TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Would Tesla announce new features 1st week of January?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Jrogville, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Based on what you've seen in the past, how likely is Tesla to announce new features the first week in January? I've been thinking about the strategy some have mentioned to order the last day of the year, thus qualifying for the free SC, then seeing if something gets announced within the 7 day grace period. You could then cancel the order without penalty if the new feature were worth giving up the free SC for.

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Tesla tends to just announce things when they're ready to announce them (AP2 hardware), or when they think they'll have the most strategic impact (solar roof).

I wouldn't say the first week of January is likely — that's when the big CES show is going on and whatever they do will be drowned out by the flood of tech news coming out of Vegas. If they're smart (which they usually are), they'll wait and see what Faraday Future announces as CES and then do a "That's nice, but we made this and you can buy it today" announcement.

• Like x 1
  4. xcell

xcell MX Driver

8.1x probably?

5. MTOman

MTOman Member

My sales rep informed me that production is already backed up until late March (custom order page confirms this) and that any orders placed with an estimated delivery date of April will not get free unlimited supercharging. He said as long as the order is placed while Late March is the delivery date you will get free supercharging assuming you don't hold things up, if Tesla delays delivery you'll still get it. However, if you wait and place your order when the delivery date is April then sales reps won't be able to do anything to help, you'll simply miss out on the free charging. He said if I wait until the end of the month I'll likely miss out on a late March delivery, so I went ahead and placed my order today just to be safe :)

You may want to check with your sales rep but that's what I was told, for what it's worth!

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The current referral incentive period ends January 15th. I'm guessing the next feature release will be shortly after that.

• Like x 2
  7. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Yes, MTOman, I subsequently came to that conclusion as well, after some discussions with my rep. I left my order in place and it was confirmed last night. What she was able to do is get a ship date for around March 7 which will safely get me delivery toward the end of March. That delays the manufacture and gives me a shot at perhaps Tesla in the meantime announcing the non-performance 100kwh battery with a chance for me to upgrade before production.

8. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

That sounds reasonable to me and others have said it as well. I'm thinking my magic date is around February 15 (they start building it?) if they're going to deliver around March 7. After manufacture, it would get a lot more expensive to change things. It's funny that with all the dissatisfaction in the forum with Tesla's delivery delays, I find myself hoping that my order will be delayed as much as possible, since the SC thing is safe for me.

9. xcell

xcell MX Driver