Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a Model S today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. No driver camera for FSD. I want a camera in front of the driver with infrared like Cadillac has. I want this instead of the nag.
  2. No sound absorbing glass. My current car has this to help reduce outside noise.
  3. Cheap GM-quality interior that now also looks old.
  4. No heat pump
  5. No rear cross traffic alert
  6. Poor blind spot monitoring alert
  7. Poor auto wipers (this one has low importance)
  8. Tesla discontinued the 19" sonic carbon wheels I wanted
  9. Vertical screen, which means eyes farther away from the road when looking down. I want a high landscape screen.
  10. The Ravens have a shudder/axle wear problem that's different than the problem the pre-Ravens had for which there is now a fix. Fortunately this seems to be much more of a problem for X's than S's, and I haven't read people complain about this recently, but I never read they fixed this.

For me, and FWIW:
1. Not a priority
2. Nice but not enough to make me buy
3, 4, 7, 8 -- Disagree or not priorities.
5, 6 -- Definite issues but no better on Model 3 or other Teslas -- 5,6 (Why is Tesla so foolishly stubborn about these?)
9 -- I like the Model S screen and believe I would prefer it, but honestly have little seat time in Model 3 or Y
10 -- Hmmm, concerning...

I have 2 new Performance S’s and a Performance 3. The Performance 3 is an awesome car but with the new Model S pricing I would choose a new base S over an AWD 3. The base 3 fits a different niche and isn’t really an S competitor due to its cheaper base 3 pricing. A base S is still an expensive car but is close to half of the $116k I paid back in 2016 for my old refresh Model S 90D, plus the new S is like a totally different car with features the older S’s can’t match and is a screaming deal on a new flagship Tesla.

Interesting...What would you say to someone who is deciding between a Model 3P or a LR Model S?? I know they are completely different cars but I cant help but compare the two given the price reduction on the Model S....Given that you own both I am curious as to what your opinion is.

it is funny every one has their preferences, for me, I like the vertical bigger screen and IC screen in MS , I've driven the 3 and they do ride differently ( another preference). If I needed the rear seating as much Id really would be investigating a Y ( that one has intrigued me about going back to a compact SUV) or an X . the 3s have actually held up depreciation wise much better than the S's have ( I have a 2017 90D). if you sold the 3 and then bought a new S AT the new price point , even if you spring for FSD) that I think is the best deal . Me, I'm keeping my '17 S I just got all the upgrades MCU2, and HDW 3 (got FSD at $2k on top of the $5K eap) so there is no difference from a new one except the dynamic suspension, and the Battery ( I hear the new seats are more comfortable) . I am gonna hold out for an S Refresh and the 8640 battery ( Come on 500 miles!)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Interesting...What would you say to someone who is deciding between a Model 3P or a LR Model S?? I know they are completely different cars but I cant help but compare the two given the price reduction on the Model S....Given that you own both I am curious as to what your opinion is.
I currently have Performance S’s and a Performance 3 but I did have a regular S 90D in the past. I think I would choose the LR S over the Performance 3 given that the LR S is just about as quick as the P3 and I like most people don’t drive on a track so since the straight line performance is very comparable I’d take the nicer more upscale S over the 3. I think the aggressive new S pricing makes it a tough decision to buy the P3.

Wait and buy a Lucid Air :rolleyes:

So many choices, no right or wrong answers...just a higher or lower payment! I constantly flip between the models (I don't own one). I test drive and borrow them. Really think the MX is the ugliest, but best tech and toy. MS is best range and looking. M3 just got updated and has the best price. MY is best family SUV overall for the price. You honestly can't go wrong! Heck, wait for the CT.

Wait and buy a Lucid Air :rolleyes:

So many choices, no right or wrong answers...just a higher or lower payment! I constantly flip between the models (I don't own one). I test drive and borrow them. Really think the MX is the ugliest, but best tech and toy. MS is best range and looking. M3 just got updated and has the best price. MY is best family SUV overall for the price. You honestly can't go wrong! Heck, wait for the CT.

That's true, there's something for everyone. The "best" depends on your priorities.

Still going back and forth on this - buy and S or keep the 3. Tesla offered a pretty low trade value ($33.5K), but I'm not sure I want to sell it privately given everything involved. I'm pretty familiar with the S and definitely notice improvements since 2018 when I was considering it instead of the 3. Spoke with service department and they don't report any significant issues (despite reading some horror stories on the forum). I'd expect depreciation to still be higher on than the 3 or Y on a percentage basis as well as absolute dollars. The benefits of the smoother ride (air suspension) and greater range (400+ miles) seem attractive, and I wonder about having Tesla make a significant interior upgrade in 2021. Still trying to justify the upgrade as a good value, but struggle with the unknowns of resale and new EVs coming out. I'm also on the CT wait list, but I'd expect that to be nearly 2 years out. At my age that could be significant. Decisions, decisions....

I find visibility poor in general in the S. Still love mine though. If I liked the 3 as much as the OP seems to, I would probably wait 18 months to switch.

Yep, you better crane your neck taking those left turns, the A pillar could hide a pedestrian on a bike. I almost whacked a neighbor taking an early morning walk:( At the same that pillar could save your life one day.