Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a New Model S Today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 year old design that was 10 years ahead of everything else. It's more than current and looks better than any other sedan on the planet. It's not even close.

But there are dozens of reasons I wouldn't buy another S currently. It's not because I don't love the car...it's just that I can't stand the company any more.

Yeah I wish people who are clamoring for a complete redesign of the Model S EXTERIOR would just stop. It is arguably one of the 3-5 best looking cars ever made. Especially for a large sedan.

The design and look is timeless, modern, and elegant.

Are these same people clamoring for Porsche to completely redesign the exterior of the Porsche 911? No because they got that design right too.

The Model S needs it's sunroof back and some interior improvements and updates. They should stick mostly to the interior of the car and leave the perfect exterior alone. Incidentally this seems to be what they are on the verge of doing.

I feel like buying a Tesla is an annoying process. If you don’t jump on it right away they sell so fast. Can’t believe how these cars seem to sell like hot cakes, but then I read the Wall Street reports and they still are not selling enough.

I like just ordering a BMW and knowing I am getting a good price and lease. Any time I see a Tesla even a couple thousand off it seems like it sells in seconds. Amazing that people can buy a $80k to $100k car without even thinking about. I guess I am just not that way. :)

Yeah I wish people who are clamoring for a complete redesign of the Model S EXTERIOR would just stop. It is arguably one of the 3-5 best looking cars ever made. Especially for a large sedan.

Are these same people clamoring for Porsche to completely redesign the exterior of the Porsche 911? No because they got that design right too.

The Model S needs it's sunroof back and some interior improvements and updates. They should stick mostly to the interior of the car and leave the perfect exterior alone. Incidentally this seems to be what they are on the verge of doing.

I agree the exterior of the Model S is fantastic - an eye catcher. It is one of my favorite designs. I saw a silver one on the road today and it looked great! Very timeless design, which is why I want one.

Reactions: PhilDavid
I agree the exterior of the Model S is fantastic - an eye catcher. It is one of my favorite designs. I saw a silver one on the road today and it looked great! Very timeless design, which is why I want one.

Yeah I feel silver is the best color for the Model S followed by Pearl White. What a shame they discontinued silver :(

Franz created an iconic masterpiece with the Model S. Hope they change as little of the exterior as possible.

Love how clean and understated the Model S looks. It represents quiet power that obliterates rather than some other cars that appear to try too hard with all the tacky and silly accoutrements. Especially love how the Performance Model S gives so little away, while being what it is.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Yeah I feel silver is the best color for the Model S followed by Pearl White. What a shame they discontinued silver :(

Franz created an iconic masterpiece with the Model S. Hope they change as little of the exterior as possible.

Love how clean and understated the Model S looks. It represents quiet power that obliterates rather than some other cars that appear to try too hard with all the tacky and silly accoutrements. Especially love how the Performance Model S gives so little away, while being what it is.

I have a Silver Model S. I do like that color and would get it again if offered. But I guess it will have to be midnight silver next time.

I have a Silver Model S. I do like that color and would get it again if offered. But I guess it will have to be midnight silver next time.

Next to silver, Pearl White is my favorite color. Have you seen it up close? The midnight Silver is a bit too dark grey to my liking.

Pearl White makes the Model S look like a space ship with the dark glass contrast. This look is even more so with the Model X.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and SO16
White is beautiful but I have a diff opinion lol:

ED7CD968-E49E-41C8-B442-53F2D34B07B1.jpeg

I feel like buying a Tesla is an annoying process. If you don’t jump on it right away they sell so fast. Can’t believe how these cars seem to sell like hot cakes, but then I read the Wall Street reports and they still are not selling enough.

I like just ordering a BMW and knowing I am getting a good price and lease. Any time I see a Tesla even a couple thousand off it seems like it sells in seconds. Amazing that people can buy a $80k to $100k car without even thinking about. I guess I am just not that way. :)

sometimes what you are seeing, is that persons arent necessarily clicking and buying within a few mins of seeing the car. Some have tracked the car over a period of weeks, and once it drops to a certain price point(Tesla reduces prices of their inventory used cars on some sort of cadence)...then they click and buy

I used to own a Jaguar XKE, which has earned a place in the Metropolitan Museum of Art as one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. I feel my Model S is in the same class....love the design....timeless. Just a few interior upgrades (door cubby hole, grab handles, adjustable seatbelt height and lighted visors and I'll be happy.

Reactions: Nda721

Porsche just redesigned the 911 exterior again. Redesigns don't have to be drastic, they can be like Porsche has done every time

Business Insider posted this: https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-s-402-mile-range-upgrade-the-best-2020-6

some select quotes:

Model S has held up stupendously well over almost a decade.

Pricing has remained relatively stable, and high, raising the question of whether an "aging" platform is still worth the steep sticker. The timeless design and the steady march of improvement provides an answer.

The issue, then, is that as I've noted before, we take the Model S and its brilliance for granted. The Model 3 captured far more attention when it launched several years ago, and the Model X SUV is much flashier, tech-wise. But the Model S, now with yet more range, remains probably the best Tesla money can buy.

Yeah I wish people who are clamoring for a complete redesign of the Model S EXTERIOR would just stop. It is arguably one of the 3-5 best looking cars ever made.

The problem is that regardless of how good looking it is, it looks pretty much the same as it did 8 years ago, and the rear actually looks slightly worse. I've owned two Model S's, and in a few months I'm going to be looking to replace one of them. I don't want to replace it with a car that looks the same inside and out. Keep in mind that at this point there is a large group of folks who bought Model S's who are now getting ready to replace them. I'm not alone in wanting my new car to look different from my old one.

Now I'm not saying it has to be anything radical, it should just be like Audi does going from one model of the A6 to the next, minor refinements keeping the overall appearance the same. And at the same time the performance model needs something visual to distinguish it from the base model (beyond just the red calipers).

The interior is what really needs to be updated though. It's only gotten worse with the removal of real leather, and the addition of the stupid center console, and it was never great to begin with.

The problem is that regardless of how good looking it is, it looks pretty much the same as it did 8 years ago, and the rear actually looks slightly worse. I've owned two Model S's, and in a few months I'm going to be looking to replace one of them. I don't want to replace it with a car that looks the same inside and out. Keep in mind that at this point there is a large group of folks who bought Model S's who are now getting ready to replace them. I'm not alone in wanting my new car to look different from my old one.

Now I'm not saying it has to be anything radical, it should just be like Audi does going from one model of the A6 to the next, minor refinements keeping the overall appearance the same. And at the same time the performance model needs something visual to distinguish it from the base model (beyond just the red calipers).

The interior is what really needs to be updated though. It's only gotten worse with the removal of real leather, and the addition of the stupid center console, and it was never great to begin with.

Well Tesla did change the front end a few years back.

I have the center console and also used a loaner with the yacht floor. I prefer the center console.

Tesla does need to bring back the pano roof. The real leather would be nice but not at the cost of what it takes for real leather IMO.

Have you driven a new Model S with the Raven suspension? Tesla has made SEVERAL upgrades over the years as noted here. Model S Changes from 2012 to 2019 | TeslaTap

Reactions: PhilDavid