Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a long wheelbase Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inspired by a tweet about this.

Same width but 1 ft longer - 208 inches.

With most of the extra space expanding third row into practical daily space + super big rear trunk space (big enough for 3-4 strollers, sports gear and way more stuff)

Can one of the photoshop rendering wizards pull off an image of how it would look if properly proportioned?

I imagine
1) to minimize complexity on something Tesla just mastered, no reengineering of falcon wing doors, just way more space in the 3rd row seats behind them.

2) Redesigned backs for the front seats to have less bulge into passenger area in second row, and accessory access hooks like powered USB and tablet ledges/lips for all 2nd and 3rd row passengers

3) Access points for aftermarket accessories like folding tables, sun shades, curtains, regular plug points (just build a standard hole in which a regular plug socket from whichever country you want can be inserted and then you can plug in whatever you want), side hooks, etc - let the ecosystem go wild.

4) Less felt-like material and more rugged interior at the very back.

This long wheelbase X could become a very popular form of transportation for families and teams/ of 6-8 people. Current version of X is still too tight for that without feeling forced.

Who knows, perhaps with move to 2170 and a lighter aggregate battery pack weight for the same power, this may become feasible.

Please do, please do!
To me, this sounds far more mainstream, quicker to revenue, and viable without step function engineering investment than the Y. We'll have another recession in 2-3 years. The buyer category for this would be broader in that environment amid a glut of other SUVs and the practical factor would be huge with certain crucial segments.

Thoughts?

Thoughts are this is a nice idea but I personally am very skeptical. What you are asking for is utility and value. That is not compatible with falcon wing doors.

What you want demands, IMHO true practicality - sliding doors so a roof rack can go on top.

Otherwise you're left with cool but impractical doors and an even bigger price tag on what is already an eye-wateringly expensive SUV without the "U."

Chevy or Chrysler will clean Tesla's clock with a hybrid Suburban or minivan that has a good autopilot in a couple years. At that point I think Tesla will build something practical to compete.

Reactions: Yodeller