Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a gen1 wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can find one, then I think the gen1 is much better than gen2. I just installed a gen1 after buying a gen2. I did not want the internet connection part and also wanted to be able to do higher speeds if the car accepts it. I found the gen1, new in box on a facebook group. I paid 450.00 for it, ended up selling the gen2 for over 700 even though I only paid 500 for it.

But a Gen1 vs Gen3. Gen 3 is 500 bucks new from Tesla. What is fair price for a Gen 1 and what do you lose by going with Gen1?
oh wow.. I am so sorry.. I typed in a hurry. I have a gen2, but bought/sold the gen3. So sorry about the confusion. I was surprised when I sold the gen3 for 700+ when they go for 500 from Tesla. Wonder if there was a shortage? I would recommend the gen2 since that is what I used.

Gen 1 couldn't do any circuit sharing at all.
Gen 2 could do circuit sharing with a twisted pair wire between the master/slave units
Both of these can do up to 100A circuit, providing 80A supply.

Gen 3 currently can't do circuit sharing yet because idiotic Tesla hasn't programmed the firmware for that but prematurely released it anyway. When implemented, it will be able to do that stuff through its own wi-fi connection between units. Also, maximum is 60A circuit, providing 48A feed.

Major thing is circuit sharing, and the built-in connector holder (it was a separate cradle on Gen 1... not a big deal in most cases). Installation/mounting is slightly different too.

Be aware there are actually two revisions of Gen 1, one that supported a setting for 60A circuits (48A charging) and one that does not. If you are intending on using a 60A circuit, be aware of which one you get (and it will be very hard to determine this ahead of time!).

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Gen 3 currently can't do circuit sharing yet because idiotic Tesla hasn't programmed the firmware for that but prematurely released it anyway. When implemented, it will be able to do that stuff through its own wi-fi connection between units. Also, maximum is 60A circuit, providing 48A feed.
All of these points are why I chose Gen 2. It seemed like Gen 3 was a step backwards.

I had to buy a Gen 2 off the web since the Gen 3 cord is so much shorter. Since we’re talking about circuit sharing, I’m getting a new panel and meter put in and eventually will have 2 wall plugs. If the new panel has a 100 (or more) amp main breaker, do I even bother with circuit sharing? Would it be advisable to just put each on its own 60 amp breaker since the units top out at 48 amps anyhow? Do I ask for a bigger main breaker to begin with? Asking cause I don’t know! Thanks.

I had to buy a Gen 2 off the web since the Gen 3 cord is so much shorter. Since we’re talking about circuit sharing, I’m getting a new panel and meter put in and eventually will have 2 wall plugs. If the new panel has a 100 (or more) amp main breaker, do I even bother with circuit sharing? Would it be advisable to just put each on its own 60 amp breaker since the units top out at 48 amps anyhow? Do I ask for a bigger main breaker to begin with? Asking cause I don’t know! Thanks.

It is probably cheaper to have two wall connectors on a shared circuit than to add capacity to a panel/garage. Sure, it won't be as fast of charging, but a 100 amp breaker, 80 amp supplied, is more than enough for two M3s. Its a one-in-a-million scenario where this amount of power would be limiting (two cars getting back from a road trip and hoping to leave together for another road trip asap with no Supercharging options in the area).

It is probably cheaper to have two wall connectors on a shared circuit than to add capacity to a panel/garage. Sure, it won't be as fast of charging, but a 100 amp breaker, 80 amp supplied, is more than enough for two M3s. Its a one-in-a-million scenario where this amount of power would be limiting (two cars getting back from a road trip and hoping to leave together for another road trip asap with no Supercharging options in the area).
Cost isn’t a real factor here since the utility offers a lower rate contingent on adding a new meter to the house. The current panel is already filled so no matter what I’ll need to add a new panel. You’re right, we’re talking about the difference between 11.5kw per car or 19.5 for both. All things being equal I’m leaning towards just putting them on separate breakers. Thanks for the feedback.

Just got a Gen 1 - works fine for me at the existing shared outlet's limitation of 16 amps. Capable of 40amps on the right connection to the board. It takes about 3.5 hrs to gain 20% to my M3P so lass than half what it took at 10amps standard power point plugin.