Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a "higher end" Model 3?

Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 137 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 42.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first stepped out of my 2017 Porsche Macan GTS and sat in a model 3 I was appalled. There simply is no comparison between their interior quality, fit, and finish. Not the same universe.

Nevertheless, when a Mazda ran a stoplight a few weeks later and killed my Porsche, I decided to try out the Model 3 again and bought a performance version with all the options. I really enjoy it, zero issues, and would be hard pressed to go back. But I would pony up a bit more for a more premium experience. Tesla really is leaving some cash on the table.

Properly adjustable seats (including thigh support)?
Air conditioned seats?
heated steering wheel?
Heated wiper jets (honestly pathetic that these aren’t already there)?
*dramatically* quieter cabin?

give me those things and I’ll go upgrade. As it is now I was planning on getting a Model Y in another year or so but without those features I don’t know if I will.

But lets say they made a more luxurious one. Little nicer seats, better noise isolation, nicer carpet, nicer wood on the dash, perhaps some extra features like a heated steering wheel and a hud. Would you pay more for such a car?

I voted No, but have suggested on other threads that some of those niceties should have been included in PUP already, which some of us paid $5k for.

When I first stepped out of my 2017 Porsche Macan GTS and sat in a model 3 I was appalled. There simply is no comparison between their interior quality, fit, and finish. Not the same universe.

Nevertheless, when a Mazda ran a stoplight a few weeks later and killed my Porsche, I decided to try out the Model 3 again and bought a performance version with all the options. I really enjoy it, zero issues, and would be hard pressed to go back. But I would pony up a bit more for a more premium experience. Tesla really is leaving some cash on the table.
As the owner of a 2017 Porsche Macan GTS, I concur.

Higher quality materials. Heated steering wheel. Air suspension. Apple CarPlay.

Rattle reduction.

I'd pay more for a higher quality interior and added features.

I think another thing that a lot of you are forgetting that keep piling on the amenities is that this is an EV. Can you all guess what’s going to take a huge hit when you’re powering up your heated steering wheels, vented air conditioned seats, subwoofers, heated wiper jets, HUD, etc.? Let’s not forget about the extra weight from sound deadening and wiring. How would all of this change the driving dynamics?

It’s a lot easier to make wish list than to address the issues that would come.

I think another thing that a lot of you are forgetting that keep piling on the amenities is that this is an EV. Can you all guess what’s going to take a huge hit when you’re powering up your heated steering wheels, vented air conditioned seats, subwoofers, heated wiper jets, HUD, etc.? Let’s not forget about the extra weight from sound deadening and wiring. How would all of this change the driving dynamics?

I'll happily take the VERY minor hit in range and performance. I'd rather be comfortable and charge for an extra two minutes every few hours than uncomfortable and get somewhere a few minutes faster.

My Model 3 is the perfect commute car except I would take one with 100 kWh battery! Right now if I charge to 90%, I have to charge everyday or I won't make it to work and back. If I have the 100 kWh battery, I think I could charge it every other day LOL. So far in the 15 months, I only managed to forget plugging it in at home 2 times... so had to stop by Supercharger twice. One $2.xx, the other $3.xx.

Reactions: Atari2600
The Model 3 was originally designed to have an air suspension and this is something I wish were available from day one. Hopefully the Model Y will get it.

The air suspension electronic header was shown in one of the Model 3 front controller tear downs.

Ohio roads are full of cracks and rough driving surfaces in general so an air suspension would provide a more luxury road feel for long trips. I would also lower it when driving on known good highways during the day. At night I would probably raise it all the way. I have ran over stuff in the road at 70 MPH in ICE cars that I didn't see due to darkness and traffic. I have no desire to end up in a non warranty destroyed battery pack situation - this is my only worry with the car.

I also second the 100 kWh battery above since the heating is 100% resistance and no heat pump. Driving with your heat off so you can make a 250 mile round trip without needing to charge is the opposite of luxury. I would sacrifice the entire frunk for a good heat pump. Heat pump with resistance heat(for fast heating, back up or supplemental) is what I have lived with for the past 30 years. It easily works to 10F with modern systems.

Last edited:

Heated steering wheel is tiny heating element. 100W at most? HUD orders of magnitude less.

I don't think air suspension is the way to go, but electronically controlled dampers are. The 3 Performance is a bit soft, and could use wider envelope to appease to more.people.

I would also like post 2013 garage door opener technology. As it stands now the car has no clue if the door is already open or closed and does not know if it is in the process of opening or closing. This technology came out in 2013 and my garage door has it. I would have more faith in the system raising/lowering the door and parking my car if it knew what was going on with the door.

Here is a 2013 YouTube video on the technology

If I can drive home, get out and walk in the front door and have the car open the door, pull in and close it that would be nice. I do not trust it as is.

I get the point about demand. Currently they can barely keep up with the demand as it is and adding more options just complicates that more. But eventually that should level off. Although with the Y being built in the same factory maybe not.

I just love how the car drives so much, but compared to my BMW the car itself feels a little cheaply made for a $60k car. I'm not saying that's enough for me to ditch it and go back to BMW, but I wish they made a higher trim version of the 3 that drove like the 3 Performance but had the fit and finish of the BMW.

I get the point about demand. Currently they can barely keep up with the demand as it is and adding more options just complicates that more. But eventually that should level off. Although with the Y being built in the same factory maybe not.

I just love how the car drives so much, but compared to my BMW the car itself feels a little cheaply made for a $60k car. I'm not saying that's enough for me to ditch it and go back to BMW, but I wish they made a higher trim version of the 3 that drove like the 3 Performance but had the fit and finish of the BMW.

Trade offs are a part of life, and human nature is to always want more. If the model 3 already had BMW finish (which is last compared to Audi and MB, btw) and Tesla performance, you’d then want it to have a Porsche level interior. If it had that you want it all for $30k cheaper, etc.

The “what if/I wish” game is one I don’t enjoy playing, because it’s impossible to win. My philosophy is to take something as it is and if it evolves great! If not, find something that fits my needs the best at the time of purchase.

Trying to build the “perfect” Frankenstein car (Audi interior, Tesla drivetrain, Porsche driving dynamics, etc.) is a unicorn that has been chased forever and will never be caught. A car can’t be made that is everything to everybody.

Great topic for forum discussions/entertainment. But pointless for real life. All manufacturers know their target demographic and for the most part stick to catering to them.

I'll readily take a minor hit in range for more insulation/sound deadening. (I bought the LR for a reason!) Heck, it might not even need more insulation; perhaps a different tire manufacturer/summer tires should be an option. But more importantly, other cars in its price class are quieter and quieter trims are offered for Premium interiors.

Don't forget that thousands upon thousands of customers purposely took a range hit by purchasing the 19" sport wheels.

Last edited: