TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

would like an idling option

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by mibaro2, May 14, 2014.

1. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

When I park the car, and leave, I think it is great that it turns off on its own and shuts down.

However, when I am stopping to pick up my mail from the community mailbox, and get out of the car for 5 seconds, I find it annoying that the car has already shut off. Does anybody else feel the same way?

How about adding an idling option. you could put it in second intervals of 0 (like now),30, 120, 600.
    It would be handy for doing a quick run into the convenience store when you have an adult passenger in the car. Or if you were just unloading a box from the trunk and leaving right away.

Does the car use up more energy starting up if it is in econo mode ( I always keep mine in econo mode) versus idling for a minute or two?

Let me know what you think.

2. Zextraterrestrial

push park on the touch screen instead of the drive stalk to leave the car on

not quite the same but it will work for some of your situations

3. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Thanks. I'll try that. I figured there must have been some way to do it that I was missing.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Or you can leave you door closed to the first stop, not fully closed.

Doesn't bother me at all.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If you turn off the energy saving mode things come back on much quicker.

6. liuping

liuping Active Member

I don't really see the issue. You just press on the brake and put it in gear and it is ready to drive. That pretty much the same as leaving a regular car in idle.

The car does not go into deep sleep mode in "5 seconds", but if you find it goes to sleep during your convenience store runs, you can press the remote while you are walking back to the car to unlock the doors, that will wake the car as well, and it will be ready to go by the time you can get your seatbelt buckeled.

7. kirstenoulton

kirstenoulton Changing the world, 1 km at a time

What he is leaving out is that his poor passenger loses her music and air conditioning while he's fetching the mail!:mad:

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

If the passenger touched the touch screen the AC and music come back on. Or put it in neutral then select parking brake from screen. Everything stays on.

9. Vger

Vger Active Member

Did not know this one! I am just curious; is that documented or did you just figure it out by chance?

10. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I am curious to know if it is in the manual also. I tried it yesterday, and it worked like a charm :smile:

11. donv

donv Member

In the situation with a passenger in the car, it's simple. Put the car in neutral (first detent on the gear selector stalk), and set the parking brake using the on-screen menu. Then, leave the key in the car and everything will stay on. I do this all the time when my wife or one of my kids wants to wait in the car.

If there is no one in the car, I don't really see the point.

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

You don't need to leave the key fob in the car if you put the car in neutral and turn on parking brake via menu. Car stays on even with doors locked without key fob in car.

13. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Unless it was in deep-sleep power-saving mode, the car doesn't really "start up". When it goes from "off" to "on", it's just a software state change that allows you to drive -- kinda like when you log-out/screen-lock your PC but leave it on and then log back in like 5 seconds later. It doesn't take any extra energy.

14. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Thanks for all the information.
    And yes, it is mostly for when I have a passenger in the car.
    You've given me some options, and also info on the energy draw of turning up the car when it is off for a short time.

15. bsd

bsd Member

Put your foot on the brake (to start waking the car) before putting on your seatbelt. The car will be ready once you've managed to buckle in. It's a different order than what I'd do in an ICE.

16. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Its well known, but I do not know if the manual discusses it.

17. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I would have led with that part in you original post. FWIW, when asking "How do I do X?" type questions, consider if you're stating the problem (car shuts off with a passenger inside) rather than asking how to implement a pre-chosen solution (how to make the car idle).

It's a technique that gets constant use when I (software guy) am talking to the marketing folks about a new feature...teasing out the actual problem vs. a feature that's their pre-chosen workaround to the problem.

18. tliving

tliving Member

Every day I leave the kid (teenager) in the car to go get an AM coffee. First couple days it was a pain, stuff shut down etc. One day she opened the door from the inside to get things back on and the alarm went off. Since then she's figured that if she touches the 17" shortly after I get out (with the key) everything stays on and she gets her music while I get caffeine. No screen locks, no neutrals etc. Not quite the same issue originally posted but this works if the passenger is reasonably informed.