Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a New Model S Today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I've revisited the Tesla location near me and I'm still undecided about what to do. I didn't get a trade in value for my 2018 FWD M3, but Carvana indicated somewhere near $35.5K (upgraded 19" wheels, 25K miles, some curb rash on wheels, typical paint issues) and I'm also due for a new set of tires (likely $1000-1500 installed).

The S rides more like a luxury car compared to my M3, but the seating position is different - I sit lower in the MS, and my line of sight is a bit restricted compared to the M3 (I'm 5'7", wife is 5"1) which concerns me a bit. We are on the wait list for the CyberTruck, but that's likely 2 years out until it's available. I'm still inclined to wait for the battery day updates, and I'm frankly not sure if as a senior the CyberTruck is something that will work for us.

My question has to do with depreciation. If I do decide to get the MS and later decide to get the CyberTruck, the car will be 2 years old or so. I'd imagine that by that time Tesla will have either a new battery pack or redesign, or maybe both. Given how Tesla continues to drive down new car prices, along with technological change, I'm concerned that the resale value of the S may be relatively low. Your thoughts are welcome, not only about resale value, but whether it makes sense to keep the M3 until things become clearer.

My neighbor has asked about my Tesla and driven it quite a few times. He just bought a Bolt and got a great price of just about $25K out the door for a nicely equipped model. It's not a Tesla, and I don't consider it a true competitor, but with all the new EVs coming out in the coming few years it may be that all EV resale values are challenged.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

i'm not a big fan of leasing, but if you're switching cars every few years leasing makes more sense.

Wait for battery day in Sept. Could be significant enough to make existing cars depreciate yet again...sigh.

Owning a Tesla is like owning a smart phone except worst. New version and features come out every quarter or 2...not once a year lol.
And I believe my iPhone holds its value way better ha.

However owning a T comes with the awesome ownership experience :)

if you purchase an S, at least look at raven models from 2019 and newer for adaptive suspension, higher range, better hardware.