Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a CPO without Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all comes down to how you drive. I drive around 3,000 miles a year, mostly local. Autopilot would be nice, but I don't really need it for my minimal driving.
That being said, I got a fully loaded CPO P85+ to make those short drives a ton of fun. It was 1/2 price compared to the window sticker from when it was new.

AP. Is Very important for me, but I would buy a CPO wihout it. I do a couple of long trips a month, and AP would be nice, but just regular CC works in my current Hybrid, so I could live without it.
I'm running the numbers... At the moment Gas prices are low enough that I can't justify a MS yet. If gas jumps to $3 or higher that changes, however.

As an update, I ended up taking delivery of a 2016 P90DL today. I'm really glad I ended up with autopilot, as I found myself using it on the way back to the office from the SC as well as sitting in the crazy bumper to bumper traffic we have on surface roads. Not to mention it's a gorgeous vehicle that has more acceleration than I ever need. At the end of the day, I may not need Autopilot and Ludicrous, but it's nice to have for when it could come in handy (or be fun).

Just some advice, just like any car do your due diligence. We picked up a 2013 CPO P85 last weekend, were promised it would be perfect, and it has numerous issues like the panoramic roof seals broken, glass on the car is completely stained (looks like salt damage or acid damage), alignment was way off, and steering making creaking noises. On top of that the car was just dirty. Just because it's called CPO doesn't mean it's the same thorough process that you see from Mercedes, Lexus or BMW. We have regrets.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
Yes and I did as well. I drive a lot (25k miles/year) and my CPO serves me very well.

Do I want autopilot? Heck yes, for the $30k price difference for a similarly equipped AP car, no thanks.

Also what's your long term plan? I like to think total cost of ownership in terms of $ per mile. My car is already depreciated heavily and I plan to trade it on 2 model 3's in ~18 months or less.

Reactions: NedBevFan
I ordered a CPO this morning right after my test drive. I tried the AP, I'm sure I could get used to it but wasn't crazy about it. I have a 100 mile round trip commute so it would be beneficial but I'm positive I will be completely happy with the car I ended up with.

Reactions: JPUConn
I opted for CPO without AP in order to get the performance/range/price/options combo I wanted. I like AP and have tried it on test drives, but it got cut from my required list because I knew I would be happy without it. However, many other folks around here would rank AP higher on the priority list than I do.

Just an update, we had so many issues in the first few days with our CPO car that Tesla decided to take it back and help us find another car. They really do bend over backwards to help you and I applaud them for that. Faith restored ......for now. Again, please don't make the mistake I did. It's a used car, spend a lot of time checking it out in person before the delivery day.

Just an update, we had so many issues in the first few days with our CPO car that Tesla decided to take it back and help us find another car. They really do bend over backwards to help you and I applaud them for that. Faith restored ......for now. Again, please don't make the mistake I did. It's a used car, spend a lot of time checking it out in person before the delivery day.
I'm so happy they did that for you! I was disappointed when I read your other post. I hope you end up completely satisfied with this one.

I ordered a CPO this morning right after my test drive. I tried the AP, I'm sure I could get used to it but wasn't crazy about it. I have a 100 mile round trip commute so it would be beneficial but I'm positive I will be completely happy with the car I ended up with.

Depending on how much of that is highway commute, my guess is you would love it, so much you would never go back to a car without AP.

Stay in the middle lane, don't use it in construction areas.

Please report back after a month of using it.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I wouldn't buy a Tesla w/ out the TACC... the autosteer/summon other features of AP aren't as important, though will say having used Autosteer (aka autopilot) in bay area congestion... if you have long drives with congestion then it would make your life so much more relaxing as you can just make sure AP is doing its job and enjoy music, a pod cast, or conversation with someone else (verbally don't txt and drive even w/ AP).

I'm not sure if the non-AP enabled Tesla models include TACC, or if that is only a feature with AP enabled Tesla models.

Reactions: davidc18
I did.

I comes down to what is important to you at the price you want to spend. I could have purchased a new 60 or 70 with AP and Next Gen seats, or a 2.5 year old CPO P85+ without either. I'm loving the P85+! Sure, I'd love to have AP and Next Gen seats (had both on a loaner; they are both sweet), but I absolutely could not give up the awesome performance that the P85+ brings. In fact, since you can only get "P" with "D" now, it's the last great RWD Model S. I'm a big fan of RWD and the adrenaline kick it provides. I fear that if I ever upgrade to a P90D it just won't feel the same...

Heck no I wouldn't that's is basically the only appeal for this car. the electric to me is kind of a negative, its still a little hard to easily charge up so if you want to go on a trip. good luck lol. sure the instant torque is nice but unless you are actually racing, 0-60 in 2.8 vs 3.1 is negligible. do not get me wrong, I want 0-60 instantly but just saying. I wouldn't sacrifice autopilot for it just to save the money. Unless you are 100% happy with it, it will be a bad buy. even if you ONLY wish it had autopilot.