Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a CPO without Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did.

I comes down to what is important to you at the price you want to spend. I could have purchased a new 60 or 70 with AP and Next Gen seats, or a 2.5 year old CPO P85+ without either. I'm loving the P85+! Sure, I'd love to have AP and Next Gen seats (had both on a loaner; they are both sweet), but I absolutely could not give up the awesome performance that the P85+ brings. In fact, since you can only get "P" with "D" now, it's the last great RWD Model S. I'm a big fan of RWD and the adrenaline kick it provides. I fear that if I ever upgrade to a P90D it just won't feel the same...

See I am all for performance, what ever it takes, and what ever is the newest tech. All wheel drive is STRICTLY better than rear wheel drive in every single case I can think of. Tell me ONE time other than preference where RWD is superior and IF you can, I will tell you 2 more for each of those 1 times, that AWD is better.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Some background...I have an inventory P90DL that I'm scheduled to pick up in a few days. I'm coming from a BMW X5, which has been great, but I've wanted a Tesla for years, and I wanted another performance car (had an STI before the BMW). Since I've had time to think about it, I've started to get cold feet on it, in part because I use the third row seats in the BMW every once in a while, and in part because the practical side of me is having a bit of sticker shock on the price.

I'm looking at some of the CPO cars available, particularly those with rear facing seats. It seems like the cars with the options and color combinations I like are 2013s, which do not have Autopilot. I don't take many road trips and my commute is short enough (25-30 miles a day round trip) that I don't need to use highways. Would you buy a Model S without Autopilot? Do you think lack of Autopilot will make a CPO Model S depreciate faster?
If I would, I would've, but I didn't, so I guess I wouldn't have.

See I am all for performance, what ever it takes, and what ever is the newest tech. All wheel drive is STRICTLY better than rear wheel drive in every single case I can think of. Tell me ONE time other than preference where RWD is superior and IF you can, I will tell you 2 more for each of those 1 times, that AWD is better.

not trying to start a debate here but just wanted to point out that RWD are more fun to drive IMO. and also RWD has better turning radius.

My reply is similar to @rx7ven's. For me, RWD is more fun. I do understand that AWD likely beats it in every timed measure, but I'd rather have fun. I have not pushed an AWD Model S hard so I really don't know if it matches my experiences with other cars, but in general AWD doesn't give you that squat and kick out a corner that RWD does.

For when I want to put groceries, a stroller or whatever in the frunk, the RWD (pre-facelift) car beats the AWD car every time.