Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Be Willing To Share Your Car?

Would you be willing to add your car to the Tesla Shared Fleet?

• Yes

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mentioned this in another thread, but the Model S/X are at the wrong price points and current Tesla owners are the wrong demographic to consider sharing their primary vehicle. I wouldn't share my Model 3 for a number of reasons, including not wanting any of the sunglasses or other personal items that I tend to keep in the car stolen.

How about a slightly different question, because there's a potential business angle hidden in Elon's statement:

Would you consider buying/leasing a second Model 3 if sharing it full time made you $35K/year? (One year to break-even)

I mentioned this in another thread, but the Model S/X are at the wrong price points and current Tesla owners are the wrong demographic to consider sharing their primary vehicle. I wouldn't share my Model 3 for a number of reasons, including not wanting any of the sunglasses or other personal items that I tend to keep in the car stolen.

How about a slightly different question, because there's a potential business angle hidden in Elon's statement:

Would you consider buying/leasing a second Model 3 if sharing it full time made you $35K/year? (One year to break-even)
I think that's an idea, but I'll bet there will be Tesla owned and operated sharing cars available in major cities that will generate extra revenue for Tesla.

Yes that is the question.

Would you buy a full-autonomous car for renting it considering with would make you money (break-even is not enough IMO) AND you can use it as much as you like?

Keep in mind you can have your M3 or MS (or who knows a Roadster) in your garage for you only. Maybe one where you can disable completely the level-4 autonomous driving for your pleasure (and risk).

Share my car? Like a 55K to 60K Euro Model 3? Absolutely not. The thought alone makes me shudder. Neither would I ever dream of using such a service.

I can understand that for people in urban areas with great public transport such a sharing model can be quite useful as an add-on, but for people like us who live in the countryside and rely heavily on being flexible 24/7, no way. Add the fact that for many people (like us) a car is a very personalized item and much more than just a means of transport. If we drove no-frills econoboxes, maybe, but not as it is.

As for getting a second one to share and generate revenue? How many people would I need to use my car in order to make a profit? I would wager far more than would realistically be available over here to ever just break even, let alone make money of it. This is not LA or some other major urban area over here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jkk_
I'm voting "maybe." Like MissAutobahn says, sometimes there are conditions. Perhaps I could have a list of friends, family members and co-workers whom I can trust to rent my car. Perhaps I could only send it out during regular business hours for commuting to work, but not send it out on weekend evenings to carry drunk people on a pub crawl. Perhaps I would only accept customers with a certain feedback rating (does Uber have this already? I haven't used Uber). And, if the economics work, perhaps some of us will build up a small fleet of basic Model 3's just to earn income.

I would vote for another option: SOMETIMES

Normally you have private stuff in your car. If I have to fly away abroad for a longer time, I would empty the car and share it maybe with people I know.... personally... :cool:
Yes, "Sometimes" and "Only to people I know" are good options that I should have included. Interestingly I did consider the "only to people I know" part, but then I thought anyone I trusted unconditionally with the car would be a relatively close friend or good acquaintance and I likely wouldn't be inclined to want to charge them! At this stage I'd be far more focused on using this as a tactic to woo them out of their ICE-mobiles.

I'm voting "maybe." Like MissAutobahn says, sometimes there are conditions. Perhaps I could have a list of friends, family members and co-workers whom I can trust to rent my car. Perhaps I could only send it out during regular business hours for commuting to work, but not send it out on weekend evenings to carry drunk people on a pub crawl. Perhaps I would only accept customers with a certain feedback rating (does Uber have this already? I haven't used Uber). And, if the economics work, perhaps some of us will build up a small fleet of basic Model 3's just to earn income.
The most secure system I've yet seen for vetting guest drivers for private rentals is Turo's. I had to send them all kinds of different pics of me with both my drivers licence and passport for them to run checks before I could rent from them (getting a S70D from a gent on that site for my visit to the factory in August, can't wait) and they also have a system to rate both providers and renters on the site like Uber. Something like this will definitely be required and may help allay fears. I still think I would only do it with a second vehicle bought for that purpose.

I think that if you lease a car and instead of paying 300$ a month you paid 0$ a month to have it, alooot of people would share the car and the demand for tesla cars would be like Elon would say "order of magnitude" higher than what it is now.

Well, some people like myself already share their cars to help make them more affordable. I rent my car on Turo to complete strangers, and I also Uber occasionally.

Oh, and the vacation rental industry, where people rent out their million dollar vacation properties seems to be doing quite well with companies like AirBnB making it even more popular. I've rented my Tesla 20+ times. No problems yet. I've rented my vacation Cabin out hundreds of times. Enough to pay for the cabin. A few minor incidents but nothing worth crying over. I've Ubered over 400 passengers so far. Not one incident. I think people get a little too caught up in worrying about the worst case scenario for things which at the end of the day are just possessions. If you really want to help Tesla reach it's goals......Share your Tesla!

The real question isn't weather most of us who already own a Tesla would add our Tesla to the fleet. The question is, given the choice of owning a Tesla (thanks to the sharing concept) or not owning one at all because they are too expensive is pretty obvious for most on the lower side of the income graph who can only dream of owning one now.