Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a "higher end" Model 3?

Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 137 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 42.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with a lot of those seats is they don't fit larger people so much. I'm 6'1" and my X seats are hugging my shoulders from behind. That pushes them forward and rounds my back, both of which are wrong/bad posture. While this does help to hug you in those 1 g turns, I don't need that very often actually. What I do need is a seat that doesn't give me scoliosis.

I don’t mean the pure sport seats. I mean something properly supportive while being luxurious and comfortable. I’m giving serious consideration to buying a spare seat to tear apart and see if I can fix it because the lack of under-thigh support is slowly driving me mad.

Maybe there is something I’m missing?

Yes, there is a lot of exclusive content on Sirius XM that isn’t available elsewhere. Most big fans of Sirius XM are listening to Howard Stern or some of that type content vs just music. My favorite program I listen to on XM is exclusive to them, so it is the only place to get that content.

It is more akin to Netflix vs Amazon Prime. Sure, both services play older movies, but if you want to watch the Witcher, you have to have Netflix.

I don’t mean the pure sport seats. I mean something properly supportive while being luxurious and comfortable. I’m giving serious consideration to buying a spare seat to tear apart and see if I can fix it because the lack of under-thigh support is slowly driving me mad.

its not as cool as having extendable squabs, but i find tilting the seat base up does just fine for supporting the thighs.

the real test will be a longgggg drive coming up

its not as cool as having extendable squabs, but i find tilting the seat base up does just fine for supporting the thighs.

the real test will be a longgggg drive coming up

Unfortunately, the base doesn't tilt enough for that trick, unless I sit REALLY far back and then the wheel is too far away to be comfortable. I'm probably going to buy longer bolts for the rails and put washers under the front to induce more tilt.

I DID pay extra for a nicer equipped Model 3, or at least that is what I thought I was doing in 2017 when I bought the premium interior option. Back then the non-premium was going to not have the center console, the seats would be cloth, and the roof solid.

Yup and the base seats weren't supposed to be memory / powered. The $5K PUP still leaves a sour taste. Everyone keeps talking about the crazy Tesla demand, but I think that's because prices had to be dropped to continue the demand. The $5k PUP was basically thrown in for free for all the new cars.

That kind of stuff is actually possible, right now, as we just saw with the speed upgrade to the LR+. They could easily charge you a few thousand bucks to turn on the speakers and the rear seat heaters as those are just disabled by software.

I'm taking about a different build. Something with extra sound isolation, a better steering wheel, better seats, a HUD, etc... Things that would need to be physically changed during manufacturing.

Right now, hardware wise, 99% of a $39k Model 3 SR+ and a $59k Performance are the same. They put most of the same hardware in the SR+ and then just disable it with software. Because of that the build quality of the $59k Performance feels like a $39k car. Those of you that have never owned luxury cars may not understand what I'm talking about, but the fit and finish of a $65k BMW 3 Series is very different than a Toyota Camry. But with the Model 3 the low end version and the high end version are essentially the same car just with some drive train differences and some artificially disabled interior features.

I'm saying I'm willing to pay more for a Model 3 that's actually built better. My biggest complaint about the car is the road/wind noise. My BMW was quite. So quiet in fact that they artificially pumped the noise from the engine into the cabin because otherwise you wouldn’t hear it and people like that sound. My Tesla is noisy and when I have people in them back seat I find it hard to hold a conversation with them. The bolsters on the seats are also too soft for a car that can corner this hard. Then there are little things like cheap feeling carpet, the lack of "oh sh*t" handles, the lack of hooks in the trunk for a cargo net, the lack of a physical button to open the frunk. (useless to me if I have to take out my phone and use the app just to pop it)

Like I said the driving dynamics of the car are top notch, but the build quality and fit and finish, don’t live up to the $60k price tag.

Don’t get me wrong I still love the car, I'm just saying I'd personally be willing to pay a bit more for some of that extra luxury I'd gotten use to from the BMWs I've owned over the last 10+ years.

The drive train is great. Better than anything else out there. Now focus on the car part.
Get an Apple Watch, then raise ur wrist up and say “open the frunk”, works for me.

Reactions: JBT66
Right now all model 3s are essentially built the same. The SR only has one motor,
But lets say they made a more luxurious one. Little nicer seats, better noise isolation, nicer carpet, nicer wood on the dash, perhaps some extra features like a heated steering wheel and a hud. Would you pay more for such a car?

You say you want that, but then say you want these...

But I miss some of the luxury. The quiet cabin, the heated steering wheel, the heads up display, Sirius/XM radio, better bolstered seats, etc... I'd be willing to pay $5-$10k more to get the luxury of the BMW combined with the driving dynamics of the Model 3 Performance.

First thing's first. Don't conflate "luxury" with other types of features. Are you interested in being able to tell your friends you have a luxurious car, or do you want a heads up display so that you can see your speed easier? I can't help but feel it's more towards the first one.

Be careful with this. Some of us enjoy the slick, clean interior and don't want it to become bloated like other car's consoles. However, I would like a heads up display for the reasons I just mentioned. Secondly, I doubt Tesla could get away with selling high margin, highly marketed "luxury" items due to the car's current price anyways. It's been a breath of fresh air to strip everything down and rethink what is needed in a car.

I would like Tesla to scale and drive current prices down below 30K so we can see M3s everywhere, everyone wins especially the Earth.

It won't be the model 3 below $30,000. It would have to be the EV equivalent of a Toyota Corolla. Give it ten years or so and EVs will be cheaper. Right now Tesla can't even make money selling them for $35,000. They only make money on the upgraded models. That's why the $35,000 version isn't even on the web site. I believe you have to call and ask for one directly.

The Model 3 already has some of the most comfy seats I've ever say in, and that's what I probably care about the most, so no.

BMW seats (even a 20 year old model) are significantly more comfortable than the Model 3 seats. The Tesla seats are very narrow and not quite long enough. You also sit too high compared to where the pedals are.

First thing's first. Don't conflate "luxury" with other types of features. Are you interested in being able to tell your friends you have a luxurious car, or do you want a heads up display so that you can see your speed easier? I can't help but feel it's more towards the first one.

Never heard somebody brag at the bar, "I've got satellite radio...."

Reactions: Drizzle
BMW seats (even a 20 year old model) are significantly more comfortable than the Model 3 seats. The Tesla seats are very narrow and not quite long enough. You also sit too high compared to where the pedals are.

Nope. Tesla seats are the best car seats I've ever sat in

And if you haven't gotten use to having the speed in the center screen, sell your Model 3

No tacky heads up displays necessary. That's not a luxury, that's called tacky and useless

Speed in the center screen is the best re-invention

Im a bit confused here, do USA Teslas not have internet radio and/or spotify? What's the use of satellite radio?
Subscription, digital satellite radio like XM and Sirius has exclusive content like Howard Stern, licensed broadcast for most sports events, etc.

I was never a fan. But moreover the point was that wanting a quiet cabin, HUD, etc are not for superficial bragging rights. (Conversely, acceleration times and street races are way more of a social currency....)

Nope. Tesla seats are the best car seats I've ever sat in

And if you haven't gotten use to having the speed in the center screen, sell your Model 3

No tacky heads up displays necessary. That's not a luxury, that's called tacky and useless

Speed in the center screen is the best re-invention

you are probably quite short. Anything above 180 and you'll struggle.

It won't be the model 3 below $30,000. It would have to be the EV equivalent of a Toyota Corolla. Give it ten years or so and EVs will be cheaper. Right now Tesla can't even make money selling them for $35,000. They only make money on the upgraded models. That's why the $35,000 version isn't even on the web site. I believe you have to call and ask for one directly.

yes and hopefully we get there someday!