Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a new Tesla if you could move FSD to the new one?

Would you buy or consider buying a new Tesla if you could move/transfer your FSD to the new one?

• Buying new. But not interested in FSD in next Tesla

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Bottom Line: Would you buy or consider buying a new Tesla if you could move/transfer your FSD to the new one?

There's no all Tesla's category, so placing this under Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD will likely limit who sees it. I am curious enough about this subject to ask other owners. Am not looking to debate my ask here. I’ve made up my mind the way I want this, so will do no good to try to make an argument why I should change my mind or disagree with my logic. So here goes.

I bought my FSD four+ years ago. It’s never been delivered. Based on current track record, I believe it's not coming soon. I’ve not got my money’s worth out of it. FSD is (roughly) 10% of the price of a new S or X. Its petty to want this, but I do. I want to buy a S. But I want the option to transfer my paid for “license” for FSD to a new Tesla.

Do you? If you already paid for FSD on your current Tesla, would you consider buying a new Tesla if they gave you the option to move your FSD license to a new one?

Transferable FSD would have nudged me to purchase (I haven’t yet) and, perhaps more importantly, keep me from straying from Tesla at my next purchase.

However, I don’t see this happening. The entire software world prefers a subscription base as it keeps providing revenue to continually develop the product. Without it, and with free upgrades or transferable licensing, eventually most people who want it would have it. Without growth in the user base, it’s simply not sustainable. Tesla’s user base is certainly on the upswing and will continue that way for several years, but it’s not gonna be that way forever.

I’m actually surprised Tesla hasn’t made subscription the only purchase method.

It would have definitely made the difference at the beginning of this year when I wanted to buy a Model Y before my 3's warranty ended.

Now that real competition is coming and I'll be able to get a nicer, more comfortable car from Audi when the Q4 arrives? Nope. I'm done dealing with Elon and his ongoing deceit and customer abuse.

The poll needs an option for "Tesla's handling of FSD has alienated me to the point where I won't buy another car from them"

Agreed. The one thing I dislike. I understand not transferring to a new owner but Should be transferable to the same owner in a car upgrade purchase. Simple customer retention and Likely a boost to FSD sales.
I’d even settle for one free transfer of FSD per account. It would go a long way towards brand loyalty and just seems fundamentally fair.