Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would like next gen seats in S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on how important the seats are to you. Would I like a reasonably priced retrofit for my S85? Sure. Will I trade in for a new one? No. The seats in my S85 are fine. I'd rather have the driving experience sooner because there will always be new "I want" features coming out.

Yep, Next Gen seat Option would make the S85 a great value.
Maybe after a while, as it seems that TM was having a hard enough time getting the Next Gen seats for the P85D.

Or maybe TM will keep them as the exclusive carrot to induce folks to order only the P85D....

The seats are a big issue for me in my S85. I'm not liking them at all. There is little to no support in certain areas. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the negative points I talk about when people ask me about the car. With that being said I'm going to hold my breath, but not for too long. I'll wait another 6-10 months to see if Tesla does anything about offering a retrofit kit for the new Recaro seats that are on the P85D. Those seats are amazeballs. I'm not going to take a huge hit by selling my car and getting a P85D because I don't need the P85D, what I have is fine with me. If in 6-10 months there is no retro fit kit I'm going to get these:

414.10.1785 Recaro | Driver Cross Sportster CS 3 Point Belt Seat with Heat Black Leather | Black Leather with Black Logo

414.10.1785.jpg

They are Recaro Sportster CS seats in leather. About $2k each, and they look almost exactly like factory sets but offer all the support you would want in something that you do long commutes with and a little bit of spirited driving. My only issue would be that I would want it to adapt to the factory mounts so that I could have adjustability. It wouldn't be too hard to do something like that.

Here are some pictures of the seats in cars:

lg_P1100952_01_4443.JPG

Sooner or later someone is going to crash one.

I can't think of any reason why an owner couldn't swap seats from a salvaged vehicle. There are no integral airbags and rarely are the front seats destroyed because the structure of the car is so robust. Though I'd still shy away from any seats that could have been subjected to high G forces-- you'd be looking for a cosmetically totaled car (of which there are alarmingly many).

I do wonder if the seat memory might be wonky afterwards....

If in 6-10 months there is no retro fit kit I'm going to get these:

414.10.1785 Recaro | Driver Cross Sportster CS 3 Point Belt Seat with Heat Black Leather | Black Leather with Black Logo

They are Recaro Sportster CS seats in leather. About $2k each, and they look almost exactly like factory sets but offer all the support you would want in something that you do long commutes with and a little bit of spirited driving. My only issue would be that I would want it to adapt to the factory mounts so that I could have adjustability. It wouldn't be too hard to do something like that.

Here are some pictures of the seats in cars:

Be aware that you'll need to extract the seat sensors from the factory seats. If you don't you lose the passenger side frontal airbag (won't deploy unless there's so much weight in the seat), and the ability to start the car (car won't start without someone in the driver's seat). Once you do that, no matter what you've lost the side airbags for the front passengers. I HATE the standard seats, but nothing's worth compromising the safety systems for better replacements.

Edit: I second-guessed my recollection that the side airbags are seat-mounted based on a comment above, but I shouldn't have. The side airbags are indeed in the seats: Heres Safest Vehicle, Looks Like After NHTSA Crash Tests (36 High-Res Images) | Inside EVs

Last edited:
My point in this thread was whether I should wait (assuming it's not a year) till Tesla puts the next gen seats in all models and not just the P85D.

I am ready to order now. But, I don't really need a car now as my Lexus is only 2 years old.
But I love the MS.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I would think that maintaining an entirely separate line of seating that has been disliked from the beginning is not in Tesla's plans. If I were them, I'd make the new seats standard as soon as possible.

This is exactly my thinking. I even called 2 different SCs to find out if they had any idea or would say something as to whether these new seats will be in all models anytime soon. They both said they have no idea.

.../ Does anyone besides me think it makes sense to wait till the next gen seats are available on the S85 to place an order?
thanks.
I do.

If I was even able to buy a Model S I would be stretching a lot. Regardless I would have to be able to pay cash to cover the value loss and then some if I for some reason could no longer afford to own it. And that probably would also mean having to loan 15% or so of the cost from my parents. So I would be getting a fairly bog standard S. Dual chargers, subzero and black headliner. Maybe silver instead of standard white. Maybe dual motors if it adds range. Maybe the tech. package to get cornering LEDs, foglights, parking sensors and folding mirrors.

I’ve never been in a Tesla. Since I can’t afford one there’s really no point of sitting in one. I’ve only ever seen five Model Ss. (And one of those sightings were when I decided to go for a little mini Tesla safari and scout out the local Supercharger…)

But even so: I’m absolutely certain, that since I would be poring in literally all the money I had (and a Model S is a lot more expensive in Sweden due to our 25% VAT and our pretty sucky incentives), I would absolutely want the Next Gen seats. I would not buy a Model S without them. No way.

Now, if I already had a nice home (In Sweden those go for anywhere between $375K and $1250K or upwards), and could more or less loose the money that would disappear if I flipped my standard seat Model S as soon as the new seats became available to order with any 85 kWh S… Then that would perhaps be a different matter…

Last edited:
I am actually having the same dilemma. Almost ordered a P85D but I just think I don't need the extra performance but want a bigger frunk. Next gen seat is something that I want...every day I am hoping the next gen seat is introduced to other models

After sitting in the NextGen seat last weekend, I would definitely not buy another Model S without them. They make a huge difference. Absolutely Night and Day.

My wife hates the current seats, but loved the Next Gen. Even the back seats were much more comfortable.

Hopefully there is a retrofit available at some point for older cars.

After sitting in the NextGen seat last weekend, I would definitely not buy another Model S without them. They make a huge difference. Absolutely Night and Day.

My wife hates the current seats, but loved the Next Gen. Even the back seats were much more comfortable.

Hopefully there is a retrofit available at some point for older cars.

Thats exactly why I'll wait to submit my order. It could be weeks or months but I'll wait.