Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you? (add 20" factory wheels)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. I think 19's are the perfect size for the 3.

Not the smallest, not the largest, but just right.

Great size rim and you don't take the biggest hit on efficiency.

My 19's certainly don't look small

NFDdRWx.jpg

Niiiiice!!

Absolutely not. If someone gave me a free set I'd flip them immediately.

Worse ride quality, worse range, more prone to damage, heavier (slower acceleration) and no actual benefit because they're the same width so it's not even a bigger contact patch.

Someone's going to say "but but muh sidewall flex and its effect on steering response", to which I say if you think there's an appreciable difference running the same high-performance tires with the same amount of wear on the 18s vs the 20s, you better be able to back it up with track times or be a professional racer, because I think you're full of it.

Am I saying that Tesla put on wheels that actually make the performance worse on the Performance model cars? Yes, yes I am.

Great feedback! Also, thank you everyone. I decided to steer clear of those 20's. Pun intended.

Coming from someone who has owned two 3’s and driven on multiple sets of wheels, there is not any noticeable difference in performance or even ride quality. The 20’s look way better than the 18’s/19’s obviously but it depends on your needs. If you’re doing long roadtrips the smaller wheels would be better for range but if you’re just city driving/commuting the performance wheels are a better choice aesthetically. The whole range/ride quality debate is a bit overblown imo with opinions of ppl who’s never ridden on different wheels.
The range was exactly the same in my previous LR 3. Going from 19’s to 20’s, my efficiency stayed at 279 wh/mi avg in commuting conditions. And I did not notice any ride degradation at all.

Last edited:
On 19” I was averaging about 292 wh/mi. On 18” non-aero about 285 wh/mi. With 20” about 340 wh/mi.

the other big difference was with the 20”, rolling acceleration from highway speeds was significantly slower than bothe the 18” & 19”.
Just to site actual facts not about facts - My P3 has a lifetime average of 298 wh/mi with 17,000 miles on the clock with the factory 20" in the summer and after market 20" in the winter with winter tires. Most of the driving is local with 30% being on the interstate. There is no measurable performance differences in a 1/4 mile and your reaction time will play a bigger factor than the wheels will.

With that, beware of the potholes.

Reactions: Sam1
Just to site actual facts not about facts - My P3 has a lifetime average of 298 wh/mi with 17,000 miles on the clock with the factory 20" in the summer and after market 20" in the winter with winter tires. Most of the driving is local with 30% being on the interstate. There is no measurable performance differences in a 1/4 mile and your reaction time will play a bigger factor than the wheels will.

With that, beware of the potholes.

my dragy time was a little slower 60-130 (reaction time is irrelevant on this) with 20” than it was with both the 18” and 19”, just as a side note.

it’s pretty much impossible to compare one person’s efficiency to another, so if you had 19” or something on your car for 10k miles, comparing that number to the 298 would be more accurate

Coming from someone who has owned two 3’s and driven on multiple sets of wheels, there is not any noticeable difference in performance or even ride quality. The 20’s look way better than the 18’s/19’s obviously but it depends on your needs. If you’re doing long roadtrips the smaller wheels would be better for range but if you’re just city driving/commuting the performance wheels are a better choice aesthetically. The whole range/ride quality debate is a bit overblown imo with opinions of ppl who’s never ridden on different wheels.
The range was exactly the same in my previous LR 3. Going from 19’s to 20’s, my efficiency stayed at 279 wh/mi avg in commuting conditions. And I did not notice any ride degradation at all.

Thanks for the feedback!! I'm not going to drop a ton of cash for a bit better looks if they all perform the same on the street. I don't drive a lot, and I don't drive far. My only interest is better handling. Currently, I have the factory tires which seem to handle pretty decently and have solid sidewall. However, I imagine that something like an 18" Pilot Sport 4 All Season would feel much sportier.

my dragy time was a little slower 60-130 (reaction time is irrelevant on this) with 20” than it was with both the 18” and 19”, just as a side note.

it’s pretty much impossible to compare one person’s efficiency to another, so if you had 19” or something on your car for 10k miles, comparing that number to the 298 would be more accurate

Very interesting feedback!

You will take a significant range hit and the ride will be more harsh..........but they do look much better. :p
Thanks for the feedback!! I'm not going to drop a ton of cash for a bit better looks if they all perform the same on the street. I don't drive a lot, and I don't drive far. My only interest is better handling. Currently, I have the factory tires which seem to handle pretty decently and have solid sidewall. However, I imagine that something like an 18" Pilot Sport 4 All Season would feel much sportier.
If handling is your main interest, off the bat if the performance wheels come with the oem ps4’s, that in itself is a significant upgrade in handling.

6000 miles and numerous Chicago road "irregularities" later, my 20" Performance wheels have survived the spring/summer/fall with nary a flaw to be seen. I've taken some pretty good whacks, so I'm thinking the 20" Tesla wheel not so terribly fragile (it shouldn't be at almost 29lbs!). Might want to just buy some "take-offs" that come up pretty often on this site at very reasonable prices. My winter Vredesteins on 18" wheels might ride a smidgeon better, I'm sure they can take more abuse, but I think you can indulge your aesthetic preference without much worry!