Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a "higher end" Model 3?

Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 137 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 42.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But this proves that we all have very different needs. Personally:

1.) Couldn't care about a heated steering wheel. If it's cold out I'm always pre-heating the car, anyway, so the wheel is nice and warm when I get in.

2.) Air conditioned seats: Yes. I'd take this in a heartbeat.

3.) Heated wiper jets? Can't say I've ever given this a moment's thought, even when I was living in Minnesota.

4.) Dramatically-quieter cabin? I think this is sort-of like the wipers issue for some people. For me, the wipers haven't given me any trouble, and neither has cabin noise. I'm sure there's a variance between build dates, of course, but my cabin is plenty quiet at 70mph compared to other cars I've been in.
1) But the point is that both the S and X offer it, at least make it optional on the 3.

S/X had over a thousand permutations at one point:

60/60D/75/75D/90/90D/90P/90PL/100D/100P
External Color (Solid White, Obsidian Black Metallic, Titanium, Silver on top of current options)
Premium Upgrade Package Yes/No
5-7 interior trim options
Full Tow Package - Yes/No (For X)
Partial Tow Package - Yes/No (For X)
72 Amp Charging Yes/No
Premium Sound Package Yes/No
7 Seat Model S Option
5/6/7 seats (X)

Some models had ventilated seats. Some X Models had adaptive spoilers.

Probly fuzzy on a few details but it was nuts.

That's only nuts in context to Japanese or Korean cars.

American is worse, and German cars are unbelievably more complex in terms of orders. Porsche leading the way for sure.

FALSE.
Go drive an M3/M3/M5, and you will see the difference.

5'er seats are some of the worst in the lineup, since they are designed for middle-aged, over-weight, performance averse audience (similar to X-cars). I had a 5'er as a loaner, and its seats were worse than base-model 3-series seats.!

5er can be had with multicontour seats, which are much better than the base seats.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I would like:
400 Mile Range
Air suspension
Power Trunk
17 inch LCD screen
USB-C
300+ kWh charging top speeds
By the time you get there you might as well get a refreshed S (whenever that comes)

Most of those items though (save for battery and charging) are things you can add, I’m actually fairly surprised someone hasn’t fabbed up a larger display for the Model 3. Id pay to upgrade to a widescreen 20”+ display.

Last edited:
By the time you get there you might as well get a refreshed S (whenever that comes)

Most of those items though (save for battery and charging) are things you can add, I’m actually fairly surprised someone hasn’t fabbed up a larger display for the Model 3. Id pay to upgrade to a widescreen 20”+ display.
I think the problem with that is you'd be now dealing with refresh rates, resolution and spacing if/when Tesla updates the onscreen menu or moves stuff around.

I voted no. I’m happy with the level of luxury in my Model 3. When we ordered our Mini Cooper S almost everything was an option & I thought it was too complex. Most of us buy cars based on affordability but this car seems to cross economic boundaries. People buy this car for several reasons but electric is the primary reason. Some really stretch their budgets to buy a Tesla. This thread also illustrates how differently individuals view their priorities from Tesla’s vision about the future of car ownership. As owners we think about how to make the car fit our needs. Tesla sees the car as a robotaxi which is more generic. Some items such as an HUD will be unnecessary. Also, how complicated & thus more expensive do they want their assembly process?

I voted no. I’m happy with the level of luxury in my Model 3. When we ordered our Mini Cooper S almost everything was an option & I thought it was too complex. Most of us buy cars based on affordability but this car seems to cross economic boundaries. People buy this car for several reasons but electric is the primary reason. Some really stretch their budgets to buy a Tesla. This thread also illustrates how differently individuals view their priorities from Tesla’s vision about the future of car ownership. As owners we think about how to make the car fit our needs. Tesla sees the car as a robotaxi which is more generic. Some items such as an HUD will be unnecessary. Also, how complicated & thus more expensive do they want their assembly process?
I understand your point, but I disagree with your premise that Tesla’s vision of the future doesn't mesh with buyers’ desire for more premium amenities in the Model 3. One has only to look at the Model S and X to see Tesla does offer more premium features than found in the Model 3. Now, if Tesla chooses to reserve those features to the S and X to encourage buyers to move up to those models, then I understand that as well. But it’s a leap in my opinion to suggest Tesla minimizes premium features in the Model 3 as part of the company’s vision of the future rather than a marketing strategy.

Last edited:
but my cabin is plenty quiet at 70mph compared to other cars I've been in.

I think this might be the key here. People who don’t notice the wind/road noise are likely those who have never owned a luxury car with a quiet cabin.

BMW cabins are so well insulated that they actually pump engine noise in via speakers so you can hear the engine. (People seem to like that sound) My top of the line 340i had barely any wind/road noise. People who rode in it often commented on how quiet it was. I get the opposite comments about the Model 3. (i.e. complaints about how hard it is to have a conversation with someone in the back seat at highway speeds) I recent rode in my Sister’s Scion when she drove me to the airport and it was similar to the Model 3. Which is why I said it feels like this is a $35k car and all the extra money spent on the Performance is just in the drivetrain.

Reactions: afadeev and tvad
I think this might be the key here. People who don’t notice the wind/road noise are likely those who have never owned a luxury car with a quiet cabin.

BMW cabins are so well insulated that they actually pump engine noise in via speakers so you can hear the engine. (People seem to like that sound) My top of the line 340i had barely any wind/road noise. People who rode in it often commented on how quiet it was. I get the opposite comments about the Model 3. (i.e. complaints about how hard it is to have a conversation with someone in the back seat at highway speeds) I recent rode in my Sister’s Scion when she drove me to the airport and it was similar to the Model 3. Which is why I said it feels like this is a $35k car and all the extra money spent on the Performance is just in the drivetrain.

Same was said for my last car that was ~$42k - my Golf R. It certainly made a more solid thunk when the doors are closed! In terms of ride noise they’re quite similar I’d say. Either way the wind noise when there’s a headwind is the only noticeable noise to me beyond the norm, and that’s true in any car.

Makes you wonder if some Model 3s are just worse than others, like with the wipers, backup camera not working etc etc.

“I understand your point, but I disagree with your premise that Tesla’s vision of the future doesn't mesh with buyers’ desire for more premium amenities in the Model 3. One has only to look at the Model S and X to see Tesla does offer more premium features than found in the Model 3. Now, if Tesla chooses to reserve those features to the S and X to encourage buyers to move up to those models, then I understand that as well. But it’s a leap in my opinion to suggest Tesla minimizes premium features in the Model 3 as part of the company’s vision of the future rather than a marketing strategy.”
I agree with much of what you said. My observation though is that there appears to be a mix of some buyers new to the higher end market and some who have bought previously. This seems to have resulted in conflicting expectations with Teslas vision. Models S & X appeal to a different more affluent group of buyers. These are owners that may be less likely to want to go the robotaxi direction.

Right now all model 3s are essentially built the same. The SR only has one motor, and the Performance has tighter suspension and bigger brakes, but otherwise all the cars are essentially the same with various features turned on/off via software.

But lets say they made a more luxurious one. Little nicer seats, better noise isolation, nicer carpet, nicer wood on the dash, perhaps some extra features like a heated steering wheel and a hud. Would you pay more for such a car?

My maxed out BMW 340i xdrive cost about $5k more than my Model 3 Performance. The Model 3 drives better in every way. It's faster, it corners better, and I love never having to go to the gas station and the OTA updates. But I miss some of the luxury. The quiet cabin, the heated steering wheel, the heads up display, Sirius/XM radio, better bolstered seats, etc... I'd be willing to pay $5-$10k more to get the luxury of the BMW combined with the driving dynamics of the Model 3 Performance.

Some might say.... just get an S P100D. I considered it. But then I drove one. It drives like a boat. It's faster in a strait line, but the suspension felt soft and the car just felt big and heavy. Like a BMW 5 series, or maybe even a 7 series. I didn’t like it. I like the smaller sportier size and handling of the 3, I just miss some of the luxury that I had with my BMW and I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a 3 that had more of that same luxury.

Unbelievable they don't have the heated steering wheel option or a hud... I voted no the model 3 will always be their entry level vehicle. I change my vote though after reading the above comment. Should definitely be an option for the performance version or at least equipped with the sub zero package.

Yep. I installed frunk hooks and put a mat in the frunk of my 2020. The good news is that my 20 is quieter than my 19 - so maybe they transferred the cost to sound reduction.

Sorry if you've said this somewhere, but what do you expect caused the 20 to be quieter. I heard the door seals were a harder material, and the trunk shelf is a solid piece of metal. I have a 03/19, and have the hole in the trunk shelf with the filler material.

I want a heated steering wheel, air suspension and power lift trunk.

For those of us who bought the PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) as early reservation holders, this thread stings a bit though. Most specifically for me, I was disappointed not to get the dark Alcantara fabric in my car, and instead we got the textile stuff everyone has because they decided that Premium was a subjective term and can be thrown at anything.

I'd be wary about any "Premium" option you get unless it is well described and can be previewed before you have no choice but to accept it on your delivery date because you would have no car otherwise.

I love my car, but this is the last time I get any early version of anything. /rant

• Love
Reactions: tvad