMG_9887.jpg IMG_0051.PNG

I work at home so most of the time it doesn't matter how long the charge takes. If I've returned from a trip (as in the screenshot above) I don't care if it takes 2-3 days to get back to full.

For the rare times I need faster charge I plug into my unused dryer outlet (as the gas dryer plugs into a standard 120V). It's far enough from the garage that I need a 14-30 extension cord. When doing this I use a comforter on the door to help keep the heat out of the house.
IMG_9873.jpg

Is it dumb not to install it? No. Is it way more convenient to have it? Yes.

I've had my model 3 for exactly one month and I haven't had a chance to install a home charger yet. I'm actually installing a 14-50 tomorrow.

Of course there are many factors that tie into the equation (commute, location of superchargers, free chargers, etc.).Luckily for me, my commute is about 15 miles round trip and Tesla just installed two city charger locations along my route home.

Yes waiting to charge 30-45mins is a an inconvenience, but it is far from the end of the world. Plus, it lets me catch up on watching The Office for the 9th time. ;) Good luck!

Last edited:
120V charging is less efficient than 240V charging for electricity cost.

Car comes with a charger. It should be $300 or less to just install a 60 AMP breaker and 6 Gauge wiring back to back with your panel so you can use your mobile connector.

Think of it is an emergency backup. There might be a time you need 30 miles per hour charging.

Just charge from a household 120v receptacle in your garage. If you’re lucky, the receptacle might be on a 20A breaker. If it is, you could then charge at 16A instead of the default 12A with a Tesla adapter for your Mobile Connector. Either way, charging at home is a lot more convenient than using a local Supercharger. Probably cheaper too since you have a Model 3.

Oh, and it isn’t uncommon if you don’t drive very much. I charged my Model S like this for about 6 months and it worked fine.

Reactions: linkster
Dig your own trench between the panel and the garage, then the cost to install a 240 V line with a 14-50 outlet is much less expensive.
Just be sure to have all the utilities come out to mark their stuff. It was free for me.

Buy an EVSE with a plug and take it with you if you move.

The alternative you are considering involves time, inconvenience, and more expensive supercharging.

One of the great pleasures of having an electric vehicle is that you can charge it at home. Is there any power in your garage? Even a 120 outlet will allow you to charge enough overnight if you only have a 20 mile commute.

This.

Trickle charge your car every night (you’ll easily gain your 20 miles back), opportunity charge when you’re out and about shopping, eating dinner etc.. and go to SuperChargers for longer distance driving.