Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would this be feasible/reasonable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

When I ordered my inventory car, the website said "14 day delivery available." Fast forward 21 days and my car isn't even on a truck yet, I'm running up against two time-sensitive issues
1) My $250 vehicle registration is due Oct 31
2) My Carmax offer for my trade-in expires Nov 3. I'm told that Tesla only matches these offers while they are valid

I haven't had the best delivery experience so far; my DS is not communicative or responsive, and doesn't seem interested in proactively finding out information about my car and its delay.

Anyway, does anyone think I'd have success in getting a written offer to accept my trade at the Carmax price after Nov3 if the car is further delayed? The Carmax offer is $1500 above the Tesla quote (which came in an e-mail, they never updated the MyTesla order page). If so, do I talk to the DS about that or a manager?

I also would like to just park the car in their lot on the 31st and let the plate expire, so that on the day of delivery I just hand over the title. Thoughts on that too?

If you're willing to park the car at the SC on the 31st and let your plates expire, why not just sell it to CarMax and put that money down on your MS on delivery day? I didn't have a trade-in, so I'm not sure if there is any advantage to selling it to Tesla over CarMax, other than convenience (which doesn't seem to apply in your situation).

Either way, good luck! ;)

I ran into the same issue. I let my plates expire on my trade in car, and then just drove it to the SC when I traded it in. It was my "toy", so I didn't drive it after it was expired. My carmax quote expired as well. But Tesla was offering $500 more for my car than Carmax, so I didn't even bother going back to Carmax a month later.

Drive it to Tesla and dump it. Rent a car until your X comes in?

I was able to confirm today that I can leave it in the parking lot, so I will be doing that. If we hit Thursday and my car isn't here (I'm not optimistic) I'm told that I can "pre trade" it and sign the title over. That stresses me out a bit though in case it's a longer delay or (heaven forbid) there is a problem during shipment.

I was hoping to hear that they'd just update their offer to match Carmax out of courtesy. It isn't like day 8 the car will change - heck, the mileage stops Monday.