Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a Model S today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

I posted a similar thread a few months ago, asking if I should trade my 2018 LR M3 RWD to get a new Model S AWD today. My car has about 26K miles, and has served me well. When I bought the Model 3 in late 2018 the Model 3 had less range than today, did not have the upgraded suspension that it now has, and the new version 3 computer is an added bonus. The model S also has a smoother ride (air suspension) coupled with greater range than the Model 3. What's changed is the $5K drop in price for the Model S - a significant drop and one that has me considering upgrading.

I expect that my Model 3 has depreciated by $12-15K since I bought it, and I'd expect that the Model S will depreciate even more in the coming 2-3 years as an interior updates and battery pack upgrades are expected. Despite that likelihood a 400 mile range Model S with the improvements noted seems like a good overall package.

The question is simple - make the trade or not?

Greetings!

I posted a similar thread a few months ago, asking if I should trade my 2018 LR M3 RWD to get a new Model S AWD today. My car has about 26K miles, and has served me well. When I bought the Model 3 in late 2018 the Model 3 had less range than today, did not have the upgraded suspension that it now has, and the new version 3 computer is an added bonus. The model S also has a smoother ride (air suspension) coupled with greater range than the Model 3. What's changed is the $5K drop in price for the Model S - a significant drop and one that has me considering upgrading.

I expect that my Model 3 has depreciated by $12-15K since I bought it, and I'd expect that the Model S will depreciate even more in the coming 2-3 years as an interior updates and battery pack upgrades are expected. Despite that likelihood a 400 mile range Model S with the improvements noted seems like a good overall package.

looks to me you've answered your own question.......trade it and buy the new S

Greetings!

It depends on your objectives. Only you can decide for you.

1. Buy an S now and keep it. If you trade now you'll get the latest S with all current features at a historically excellent price. The current S is the best electric car you can buy today, but it also has a significant list of shortcomings in my view.

2. If you wait until 2022 you can probably buy a next generation S at a price that's currently unknown but might be higher. (I anticipate that when they introduce the Plaid they'll also replace the LR S rather than make two different vehicles, but some on TMC don't agree with that.)

3. You could trade now and again in a couple of years. This is the most costly option.

4. Just keep the 3.

#4 is cheapest but leaves you with a less desirable car. #3 is tempting but is the costliest option. #2 is more fiscally prudent than #3 and you get a likely great car but later. #1 leaves the buyer with the current generation S but is less expensive than #2 and #3.

Last edited:
It’s like comparing an Audi A4 and an A7. I think the MS is a tremendous value. I dont care if it’s technically a 2012 design. They nailed it... especially with the 2016 update. The M3 drives amazingly and very different... but it’s a different car than the MS.

controversial opinion: the MS screams Tesla and high-end. The M3–on the other hand—screams Tesla but more budget. So comparing the two is a no brainer... the MS is the way to go... if you can afford it.

Yes, as soon as batterygate is resolved. Maybe not this year - 1 more year (2 if elons calendar is off again) and the major S update should be out. Even if you don't get plaid it needs major revising to the current S that should carry over to LR.

Thanks for the replies. Fred - what shortcomings do you find in the Model S?
  1. No driver camera for FSD. I want a camera in front of the driver with infrared like Cadillac has. I want this instead of the nag.
  2. No sound absorbing glass. My current car has this to help reduce outside noise.
  3. Cheap GM-quality interior that now also looks old.
  4. No heat pump
  5. No rear cross traffic alert
  6. Poor blind spot monitoring alert
  7. Poor auto wipers (this one has low importance)
  8. Tesla discontinued the 19" sonic carbon wheels I wanted
  9. Vertical screen, which means eyes farther away from the road when looking down. I want a high landscape screen.
  10. The Ravens have a shudder/axle wear problem that's different than the problem the pre-Ravens had for which there is now a fix. Fortunately this seems to be much more of a problem for X's than S's, and I haven't read people complain about this recently, but I never read they fixed this.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: VaztheDad
Would I buy a Model S today? If it lacks the Pano Roof, no.

Should you trade your Model 3 for a Model S? Maybe, if it makes you happy. (and that's after taking financial matters out of the way; e.g,. if you have a loan for your Model 3, then stop wasting money. It's just a car)

Having never owned the 3, all I can say is if you have the wherewithal, I don't think you'll be disappointed. However, if it were me, I'd wait for the implementation of the 4680 battery. That said, if we are to believe what we are being told, the model S Plaid will have that battery near the end of 2021. That's when I plan to buy the Plaid version. The ludicrous performance version supposedly will not utilize the 4680 battery until 2022, so if that's the version you want, I'd suggest you wait for it. Perhaps we'll get lucky and the model S Plaid, as well as the LR and ludicrous model will have a horizontal screen by then? Fingers crossed.

I have 2 new Performance S’s and a Performance 3. The Performance 3 is an awesome car but with the new Model S pricing I would choose a new base S over an AWD 3. The base 3 fits a different niche and isn’t really an S competitor due to its cheaper base 3 pricing. A base S is still an expensive car but is close to half of the $116k I paid back in 2016 for my old refresh Model S 90D, plus the new S is like a totally different car with features the older S’s can’t match and is a screaming deal on a new flagship Tesla.

the LR and ludicrous model will have a horizontal screen by then? Fingers crossed.
I have bought 3’s S’s and X’s and I think the only advantage of the horizontal screen is watching Netflix while Supercharging. To me the integrated vertical screen looks nicer but if they had an integrated horizontal screen it would get my thumbs up for killing time watching movies

1. No driver camera for FSD. I want a camera in front of the driver with infrared like Cadillac has. I want this instead of the nag. - You're postulating a technology that has not even been enabled, nor has the team ever expressed the notion that camera would be used in such a way.
  2. No sound absorbing glass. My current car has this to help reduce outside noise. - The S doesn't need it. The sound absorption throughout the cabin was inherently more silent than the 3 from the factory.
  3. Cheap GM-quality interior that now also looks old. - Opinion. I thought the 3 interior look lackluster the few times I've needed a loaner.
  4. Poor auto wipers (this one has low importance) - Disagree. Last year of builds the auto wipers have been solid, as much so as any previous car I've owned.
  5. Vertical screen, which means eyes farther away from the road when looking down. I want a high landscape screen. - I don't want to turn by head to see CRITICAL driving data. Speed, cruise control settings, etc.
Opinions are like a*******. :D

I have a 2012 P85 which is running great—but the low price of the Model S is very tempting. I’d sure like autopilot, a new warranty, new seats and back in the HOV lane. I’d be giving up my large frunk—which I really like and free Super Charging. Even my wife is in favor of getting the new S but shares my same concerns...

Greetings!

You should get a trade in value quote from Tesla to see. I just did mine on a 2019 LR RWD with 20000 miles and FSD and was quoted 39500. Pretty decent trade in value so I would be losing about 11k overall over 19 months by upgrading to the S.