Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a "higher end" Model 3?

Would you pay for a more luxurious Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 137 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 42.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The nice thing is that with motivation, wherewithal, and money. We can make our car whatever we want it to be.

Yeah, but there are several problems with that.

1. That's work. Some (most) people don't want to mod, or do anything than buy a car and write the check every month (or once). Not everyone is interested in sourcing parts, reviewing different mods, paying to install them, keeping the old parts, etc.

2. Modding out of class is a real thing. If you drop too much money into a car aftermarket, you'll quickly reach a point where you should have just purchased a more expensive car instead.

3. Warranty. Many people don't want to mod for fear of voiding their warranty.

So the sentiment about wanting more available features is completely understood IMO.

Reactions: kbecks13
My Model 3 is the perfect commute car except I would take one with 100 kWh battery! Right now if I charge to 90%, I have to charge everyday or I won't make it to work and back. If I have the 100 kWh battery, I think I could charge it every other day LOL. So far in the 15 months, I only managed to forget plugging it in at home 2 times... so had to stop by Supercharger twice. One $2.xx, the other $3.xx.
Just asking, what is your daily commute mileage that you have to charge every night?

I'd include a list of Performance specs
Sport seat,
Sports Steering Wheel
Tropical Tint
Lowered setting suspension ( as in the Model S)
Alcantara headliner
Carbon Fibre elements like the early first generation Roadster
Blind spot indicators
Performance - Sport more interior options, auto frunk / trunk

Reactions: kbecks13
Right now all model 3s are essentially built the same. The SR only has one motor, and the Performance has tighter suspension and bigger brakes, but otherwise all the cars are essentially the same with various features turned on/off via software.

But lets say they made a more luxurious one. Little nicer seats, better noise isolation, nicer carpet, nicer wood on the dash, perhaps some extra features like a heated steering wheel and a hud. Would you pay more for such a car?

My maxed out BMW 340i xdrive cost about $5k more than my Model 3 Performance. The Model 3 drives better in every way. It's faster, it corners better, and I love never having to go to the gas station and the OTA updates. But I miss some of the luxury. The quiet cabin, the heated steering wheel, the heads up display, Sirius/XM radio, better bolstered seats, etc... I'd be willing to pay $5-$10k more to get the luxury of the BMW combined with the driving dynamics of the Model 3 Performance.

Some might say.... just get an S P100D. I considered it. But then I drove one. It drives like a boat. It's faster in a strait line, but the suspension felt soft and the car just felt big and heavy. Like a BMW 5 series, or maybe even a 7 series. I didn’t like it. I like the smaller sportier size and handling of the 3, I just miss some of the luxury that I had with my BMW and I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a 3 that had more of that same luxury.

The interior trim level and amenities stopped me from buying a Model S/X.
And it nearly stopped me from buying the M3P.

I would have ordered a Platinum Model 3 if it was available. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but it is a large step down from what it's replacing, and so is a Model S/X. I am willing to pay a premium price for a premium driver's experience. The M3/S/X is actually a step down from my new pickup when it comes to luxury. I get the minimalist thing some folk love, but the IKEA design doesn't blow wind up my skirt. My first car was a 1963 VW Beetle (1300cc, license SZY 422), so I really do know minimal. But now that I'm older, I like nicer things. And I will never replace another engine in my driveway.

Reactions: tvad
I'd include a list of Performance Model only specs

Sport seat options incl CF
Sports Steering Wheel incl CF, leather
More % Tropical Tinted Anti Glare strip
Sports suspension settings
Alcantara headliner
Staggered wheel offset
Carbon Fibre elements like the early first-generation Roadster
Blindspot indicators
Full Napa Leather Leather (non-vegan)
Performance - Sport more interior options, auto frunk/trunk
Trailer towing hitch
Sports Cross members
Slide back electric roof vent
Sunblinds
Sports floormats
Anti Dazzle and CF outside mirrors and rearview mirror
Wood Trim
Ski Bag
Center console wrap options
The intensive headlight washer system
Winter anti door lock freeze package
Performance sport aerodynamic package
Door handles with Performance Sport designation
Performance headliner
Performance only spoked wheels
Performance Badge identifier

Electromotive propulsion and convenience is highly addictive. However, cars are out now that have both EV powertrains and luxury features. Soon, it will not be an either/or but a just a trim level decision.

Unfortunately those cars don’t yet match the performance or range of Tesla. The Audi eTron has a really nice interior and lots of the features we're discussing, but for $80k you get 200 miles of range and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Boooo!

I want a car that drives like the Model 3 performance, but has the luxury of a BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc.... The current one costs $60k but has the build quality of a $30k car. It's more like an STI than an M3.

• Love
Reactions: Yang_H and tvad
Unfortunately those cars don’t yet match the performance or range of Tesla. The Audi eTron has a really nice interior and lots of the features we're discussing, but for $80k you get 200 miles of range and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Boooo!

I want a car that drives like the Model 3 performance, but has the luxury of a BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc.... The current one costs $60k but has the build quality of a $30k car. It's more like an STI than an M3.

I wouldn't call Audi's first effort anything but a kludge. It's an overweight ICE chassis with batteries thrown at it. But for most SUV buyers, the acceleration is good, since EV's punch out of their league in real traffic situations. I believe the most serious problem with the Audi, was a blind person did the exterior styling. I do believe in giving opportunity to those with physical hardships, but dang.

I wouldn't call Audi's first effort anything but a kludge. It's an overweight ICE chassis with batteries thrown at it. But for most SUV buyers, the acceleration is good, since EV's punch out of their league in real traffic situations. I believe the most serious problem with the Audi, was a blind person did the exterior styling. I do believe in giving opportunity to those with physical hardships, but dang.

It is quite ugly. But essentially looks exactly like all the other cars in their Q lineup. Which to me all look like station wagons, not SUVs.

I agree. Especially after watching the 3 part factory tour series. Here’s the 2nd part about Tesla’s seat manufacturing:

Wow thanks for sharing that video. I knew Tesla took the seats inhouse but I've never seen anything on how they manufacture them so found it fascinating. I'm going to catch up on the other two videos but wanted to express thanks more than an emoji or thumbs up.

Reactions: Sherlo