Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would Tesla honor my FSD purchase if I modify Model S?

emir-t

Oct 28, 2013
Istanbul
Hey;

Living in Turkey, your average Tesla ownership experience is quite alone. It was, at least until we started out a 3rd party repair service in our market as the Tesla owner's club of the country.(E-Garaj/TeslaTurk)

I am driving a 2017 Model S 90D built in March. After just 420 cycles or so my battery has crossed 118,000km (73k miles) and has an 11% or so degradation. That leaves me a usable 72kWh juice if I use all of it in one go. If I park in between and my contactors open giving the BMS a chance to recalibrate with impedance values, usable capacity drops to something embarrassing like 68kWh. That gives me around 170miles of highway range driving in speeds like 75-85mph. (traffic's speed) Also the pack tapers quite bad too so charging above 70% is quite slow.

My car is done with the 4 year general warranty but I'm still awaiting the Autopilot HW 3.0 upgrade to be done on my car as FSD was purchased originally with the car. Also still has the 8 year unlimited warranty for drive unit and HV battery. I also want to get MCU2 too at some point, preferably do it myself in our service since MCU is not a warranty item. My drivetrain is perfectly fine and I really enjoy the car. Buying another Tesla is not an option as 2018 brought in an additional 60% tax to US built cars so it costs almost twice as it did now. So I feel like the battery is my only constraint and I found a salvage 100kWh battery pack. Tempted to buy and install on my car and get 25-30% range increase yet I'm afraid Tesla might take away;

- Free supercharging for life. (although I can enable myself I don't want to find myself in a cat/mouse game)
- Free HW3.0 for FSD
- Another 5 years worth of warranty left with the drive unit.

What do you think? Is modifying Teslas a sin?

D.E.

Uncorked
Oct 12, 2016
Ann Arbor, MI
You should ask Tesla. Everything you read here is an opinion.

Any modification that does not cause damage the car should not affect your warranty. Those are the laws here in the US, your laws may be different.

If you purchased FSD, it should stay with the car unless the car passes though Tesla ownership, if that happens they’ll strip the FSD and the free supercharging from the car.

If you do anything to the car that could be interpreted as altering the car to endanger Tesla’s charger system, they’ll very likely suspend or remove the ability to supercharge. Changing your battery pack will require a change to software/firmware so the car can recognize that additional battery capacity.

Anyway, Tesla is going to be your source for information.

Chaserr

Hyperactive Hyperdrive
Sep 5, 2017
Logan
You purchased FSD. They can't keep your money and give you nothing because of a modification. They can void warranty if you break something with your modifications but they can't take your property away from you. If they don't want to give you what you already paid for, they can choose to refund you the money but Tesla is unlikely to give you cash rather than the upgrade.

Cheburashka

Jan 29, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
Better you should get your “no” before doing the modification than after.

Tesla's answers aren't worth anything. They can easily say one thing then do another.

You purchased FSD. They can't keep your money and give you nothing because of a modification. They can void warranty if you break something with your modifications but they can't take your property away from you. If they don't want to give you what you already paid for, they can choose to refund you the money but Tesla is unlikely to give you cash rather than the upgrade.

In the USA, yes, but you'll probably still have to fight with Tesla if they take it away, and they can remove Supercharger access at any time.

OP is in Turkey, so no idea what the laws are there, but Tesla isn't exactly known for being a good citizen at following the legal framework.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr

Altes

Sep 30, 2016
SF Bay area
What do you think? Is modifying Teslas a sin?

Yes it is, at least in america. I have an aftermarket stereo installed (after warranty expired thank god) and everytime i bring it in they try to blame the stereo on whatever failure happened (4x Steering wheel controls, 1X MCU (going on 2X) new motor and axles 1x)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC