TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would Tesla adjust price a little for tax relief

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bcsteeve, May 11, 2018.

?

Would/should Tesla reduce the price by $100.01 to save customer $6.3k?

1. Yes. They should, they would.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Yes They should, but they won't.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Yes. They will, but they shouldn't - people should pay their taxes in full

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No. They won't, and good on them for it.

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

I drive my friend around in my Model S and he's looking at buying a Model X and he asked me an interesting question that I thought I'd pass on to you guys. Of course, we could just ask Tesla... but I'm curious what you think.

He wants a fairly base one, but definitely needs the range of the 100D. Stripping out all the options (including some he'd otherwise get), the price comes to $125,100.

Here in BC, our luxury tax table is like this:

You'll notice that he's only $100.01 away from a 5% total savings! Put another way, if Tesla were to reduce the price by a mere $100.01, he'd avoid $6370.01 in taxes.

For fun, I've made this a poll but feel free to respond in full.

2. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

Ps. If there's some legit way to reduce the price (is that referral discount still available and does it come off the top?), feel free to enlighten me... but I'm still curious how you'd answer the poll (call it a social experiment on taxation views) :)

3. eros

eros Member

#3 eros, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    It used to be where a referral gives you $1400 off the price, but its no longer like that. Currently it gives you unlimited supercharging.

If you need a referral though, let me know :)

More details:

Current Referral Program
    Tesla customers can give friends exclusive benefits on Model S and Model X with their personal referral code.

Model S and Model X: Free Unlimited Supercharging
    Owners can give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S or Model X.
    Previous (May 19th, 2017)
    Starting May 19, 2017, Tesla owners can give five friends free unlimited Supercharging and a $1,400 credit toward a new Model S or Model X with their personal referral code. Existing Tesla owners will also receive free unlimited Supercharging on any new Model S or Model X that they purchase - no referral required.

But yeah, I agree with you, $100 to save thousands... Should be a no-brainer. Tesla actually did this in Germany, where they lowered the MSRP of the car, by removing software enabled features, so they can get within the 60,000 Euro mark for their incentive.

4. bcsteeve

bcsteeve Member

Over the phone, the local guys said they could make it work. I'm guessing they have some discretion with the freight and PDI. I realize Tesla works different than most "dealers", but nobody's going to let a $125k sale walk out the door over a hundred bucks.

5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Why not pursue a demo or inventory car? The often discount those. Still a "new" car officially.

6. noicepls

noicepls Member

FYI, if the NDP gets in next month in Ontario, they are reported to have talked about doing this luxury sales tax too.