Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a "higher end" Model 3?

Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 137 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 42.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now all model 3s are essentially built the same. The SR only has one motor, and the Performance has tighter suspension and bigger brakes, but otherwise all the cars are essentially the same with various features turned on/off via software.

But lets say they made a more luxurious one. Little nicer seats, better noise isolation, nicer carpet, nicer wood on the dash, perhaps some extra features like a heated steering wheel and a hud. Would you pay more for such a car?

My maxed out BMW 340i xdrive cost about $5k more than my Model 3 Performance. The Model 3 drives better in every way. It's faster, it corners better, and I love never having to go to the gas station and the OTA updates. But I miss some of the luxury. The quiet cabin, the heated steering wheel, the heads up display, Sirius/XM radio, better bolstered seats, etc... I'd be willing to pay $5-$10k more to get the luxury of the BMW combined with the driving dynamics of the Model 3 Performance.

Some might say.... just get an S P100D. I considered it. But then I drove one. It drives like a boat. It's faster in a strait line, but the suspension felt soft and the car just felt big and heavy. Like a BMW 5 series, or maybe even a 7 series. I didn’t like it. I like the smaller sportier size and handling of the 3, I just miss some of the luxury that I had with my BMW and I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a 3 that had more of that same luxury.

My answer is yes, however differs from your premise to some extent. I'd like to be able to upgrade/restore the SR+ to include the better standard of audio with the extra speakers and subwoofer, and turn on the software locked footwell lights (they turn on when the car unlocks so I know they're there).

That kind of stuff is actually possible, right now, as we just saw with the speed upgrade to the LR+. They could easily charge you a few thousand bucks to turn on the speakers and the rear seat heaters as those are just disabled by software.

I'm taking about a different build. Something with extra sound isolation, a better steering wheel, better seats, a HUD, etc... Things that would need to be physically changed during manufacturing.

Right now, hardware wise, 99% of a $39k Model 3 SR+ and a $59k Performance are the same. They put most of the same hardware in the SR+ and then just disable it with software. Because of that the build quality of the $59k Performance feels like a $39k car. Those of you that have never owned luxury cars may not understand what I'm talking about, but the fit and finish of a $65k BMW 3 Series is very different than a Toyota Camry. But with the Model 3 the low end version and the high end version are essentially the same car just with some drive train differences and some artificially disabled interior features.

I'm saying I'm willing to pay more for a Model 3 that's actually built better. My biggest complaint about the car is the road/wind noise. My BMW was quite. So quiet in fact that they artificially pumped the noise from the engine into the cabin because otherwise you wouldn’t hear it and people like that sound. My Tesla is noisy and when I have people in them back seat I find it hard to hold a conversation with them. The bolsters on the seats are also too soft for a car that can corner this hard. Then there are little things like cheap feeling carpet, the lack of "oh sh*t" handles, the lack of hooks in the trunk for a cargo net, the lack of a physical button to open the frunk. (useless to me if I have to take out my phone and use the app just to pop it)

Like I said the driving dynamics of the car are top notch, but the build quality and fit and finish, don’t live up to the $60k price tag.

Don’t get me wrong I still love the car, I'm just saying I'd personally be willing to pay a bit more for some of that extra luxury I'd gotten use to from the BMWs I've owned over the last 10+ years.

The drive train is great. Better than anything else out there. Now focus on the car part.

I don’t think your BMW is as quiet as you think.

I have a top of the line custom F80 M3. If you turn off the music and listen it’s loud. Most of the wind/road noise gets drowned out by the “engine”. In the Tesla, there’s no ICE sound, so the wind noise seems louder.

To answer your original question, I wouldn’t pay more for a luxury model 3. I actually think the seats are too soft and would prefer the more fitting seats in my BMW M3 to keep me in place during spirited driving. Obviously coming from an M3 I lean more towards the performance end of the spectrum. I would pay more for those type of improvements.

I came from a Lexus LS460 which had very high end materials. I do notice the more spartan interior of the Model 3. If there were an interior upgrade package for around $3K that included higher end materials for the seats, wood, steering wheel, etc I would probably pay for it. A heated steering wheel would be nice too. As would a second display like the S/X has. And maybe an air suspension. But now I’m starting to turn the car into an S...

Right now, hardware wise, 99% of a $39k Model 3 SR+ and a $59k Performance are the same. They put most of the same hardware in the SR+ and then just disable it with software. Because of that the build quality of the $59k Performance feels like a $39k car. Those of you that have never owned luxury cars may not understand what I'm talking about, but the fit and finish of a $65k BMW 3 Series is very different than a Toyota Camry. But with the Model 3 the low end version and the high end version are essentially the same car just with some drive train differences and some artificially disabled interior features.

A $65K BMW 3-Series has the same interior as the base $40K BMW 3-Series, just like the base Tesla Model 3 has the same interior as my Model 3 Performance.

This isn't just conjecture, here are my last 4 BMWs:
  • 2012 E92 M3 ($75K) - I had the "full" leather option, which was more leather on the transmission tunnel + nicer leather. But still the same interior quality as the base E92.
  • 2013 ActiveHybrid 3 ($65K) - This had the most leather/upgrades you could get, but was still the same as the base F30.
  • 2016 F80 M3 ($80) - I had the "full" leather option which was leather on the dash, etc., but still the same interior quality as the base F30, aside from leather vs. Senstac.
  • 2018 X3 M40i ($65K) - I have all the options, which includes a Sensatac dashboard, but still the same quality as the base X01.
My point being, if you compare cars within the same "series", from any manufacturer, you're going to get the same basic quality from the base model all the way up to the performance trim. Same with Tesla, so they're not doing anything different from BMW here.

The biggest issue with Tesla is their logistics system coupled with insane demand doesn't allow for increased customization. They simply don't have the infrastructure available to provide the customization we'd want in a higher end vehicle.

When it was only S/X it was far easier to manage but the 3's have completely changed the game for them.

I agree. Especially after watching the 3 part factory tour series. Here’s the 2nd part about Tesla’s seat manufacturing:

Right now, hardware wise, 99% of a $39k Model 3 SR+ and a $59k Performance are the same
The reason for that is to simplify production and drive down cost so that the car costs less for the customer and Tesla can make a profit which can be re-invested into expanding production and developing new models (Y, truck, Roadster, Semi, etc.).

By the standards of the automotive manufacturing business, Tesla is still a baby taking its first steps. It hasn’t even gotten to grammar school yet. The Model 3 is the world’s first truly mass production long range pure EV (the Bolt is built in such small numbers I don’t call it a mass production vehicle, and the Leaf still isn’t a long range vehicle).

Just like the S and X, which have evolved tremendously since they were introduced (many improvements are not visible but they are real) the 3 will improve dramatically over time. It’s already clear that the 3’s being built today are significantly improved compared to the first ones off the line in 2017.

Give it time. Much of what you want to see in the 3 will be incorporated over the next few years. Except a HUD. Elon has been pretty clear about that, since much of the time Teslas drive themselves and that will increase over time. I don’t need any car information in my direct sight line. That’s one of the many things I like about my Model 3. Looking ahead, all I see is the road and the scenery. My speed alert setting audibly informs me if I am over the current speed limit. Everything I need to see I can easily see on the center display.

Last edited:
I would have no problem adding $10k in options if they were available. Stuff like foldable middle rear seat, dynamic suspension, 360-camera, 4-zone climate control, acoustic glass, black headliner preferably in alcantara, HUD/small screen in front of driver and so on.

Basically i'd like to have the option to pay for the same stuff I could at Audi or BMW for their premium car segment.

Tesla is barely profitable and already having difficulty meeting current demand. IMO adding multiple cost/variables/complexity to the manufacturing logistics will almost guarantee losses, with the potential to bankrupt the company. Too much too soon.

All of the additional luxury items sound good, but that’s more for a mature company that is trying to squeeze every bit of profit out of an existing base. Tesla is still expanding and needs to keep to a core business model. If all the extra bells/whistles are that important to someone, there are plenty of other companies out there.

Not saying that Tesla shouldn’t do premium luxury options in the future, but it should not be a priority at all for a long time (years).

[...]
But lets say they made a more luxurious one. Little nicer seats, better noise isolation, nicer carpet, nicer wood on the dash, perhaps some extra features like a heated steering wheel and a hud. Would you pay more for such a car?[...]

i don’t think I would.
I would *like* it to have a quieter ride, but I would not want to suffer less range from add’l weight.
I do miss the heated steaming wheel. Carpet’s... fine, it’s just carpet. The wood, meh. I’ve seen worse.

I might be inclined to upgrade if they released one with a far greater capacity battery that yielded far more range.

Reactions: UTMB and fiatlux
The biggest issue with Tesla is their logistics system coupled with insane demand doesn't allow for increased customization. They simply don't have the infrastructure available to provide the customization we'd want in a higher end vehicle.

When it was only S/X it was far easier to manage but the 3's have completely changed the game for them.

S/X had over a thousand permutations at one point:

60/60D/75/75D/90/90D/90P/90PL/100D/100P
External Color (Solid White, Obsidian Black Metallic, Titanium, Silver on top of current options)
Premium Upgrade Package Yes/No
5-7 interior trim options
Full Tow Package - Yes/No (For X)
Partial Tow Package - Yes/No (For X)
72 Amp Charging Yes/No
Premium Sound Package Yes/No
7 Seat Model S Option
5/6/7 seats (X)

Some models had ventilated seats. Some X Models had adaptive spoilers.

Probly fuzzy on a few details but it was nuts.

Today:

Model X:
Long Range/Performance
Color
5 Interior Trim choices (they could bring this down to 2-3 right now IMO)
5/6/7 Seats

Last edited: