TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you buy a "higher end" Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dan203, Jan 1, 2020.

?

Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?

1. Yes

135 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I don’t mean the pure sport seats. I mean something properly supportive while being luxurious and comfortable. I’m giving serious consideration to buying a spare seat to tear apart and see if I can fix it because the lack of under-thigh support is slowly driving me mad.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Yes, there is a lot of exclusive content on Sirius XM that isn’t available elsewhere. Most big fans of Sirius XM are listening to Howard Stern or some of that type content vs just music. My favorite program I listen to on XM is exclusive to them, so it is the only place to get that content.

It is more akin to Netflix vs Amazon Prime. Sure, both services play older movies, but if you want to watch the Witcher, you have to have Netflix.

• Like x 2
  3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan Member

If it was good value as a package then yes, failing that, individualised upgrades would be very welcome.

4. holmgang

holmgang Member

its not as cool as having extendable squabs, but i find tilting the seat base up does just fine for supporting the thighs.

the real test will be a longgggg drive coming up

5. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Unfortunately, the base doesn't tilt enough for that trick, unless I sit REALLY far back and then the wheel is too far away to be comfortable. I'm probably going to buy longer bolts for the rails and put washers under the front to induce more tilt.

6. turtlesz

turtlesz Member

Yup and the base seats weren't supposed to be memory / powered. The $5K PUP still leaves a sour taste. Everyone keeps talking about the crazy Tesla demand, but I think that's because prices had to be dropped to continue the demand. The $5k PUP was basically thrown in for free for all the new cars.

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Quieter yes, 100kWh battery yes, more power yes, fancy interior, no.

• Like x 2
  8. kinito

kinito Member

I would like Tesla to scale and drive current prices down below 30K so we can see M3s everywhere, everyone wins especially the Earth.

• Like x 1
  9. Huskyfan

Huskyfan Member

Get an Apple Watch, then raise ur wrist up and say “open the frunk”, works for me.

• Like x 1
  10. Drizzle

Drizzle Member

You say you want that, but then say you want these...

First thing's first. Don't conflate "luxury" with other types of features. Are you interested in being able to tell your friends you have a luxurious car, or do you want a heads up display so that you can see your speed easier? I can't help but feel it's more towards the first one.

Be careful with this. Some of us enjoy the slick, clean interior and don't want it to become bloated like other car's consoles. However, I would like a heads up display for the reasons I just mentioned. Secondly, I doubt Tesla could get away with selling high margin, highly marketed "luxury" items due to the car's current price anyways. It's been a breath of fresh air to strip everything down and rethink what is needed in a car.

11. SouthSeas

SouthSeas Member

It won't be the model 3 below $30,000. It would have to be the EV equivalent of a Toyota Corolla. Give it ten years or so and EVs will be cheaper. Right now Tesla can't even make money selling them for $35,000. They only make money on the upgraded models. That's why the $35,000 version isn't even on the web site. I believe you have to call and ask for one directly.

• Like x 3
  12. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

BMW seats (even a 20 year old model) are significantly more comfortable than the Model 3 seats. The Tesla seats are very narrow and not quite long enough. You also sit too high compared to where the pedals are.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  13. holmgang

holmgang Member

Never heard somebody brag at the bar, "I've got satellite radio...."

• Like x 1
  14. Candleflame

Im a bit confused here, do USA Teslas not have internet radio and/or spotify? What's the use of satellite radio?

• Like x 1
  15. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Nope. Tesla seats are the best car seats I've ever sat in

And if you haven't gotten use to having the speed in the center screen, sell your Model 3

No tacky heads up displays necessary. That's not a luxury, that's called tacky and useless

Speed in the center screen is the best re-invention

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 3
  16. holmgang

holmgang Member

Subscription, digital satellite radio like XM and Sirius has exclusive content like Howard Stern, licensed broadcast for most sports events, etc.

I was never a fan. But moreover the point was that wanting a quiet cabin, HUD, etc are not for superficial bragging rights. (Conversely, acceleration times and street races are way more of a social currency....)

17. Candleflame

you are probably quite short. Anything above 180 and you'll struggle.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. Vapormat

Vapormat Member

19. kinito

kinito Member

yes and hopefully we get there someday!

20. holmgang

holmgang Member

And they relocated the speedo away from the center dash in the current mini lineup, so maybe there's something to this line-of-sight thing after all.....

• Like x 3