Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

would like an idling option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I park the car, and leave, I think it is great that it turns off on its own and shuts down.

However, when I am stopping to pick up my mail from the community mailbox, and get out of the car for 5 seconds, I find it annoying that the car has already shut off. Does anybody else feel the same way?

How about adding an idling option. you could put it in second intervals of 0 (like now),30, 120, 600.
It would be handy for doing a quick run into the convenience store when you have an adult passenger in the car. Or if you were just unloading a box from the trunk and leaving right away.

Does the car use up more energy starting up if it is in econo mode ( I always keep mine in econo mode) versus idling for a minute or two?

Let me know what you think.

However, when I am stopping to pick up my mail from the community mailbox, and get out of the car for 5 seconds, I find it annoying that the car has already shut off. Does anybody else feel the same way?

I don't really see the issue. You just press on the brake and put it in gear and it is ready to drive. That pretty much the same as leaving a regular car in idle.

The car does not go into deep sleep mode in "5 seconds", but if you find it goes to sleep during your convenience store runs, you can press the remote while you are walking back to the car to unlock the doors, that will wake the car as well, and it will be ready to go by the time you can get your seatbelt buckeled.

In the situation with a passenger in the car, it's simple. Put the car in neutral (first detent on the gear selector stalk), and set the parking brake using the on-screen menu. Then, leave the key in the car and everything will stay on. I do this all the time when my wife or one of my kids wants to wait in the car.

If there is no one in the car, I don't really see the point.

Does the car use up more energy starting up if it is in econo mode ( I always keep mine in econo mode) versus idling for a minute or two?.

Unless it was in deep-sleep power-saving mode, the car doesn't really "start up". When it goes from "off" to "on", it's just a software state change that allows you to drive -- kinda like when you log-out/screen-lock your PC but leave it on and then log back in like 5 seconds later. It doesn't take any extra energy.

And yes, it is mostly for when I have a passenger in the car.
I would have led with that part in you original post. FWIW, when asking "How do I do X?" type questions, consider if you're stating the problem (car shuts off with a passenger inside) rather than asking how to implement a pre-chosen solution (how to make the car idle).

It's a technique that gets constant use when I (software guy) am talking to the marketing folks about a new feature...teasing out the actual problem vs. a feature that's their pre-chosen workaround to the problem.

Every day I leave the kid (teenager) in the car to go get an AM coffee. First couple days it was a pain, stuff shut down etc. One day she opened the door from the inside to get things back on and the alarm went off. Since then she's figured that if she touches the 17" shortly after I get out (with the key) everything stays on and she gets her music while I get caffeine. No screen locks, no neutrals etc. Not quite the same issue originally posted but this works if the passenger is reasonably informed.