TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Would it be worth it

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Luciano, Mar 8, 2014.

1. John Luciano

John Luciano Member

Feb 4, 2014
    I have quite a bit of Auto body experience. I have friends in the auto business both auto body and sales.
    Acquiring a wreck from insurance auction would not be a problem. Question , are body parts available, are suspension and other parts available? I guess I am asking , would it be feasible to buy a wreck and fix it?
    Insurance Auto Auctions: Vehicle Details: Vehicles

I have seen quite a few at auctions. Can get them quite cheap. Also noticed none of the front end crash have air bag deployment. .????
  2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mar 8, 2012
    The main problem is that there are no shop manuals available to allow you to work through the problems you encounter. A second problem is that Tesla may not sell you some of the parts you need. (If you purchased a Tesla you could probably then buy them, but you would have to repair quite a few to cover the initial cost.) A third problem is that the Model S is rapidly changing so purchasing two wrecks to make one car--the typical ICE approach--may not work due to incompatible hardware.

This isn't to say it couldn't be done, but don't expect a four to six week turnaround like you would using two ICE cars.