Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a 2014 Model S P85D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought our 2011 Toyota Prius Four with Solar Package from CarMax Irvine after seeing it online and putting in on hold online. We then paid CarMax to transfer it from Fresno to Irvine CA to see it in person. Car was immaculate, super low miles, great price, fully loaded. Bought it right away.

Why wouldn't you just use CarMax's online Free Hold instead of talking to some CarMax sales guy ???

Place Free Hold
Have this car reserved in one click
  • Hold for up to 7 days
  • No deposit or credit card needed
  • Easiest way to see the car
I originally saw the listing on Cargurus for this car and when trying to lookup on Carmax, it didn't show up, so i called on a whim and was surprised when the sales guy said he could put it on my name. If i could hold it, i would've done it online.

Last update: Another sales person i spoke with followed up and has spoken to my original sales guy's manager to report the lack of follow up. Also, found out that CarMax would provide their maxcare warranties for Telsa's and for the P85D that i mentioned, he said that a 5 yr maxcare plan for upto 150k miles with a $50 deductible would be around 3k and can be serviced directly at Tesla.

I think this is awesome that you can purchase Tesla's from CarMax and get warranty cheaper than Tesla.

Echoing what others are saying, I would definitely consider the P85D. I just took deliver of a Dec 2014 P85D CPO couple of weeks ago. It was in pristine condition. The service center did an unbelievable job in making sure that everything was perfect. I almost went with a brand new 75 back in December but decided to cancel the order to wait for the right CPO. The car handles great with the 21in wheels even though I wish it came with 19s as our roads are pothole ridden. After driving a few other loaners, including a brand new 100D for a few weeks while my car was being sorted before delivery, I would say that the NextGen seats in the P85D is so much more comfortable than the new seats.

Reactions: Litigate28
Echoing what others are saying, I would definitely consider the P85D. I just took deliver of a Dec 2014 P85D CPO couple of weeks ago. It was in pristine condition. The service center did an unbelievable job in making sure that everything was perfect.
My experience was just like yours. Couldn’t have been any better. That’s why it’s sad to hear of the demise of the program as we knew it. I guess we will have to wait for new posts from people who buy CPOs from here on out to see if the fears are real or whether they will still deliver a car in great condition, albeit not with “everything” fixed.

ps I’m sure you know that you (most likely) have a unicorn P85D+ right?

My experience was just like yours. Couldn’t have been any better. That’s why it’s sad to hear of the demise of the program as we knew it. I guess we will have to wait for new posts from people who buy CPOs from here on out to see if the fears are real or whether they will still deliver a car in great condition, albeit not with “everything” fixed.

ps I’m sure you know that you (most likely) have a unicorn P85D+ right?

Yes, I have the plus suspension. It doesn't say on the window sticker but I checked the part numbers on the front air suspension.

Reactions: Doanster1
TeslaInventory.com just emailed me this $67,500 CPO 2015 P85D which matched my P85D with Ludicrous search I've had running.

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H20FFP71263 | Tesla

Supposedly D
Ærik at TeslaInventory.com looks up the build code for Ludicrous in their search. The Tesla CPO listing doesn't indicate it actually has Ludicrous but if it does it's a great price IMHO. It also might be a "unicorn" P85D+ if it's got the rare Plus Suspension... but no reliable way to confirm Plus except physically verifying the Tesla part numbers on the front shocks.

I have an early '15 P85DL with the stiff suspension and vin 73k. Love it. Call me crazy, but I'm not sure I would trade it at even money for a new P100D. In my very personal opinion, the P85D's advantages are 1) the stiff suspension (where you should test drive and make your own judgment); 2) the old nose, which is sleeker and better looking, in my opinion; 3) AP1, which is in a better state than AP2 right now; 4) a leather interior, not leatherette; 5) the yacht floor, which I prefer over a console; 6) slightly higher current dual chargers; and 7) HID headlights, which I have heard are brighter than the current LED, although I have no personal experience here. Obviously the P100D is quicker, but the P85DL's 0 - 60 in 2.9s seems "adequate", and any maneuver that I could accomplish in a P100D but not a P85DL would probably kill me.

EV-CPO Hunter EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings also found this "unicorn" $67,500 CPO 2015 P85D with Ludicrous search I've had running:. P71263

TMC member HankLloydRight has worked tirelessly on EV-CPO Hunter... which was instrumental in finding our "unicorn" inventory 2015 P85D with the rare Plus Suspension and NextGen rear Recaro seats in the exact colors and with the exact options we wanted.

If you're trying to buy an inventory or CPO Tesla, you're crazy not to use EV-CPO Hunter EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings since you'll see Teslas "hidden" inventory and CPO cars FIRST. Priceless !!!

P.S. HankLloydRight has a rare "unicorn" P85D+ too. :D

Reactions: Litigate28
EV-CPO Hunter EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings also found this "unicorn" $67,500 CPO 2015 P85D with Ludicrous search I've had running:. P71263

TMC member HankLloydRight has worked tirelessly on EV-CPO Hunter... which was instrumental in finding our "unicorn" inventory 2015 P85D with the rare Plus Suspension and NextGen rear Recaro seats in the exact colors and with the exact options we wanted.

If you're trying to buy an inventory or CPO Tesla, you're crazy not to use EV-CPO Hunter EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings since you'll see Teslas "hidden" inventory and CPO cars FIRST. Priceless !!!

P.S. HankLloydRight has a rare "unicorn" P85D+ too. :D

Exactly how I found my unicorn P85D+ too, through Hank's website email and 45 minutes later I purchased it while driving (carefully) using Face ID on my iphone to pay with Apple Pay before anyone snatched it up.

The Ludicrous one you found Don is the only one that I've seen since buying my CPO last month that I would have actually considered otherwise. Oh well, you can always end up chasing. I'm very happy with my car.

Exactly how I found my unicorn P85D+ too, through Hank's website email and 45 minutes later I purchased it while driving (carefully) using Face ID on my iphone to pay with Apple Pay before anyone snatched it up.

The Ludicrous one you found Don is the only one that I've seen since buying my CPO last month that I would have actually considered otherwise. Oh well, you can always end up chasing. I'm very happy with my car.

Your P85D+ is my preferred SoCal color... although the above CPO P85DL is a great lower maintenance black substitute since it's "Grey Metallic Paint" shouldn't show SoCal dust, dirt or overnight "late night and early morning low clouds" evaporation when the sun comes out.

Ludicrous is a nice upgrade but we drove 28 months with "just" Insane before finally getting the Ludicrous upgrade. Either way our P85D+'s are SO much fun to drive, whether Insane or Ludicrous. :D