Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a 2018 Model S that was a rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I sold my Model S, Tesla wanted me to acknowledge if it was a private sale or to a 3rd party. I called and ask why the question on the email. They mention that 3party the warranty on the car was not transferable from any dealer. Now, this was over a year ago and things do change. Who was the rental company. Heck contact them and see if there are any Tesla deals. Why pay for the dealer markup. Throwing around "It's a rental" thing I find odd, especially it being a tesla.

I believe the terms of the extended warranty say that it cannot be transferred through a 3rd party dealer. A prorated refund will be issued instead.

The regular warranty should stand.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the rental aspect as it will have warranty. However I would be very worried if it was built before Mid March 2018 as it will have MCU1 and already be outdated. Also no autopilot normally on Enterprise cars so that's another added cost.

Yes, never get an MCU1 car. No Netflix so no longer useful for transportation. /s

But, on a serious note, MCU1 does have a wear issue that could cost you $1300-$2200. Do take that into consideration.

I would 100 percent believe anything a salesman said. Just kidding! If I had the option between a rental car and a regular retail owner car the chances are the regular owner car would be better. That said some owners may take excellent care while others beat their cars to death but a rental car gets many drivers with very little concern for the long term condition, reliability, or resale value of the car. The reason the dealer disclosed the rental history is likely because the Carfax history is branded with "rental". Rental cars have significantly lower resale values and if it isn’t 10 to 20 percent less walk away because you will always have a former rental car plus lower resale value.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Simple: Nope, wouldn't touch it. With any used car there's a risk depending upon the type of driver. With a rental, the risk goes up because of the number of people who have driven it, and to be fair, people don't take care of rentals like they do with their own cars. The wear and tear on rentals I've had seems to be higher than usual. I've driven some with as little as 10K on the odometer and it feels like it's been driven for 100K. I'd wonder what kind of detailing and maintenance they would do to make it appealing.

If this is your choice to proceed, a prolonged test drive is in order, without the stereo on. Listen for odd noises, turn on a/c, heating, and use ALL the controls. Checks window lifts, seat functions, windshield wipers, mirrors, and all switchgear. Check that the included charger works. Checks tires, fold down rear seats, look in every nook and cranny. In the end, it's up to you to invest some time to ensure that the car you want is worthy of your money.

Yes, never get an MCU1 car. No Netflix so no longer useful for transportation. /s

But, on a serious note, MCU1 does have a wear issue that could cost you $1300-$2200. Do take that into consideration.

MCU1 has a hard time calculating long navigation routes w charging stops. Also lags significantly when scrolling which leads to a very frustrating experience. The biggest issue is the emmc failure which results in a costly repair. Most recently the MCU2 cars got rear dashcam recording and ability to overwrite old files which MCU1 cars did not get.

no Netflix is a symptom of the problem. Netflix runs great on mcu1, but needs the updated browser that they added to mcu2 and not mcu1 so it isn't included. Tesla could have added the browser to mcu1 and all model S would have Netflix... But they didn't.

No more meaningful updates, even for things that can easily be updated, is why you should avoid mcu1. Tesla forgot about it and it will continue to get worse not better as has been the trend. They made mcu1 slower after mcu2 came out, it used to be faster. Mcu2 is still fast, get it until mcu2 comes out and they stop updating mcu2 and make mcu2 slow

Simple: Nope, wouldn't touch it. With any used car there's a risk depending upon the type of driver. With a rental, the risk goes up because of the number of people who have driven it, and to be fair, people don't take care of rentals like they do with their own cars. The wear and tear on rentals I've had seems to be higher than usual. I've driven some with as little as 10K on the odometer and it feels like it's been driven for 100K. I'd wonder what kind of detailing and maintenance they would do to make it appealing..

Most people attempt to avoid damaging rentals to avoid the damage fees that pile up. However, that doesn't stop them from driving it like they stole it. I personally take really good care of my rentals (I've even washed a couple) to avoid any fees and just because I know that eventually, someone is going to purchase that car and on top of all that I'm just a really good person. I just couldn't fathom purchasing an ex-ICE rental because that car would obviously been put into the fleet brand new and there's no telling how the engine was driven during the break-in period. However, with a Tesla, I would probably take that chance because there's nothing to break-in also think about maybe the car was only given out to people who were paying top dollar for it and they didn't abuse it. Some rentals aren't abused (notice I said some not all) but most are abused and destroyed....I can't tell you how many Nissan Altima rentals I've been in with less than 20k miles that look/drive and sound like they have 200k on the odometer. So OP test the waters a bit go do a thorough inspection of the car yourself and take that into consideration and go from there.

New to the forum! Been reading for about a week as I’ve been thinking about getting a Tesla (currently drive a Leaf). this is my first post!

I saw a 2018 Model S 75D with about 20K miles on it the other day at a dealership and test drove it. The salesperson said it had been a rental.

I have typically shied away from cars that had been rentals. The salesperson gave me a spiel about how rentals were the best cars to buy because they were so well maintained. Not sure I believe that.

Would you have concerns buying a Model S that had been a rental?

thank you!!

Hell no. Unless you like surprises.
I have a P85 D now as a loaner from Tesla while my X gets maintenance. It has 69,000 miles on it and it is trashed in so many ways.

I sold my 2014 X 90 at 63,000 miles and it was a pure gem.

Buyer Beware!