TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would you be willing to buy your M≡ options now?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Garlan Garner, Sep 3, 2016.

?

Would you be willing to order your options now?

1. Yes

48.1%
  2. No

51.9%
  1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Pencils are down.

It appeasers that Tesla is in need of Capital. This is just a simple question.

If configuration was available, would you be willing to buy your options on the Tesla website now?

One benefit might be that you won't have to pay interest on options - (for those that are financing).

Another benefit might be that there would be no way to accidently splurge your down payment.

A detriment might be that you won't accrue any interest on the money you use ( not that there are many opportunities to do so right now. )

• Dislike x 1
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Um, you do realize that there's going to be a second reveal event, don't you?

3. Garlan Garner

sure.
    Not sure why that would have anything to do with ordering options or not.

• Dislike x 1
  4. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

As much as I trust Elon, I want more information before I can decide whether or not the car is right for me.

5. S'toon

Kind of makes having a second reveal useless if you come up with the options now.

Upcoming! The second reveal! "Who cares? We already know what it looks like, costs, and what the options are."

Kind of idiotic marketing you're proposing.

6. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

If you want to give Tesla more money, buy stock.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  7. Neohippy

Neohippy Member

Only if I got Ludicrous thrown in free.

• Funny x 1
  8. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

I am guessing that you don't have a lot of history with Tesla vehicles. But they have quite a track record of announcing things that never happen, get ridiculously delayed, or get discontinued. Model S lighted vanity mirrors, Model S sunshade for the panoramic roof, performance interior, executive rear seats, front console, rear console, silver paint, gray interior, Model X black onyx wheels, Model X 5 seat interior just to name a few. Your best option is to set your money aside so that it is ready when the time comes to order.

Edit: if you want to help Elon and earn some interest, albeit with a bit of risk, buy some SolarCity bonds.

9. S'toon

The only time a company gets money from an IPO or subsequent stock offering, or bond issues. They get nothing from stocks traded on an exchange.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. gregd

gregd Member

I believe that financial rules (Revenue Recognition) would prevent them from actually using any money you gave them to purchase stuff, until they actually deliver said product. It would be nice gesture, but not something that would tangibly help, other than as evidence in support of them getting a loan.

11. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Yeah, my blind trust for a startup company of any kind only goes so far.

• Like x 1
  12. Garlan Garner

Wow idiotic? I and I get reprimanded.

• Dislike x 1
  13. Garlan Garner

I thought the 5K deposit on MS's ( early on ) was used to build MS's. Maybe not.

14. gregd

gregd Member

Not sure about the MS deposits specifically, but in a talk I watched by Marc Tarpenning, he specifically noted that they had to put the original Roadster deposits in a separate account for safe keeping. I also think that one can put down a deposit that gets spent for materials (construction scenario), but I'm not sure if that would apply to something like a car (there's no itemized bill of materials on the invoice), and either way we're certainly not there yet with the Model 3. Not a financial expert here, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Sparky22

Sparky22 Member

Even though I think its a unrealistic proposal, but having the second reveal earlier would bring more orders and more money for Tesla.
    If any of the speculations on the interior are true I think Tesla will reach close to million reservations, at $1000 a pop that's extra $600 mil.

• Like x 2
  16. Booga

Booga Member

Good thinking, though revenue recognition doesn't affect capital use with current rules. One is a capital related risk (more similar to the balance sheet) whereas the other affects revenues and profitability (income statement).

Once tesla raises the next round, I would have no issue prepaying for a part of my car behind the initial $1,000 we already put down.

I want them to confirm 300+ miles of range with upgrades and then they can have my money.

17. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

No. I don't trust EM with more than $1K, which I'm willing to lose.

• Like x 1
  18. Drivin

Drivin Member

How does this give Tesla more money?

When you buy stock you are buying it from other people who are selling. Tesla doesn't get a dime.

• Like x 1
  19. Drivin

Drivin Member

Revenue recognition rules only apply to when they can recognize revenue (as you pointed out, can't recognize it is revenue until the product gets delivered), not how they can spend money they receive as deposits.

The specific terms of the deposit agreement will govern what they can and can't do with the money.

• Dislike x 1
  20. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Generally, agreed. In theory, though, buyers in aggregate create buy-side pressure and raise the price of the stock. That helps with valuation in secondary offerings, which is money that Tesla does get.

• Informative x 3