Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you be willing to buy your M≡ options now?

Would you be willing to order your options now?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Revenue recognition rules only apply to when they can recognize revenue (as you pointed out, can't recognize it is revenue until the product gets delivered), not how they can spend money they receive as deposits.

The specific terms of the deposit agreement will govern what they can and can't do with the money.
Ha, ok. I guess that makes sense. Thanks!

When the Model S was coming, there was a 40 kW version on the list, albeit at the back of the priority line. Then, shortly after release, no 40 kW cars. I can't see putting any more down until it comes configure time and the base price is what I have been it would be all along.

For instance, if Tesla said there was very little demand for the small battery, rear wheel drive and standard performance models, so only the super sized battery, AWD with Ludicris will be built with a new base price of {pick your favorite extreme amount}, then I will be forced to cancel. My budget only allows so much for a car, awesome electric or not. I'd really like to go through with my purchase though.

When the Model S was coming, there was a 40 kW version on the list, albeit at the back of the priority line. Then, shortly after release, no 40 kW cars. I can't see putting any more down until it comes configure time and the base price is what I have been it would be all along.

For instance, if Tesla said there was very little demand for the small battery, rear wheel drive and standard performance models, so only the super sized battery, AWD with Ludicris will be built with a new base price of {pick your favorite extreme amount}, then I will be forced to cancel. My budget only allows so much for a car, awesome electric or not. I'd really like to go through with my purchase though.

That was a different scenario, and I don't think Tesla will go that route this time around.

1. The Model S was aimed at a different demographic, and the S40 was admittedly a very "neutered" version of the product. Many who wanted a Model S had more money to spend, and that's why demand for the 40 was so low that it was scrapped.

2. The Model 3 absolutely has to be available in its "$35,000 configuration". It would be a PR disaster if Tesla promised an "affordable, mass market EV" and then changed their minds. Besides, 377,000 pre-orders....at least 10,000 of those have to be Base Models, worldwide anyway.

Keep in mind, also, they'll have more wiggle room to keep the base model available than they did on the Model S40.

Everyone who is buying well-optioned Model S, Model X and Model 3's are helping Tesla cover their margins on a base Model 3.

You will be able to get a $35,000 Tesla, you'll just have to wait until they pocket some other people's money first.

They'll stick to the base price - it would be too negative on their public image to move that among reservation holders.

They can indirectly alter it, however, because things like Autopilot will be purchased by a high percentage of owners nearly no matter what the price within a reasonable range. Same goes for many options. (I won't accept delivery of a car with less than 300 miles of range for example)

They'll stick to the base price - it would be too negative on their public image to move that among reservation holders.

They can indirectly alter it, however, because things like Autopilot will be purchased by a high percentage of owners nearly no matter what the price within a reasonable range. Same goes for many options. (I won't accept delivery of a car with less than 300 miles of range for example)

Yea, bumping up the price of Autopilot (and likely other options in the near future), and getting ready to decouple the price of Supercharging will go a long way towards them being able to sell the base model without taking too bad of a financial hit on each one produced.

No.
Why would I buy a stereo I can't listen to first?
Why would I buy a suspension I can't feel first?
Why would I buy a seat I can't sit in first?

This car has a lot of question marks around it. You'd have to be really rich or really faithful to choose options without any info about your choices.

No.
Why would I buy a stereo I can't listen to first?
Why would I buy a suspension I can't feel first?
Why would I buy a seat I can't sit in first?

This car has a lot of question marks around it. You'd have to be really rich or really faithful to choose options without any info about your choices.

I went through this 2 years ago with my Audi.

The A3 sedan was all-new....well, sorta, it's based off the current-generation Golf chassis, so I had an idea of what size it would ultimately be, but the step up from VW to Audi came with a few differences.

I knew the upgraded stereo would be a Bang and Olufsen, so I went with brand recognition/blind faith on that.

And by the time they had their "Meet the A3" event, mine was actually already on the production line, so I had already committed.

And it didn't matter anyway, because the model they used was a base model, so the suspension and seats I got to feel, and stereo I got to hear, didn't match up with what I had already paid for.

The only things that matched were engine and transmission, and wheel size.

I imagine you're going to see a mismatch from what they bring around as Model 3 test drivers, and what people order.

Luckily though, Teslas have "demo mode". Hopefully that will carry over to a Model 3, and they ship PxxD-L's to all of the galleries, and you can test drive the various configurations (because obviously the car can only recreate "lesser" configurations, so hopefully they send us maxed out models to test).

And still.....we wait.....

Tell sa could offer a pre order option list with a guaranteed pricing at time of delivery...

Not that I would pay more than ten percent of the cost of the options...pre ordering would give tesla a good idea on what people will be ordering and it would greatly simplify the production process...

Or tesla could offer packages of grouped options with a nice discount to get a simpler launch production...

If a buyer does this then tesla could offer a substantial discount if paid up front or at least a percentage of the package...

Just tossing the ideas around and not really sure.

Tell sa could offer a pre order option list with a guaranteed pricing at time of delivery...

Not that I would pay more than ten percent of the cost of the options...pre ordering would give tesla a good idea on what people will be ordering and it would greatly simplify the production process...

Or tesla could offer packages of grouped options with a nice discount to get a simpler launch production...

If a buyer does this then tesla could offer a substantial discount if paid up front or at least a percentage of the package...

Just tossing the ideas around and not really sure.
I'm a fan of the package route, especially if it yields a discount and/or is clear that it puts my production in a generally prioritized order. With the tax credit expiration likely not long after deliveries start, I want to ensure I get it even if I need to buy extra options. Range is a given for highway travel at decent speed (70-75mph cruising) and so is autopilot. Everything else will depend on pricing but I'd love all wheel drive if it's not too expensive.

Guess I might as well vote in this since the forum has been slow recently. Nope for me. My money is better off paying down other debts while waiting for the Model 3. I'm still not even 100% sure I will be getting the Model 3 right off bat. I'm only going to get a Model 3 with all of my must have options. When I'm able to get those options depends on whether I will be eligible for the full tax credit or not. I don't need a new car right now, so I'd be fine waiting to buy a Model 3.

Is this a trick question?

First we'd need to know what the options were before we could make an informed decision. Is there an options lists somewhere that I've missed?

Hypothetically, if a list of the options existed and we were certain the list wasn't going to change (items taken off, items added, items changed) then okay. Unless of course you're suggesting/assuming we'd pay for those options ahead of the car's production. Are you? Or would this be so Tesla can collect data ahead of production to determine what will be popular options vs not popular so they could change their options mix before production...........

First we'd need to know what the options were before we could make an informed decision. Is there an options lists somewhere that I've missed?

Hypothetically, if a list of the options existed and we were certain the list wasn't going to change (items taken off, items added, items changed) then okay. Unless of course you're suggesting/assuming we'd pay for those options ahead of the car's production. Are you? Or would this be so Tesla can collect data ahead of production to determine what will be popular options vs not popular so they could change their options mix before production...........

Nope, no trick questions here.

I'm just wondering if people would be ok to buy options such as a $2500 AP option now/early - thinking that one benefit is so that you won't have to finance your options. - thinking that Tesla is in a cash crunch and is in need of capital. - or whatever.

Just hoping that someone here would think outside the box and post other options such as - the ability to avoid paying tax on options if purchased early.

Nope, no trick questions here.

I'm just wondering if people would be ok to buy options such as a $2500 AP option now/early - thinking that one benefit is so that you won't have to finance your options. - thinking that Tesla is in a cash crunch and is in need of capital. - or whatever.

Just hoping that someone here would think outside the box and post other options such as - the ability to avoid paying tax on options if purchased early.
Buying them now so you don't have to finance your options doesn't make sense, if you have the money now, invest it and earn interest on it. Also, if Tesla were to be able to use it, that would mean that your order is no longer cancellable.

Buying them now so you don't have to finance your options doesn't make sense, if you have the money now, invest it and earn interest on it. Also, if Tesla were to be able to use it, that would mean that your order is no longer cancellable.

This. Plus, what would be the difference between paying now rather than just putting that money towards your down payment at purchase? All you'd be doing is basically locking yourself out of any flexibility with your money.