Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a New Model S Today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through same thing. I also had a 2018 P3D- and 100% agree with the OP’s observation. It wasn’t until a drove a loaner Model S that I realized the huge difference. And what I loathed to have. To help justify / afford the swap I needed to trade my fairly new Jeep Summit (that I loved). The Jeep had towing duties. So it had to be a Model X instead of a preferred Model S. No regrets. Did the swap last fall. I suspect a Model X Plaid will be further out and it will replace the P100. So I convinced myself plaid won’t devalue a LR X to soon or to much. Model S at this time has a bit more concern. But COVID might delay plaid. Who knows. When ever you do it. It will be a HUGE upgrade. I absolutely love the X.

We bought our Raven S in August 2019. I would absolutely buy an S today. If only I had waited 9 months, today's S is $5000 cheaper with over 100 miles more range (ours is the 285-mile Standard Range). That said, my 268-mile real range hasn't been an issue and, despite FUSC, I've only used it 6-7 times so far -- way way less than I thought would happen.

I agree a 3/Y is a better value but I'm happier in the S, especially with the Raven suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred42
No, the company has screwed me and too many others to consider it at this time. With how much they "control" about the car and considering how "absent" they are when things go wrong (remember, there is a honeymoon period where they'll answer your calls... until they don't :) ) I really can't feel good about buying a new Tesla. ESPECIALLY considering how they now change the rules of the game so often its hard to keep up. Lucky my very old 2013 was pretty black and white: unlimited SC, unlimited connectivity, etc;

Greetings -

I currently own a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with 23K miles, 19" wheels and AutoPilot (not FSD). Since I took delivery in November 2018 prices for all Teslas have dropped, and that has me wondering about upgrading my Model 3. I'm happy with the car, but find that road/tire noise is inherent to the car, regardless of running 18/19/20 inch wheels/tires. The car offers what some consider a "sporty" ride, but others consider "less refined". Around town on short rides neither complaint is significant, but taking a longer ride makes these shortcomings more annoying, especially as I age. I'm a senior citizen, and I get cranky pretty easily these days.

The recent price cut for the Model S brings the price down to $75K for the "base" car, a drop of nearly $20K from the 2018 Model S 100D. The price difference from my Model 3 to the Model S back then was over $40K back then - it's less than $30K today, and the 2020 Model S has been improved somewhat over the last two years. The narrowed price gap has me interested enough to consider a potential swap.

I don't drive very much, especially given COVID-19, but I expect that will change. Much of my driving is local - less than 50 miles a trip - but I plan to do longer rides - 150-250 per trip - on highways more frequently in the future. No one can know what Tesla plans, so worrying about updates seems more of a mental exercise as well as an excuse to procrastinate, but I'd like to know from Model S owners how you feel about your car.

Have any of you owned both the Model S and Model 3, and if so, do you find the Model S provides a more sedate/quiet platform compared to the Model 3? Does the difference in price seem worthwhile to you, and if so what in particular do you feel are the benefits that the Model S offers that the Model 3 doesn't have (the suspension comes to mind)? Any downsides? Would you buy the Model S again today, or are there things that bother you to the point where you'd like to see Tesla make a change, and if so, what would you change? Would you buy another S today, or do you think that the updates aren't significant enough to swap to a newer S now, and you'd rather wait for a major refresh - either design or battery pack?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but making the jump to the S is a big step as a retiree, and I want to make sure I understand the pros and cons from actual owners, not salespeople or anonymous website reviews.

Thanks in advance for your comments and insights.
No, I would never buy another Tesla ever again. Tesla artificially removed battery capacity and limited performance and charging speeds on 85 kWh battery packs. Tesla reached into our cars via software update and removed thousands of dollars in resale value and features for which we paid. Elon Musk apparently feels bait-and-switch is okay even well into your ownership period.

The new warranty language requires you to accept all software updates and excludes degradation to battery, range, and charging speeds even if caused intentionally by Tesla's own software. That's all you need to know about the Tesla experience. Should be enough to scare everyone away.

My advice: Look at i-Pace, e-Tron, and others. They also still get the $7,500 tax credit. Going with Tesla just for the supercharger network is silly if you don't really need it, and once you let go of that you'll find other EVs to be a much better option in terms of build quality, initial quality, and ownership experience. There are so many CCS chargers popping up everywhere that the supercharger network won't be much of an advantage soon. Supercharger network is already at a disadvantage vs. CCS in Europe.

#batterygate #chargegate

I would take the above comment with a grind of salt.

Tesla ecosystem is no different than Apple in concept. You buy not only the car but the network of chargers and software. That said, having both a 2016 S and a 2020 3... I would agree that Y is a better value. But if money isn't a problem, S and X are fantastic.

Driving a 2014 p85+ now, and I would buy a new S without a doubt. Much smoother then the 3, aldo the performance is a real blast to drive. Never had real troubles with the car or problems with service myself.

REPAIRS ON THE MODEL S ARE PAINFUL, PERHAPS BECAUSE THEY BUILT LESS OF THEM? SO IF YOU GET THE S MAYBE DON'T KEEP IT PAST THE 4 YEAR WARRANTY.

OR DO OWNERS OF THE 2018-2020 FEEL DIFFERENTLY?

THE S REALLY DOES RIDE NICELY IN ANY ROAD CONDITION WITH THE AIR SUSPENSION.

I DON'T BELIEVE THE FSD WILL BE WHAT ELON SUGGESTED ANY TIME SOON.

I’m very happy with my 2018 S 100D and would recommend a new S - technology improving all the time.

It is much more comfortable than any other car I’ve owned and Tesla in Vancouver have been extremely responsive and helpful in the last 2 and a 1/2 years.

I hope to use the car for many years for road trips , camping and adventure. I am looking forward to FSD software improvements and using my unlimited SC !

Reactions: SO16
I have a 2014 S with 215K miles on it. A close friend has a 3 I've driven a lot. I prefer my S. Better ride, 2 screens, quieter. (Although there are things I like on the 3.)
I would love to get a new one! The upcoming new design will cost more but whatever inventory is available when it comes out will be discounted so ...

As to the malcontents, hey, Tesla is not what it used to be, and it never will be again. That's the nature of things. But I still think it's the best car company out there. (Okay, some times I do feel like choking someone, and they often do stupid things, but what company doesn't?)

This one is tough for me because I don’t see myself ever buying ICE again, so until two days ago It was any easy yes but when I saw my first Taycan on the road it made me think that if Porsche bumps their mileage up to be more competitive with Tesla, I’d consider the Taycan.

My Model S is the most enjoyable car I’ve ever owned but I do miss my Lexus reliability and treated like a human by Lexus customer service. My guess is that the Taycan might fill those voids.

As an owner of a “paid for” 2013 P85+, I just can’t bring myself to get a new S. Dropping that kind of coin for a car that is at least 80% the same car day in and day out (based on the various newer loaners I’ve had) as the one I’m driving now is just a step too far.

Another option might be to pick up a used Model S. I mean you ARE driving a used Tesla now...maybe pick up a 2018 Model S. In day-to-day driving the primary item you are giving up would be the Raven adaptive suspension.

Reactions: croman and aerodyne