Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a non-Tesla EV while waiting for a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marge currently drives a Lexus RX hybrid which is almost 4 years old and just came out of lease. She complains that it is too big for her around the city, mumbles something about never wanting to be in a "Double Bay / Toorak Tractor", etc, etc, and therefore doesn't want a Model X. Therefore I am holding a Model 3 reservation for Marge.

As the Model 3 likely won't hit our shores for at least two or more years, I wouldn't mind putting Marge into something a little smaller and more fun than her lumbering RX which these days feels very old-fashioned to me (given I spend almost all my time in the Model S).

A Model S is too expensive and still a bit too large for Marge to enjoy. Would you buy a non-Tesla EV while waiting for a Model 3? If so, which one?

If it looks good (to me), drives well, has at least 300km range, has over the air updates, sure. So far, nothing like that (outside of Model S) is available. Chevy Bolt (for me) fails the first one, but that's simply a preference for the shape - I wouldn't get it even if it had a Tesla badge on it.

Yes, I would and I did! We got our Leaf two months after reserving a Model 3. It was second hand, 4 years old, had done 29,000 km.

The Model 3 will replace our station wagon, the Leaf replaced our compact car. So it's not a temporary thing "until the Model 3 arrives". We'll be 100% electric after that point. :)

Yup LEAF is a great car for the city. Got a new one while waiting for the S. Definitely recommend getting a low mileage one especially the first generation which is probably the lowest cost option and still manufactured in Japan unlike some of the later models. Look for one that has all 12 battery capacity bars. Ours has done 13,500 km & still has 12 bars. Probably selling it soon and according to carsales.com.au should expect around $30K although my guess is a bit less.

I very seriously considered the Leaf, but:

1. The crash tests were not good enough for me, since it had a severe problem. Nissan designs to the crash tests, not for safety.
2. The range isn't enough for most of my needs. I commute far and travel often, not a typical local type of user.
3. Its battery is delicate because it doesn't have a thorough temperature control system integrated with it.

In a RHD country, look at the Hyundai Ioniq EV/PHEV. The EV is 155? miles range, the PHEV is range extended 32 mile design.

A PHEV has no range anxiety. It runs on pure EV power for normal errands, but has an ICE for long trips where there is no EV charging.

I do not know about availability, but it is either now or soon.

Yup LEAF is a great car for the city. Got a new one while waiting for the S. Definitely recommend getting a low mileage one especially the first generation which is probably the lowest cost option and still manufactured in Japan unlike some of the later models. Look for one that has all 12 battery capacity bars. Ours has done 13,500 km & still has 12 bars. Probably selling it soon and according to carsales.com.au should expect around $30K although my guess is a bit less.
Remember all the Leafs imported into Oz are the 2012 model. We don't have much in the way of EVs here.
call up carsales.com.au, select "Advanced search" then Fuel Type: Electric and list the lot.

No way:)
Will buy Model X if I win out by middle of next year ~selling off both Toyota's (Prius & Tacoma). Will pass on Model III to son-in-law. His/our 6 year old grand daughter asked him when he was buying an electric car to help save the planet.
No other car manufacturer builds for success of customer then the company. None.

If Kia brought their ev range to AU (L2 j1772 and chademo charging) or toyota brought in the plug in prius then yes I would. Otherwise happy to wait for my M3 to turn up. Currently have a gen 3 prius as second car. Thinking about having a plugin conversion done when it come out of warranty in January.

I was considering the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plug in hybrid. You get around 45km electric km's before the range extender kicks in. My commute is 45km so could be all electric and they sell around $30,000 for a 2015 model with very low KM. Tempting package. One guy on the forums hasn't filled up with petrol in over a year with one.

I think Marge will just have to hang on to her RXh due to the limited amount of EV's in Aust, unless Ford bring in the Focus EV,
or some of the other manufacturers import their EV's on this list Detailed List of Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids | PluginCars.com

Maybe she could get another hybrid to fill in until the Model 3 arrives, something like a Lexus CT200h (luxury, small, nippy)
or a Prius / Corolla Hybrid (cheap, small, nippy).

I think Marge will just have to hang on to her RXh due to the limited amount of EV's in Aust, unless Ford bring in the Focus EV,
or some of the other manufacturers import their EV's on this list Detailed List of Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids | PluginCars.com

Maybe she could get another hybrid to fill in until the Model 3 arrives, something like a Lexus CT200h (luxury, small, nippy)
or a Prius / Corolla Hybrid (cheap, small, nippy).

Yes I think you're spot on @moemoke.

Why buy anything? What's wrong with your ICE cars? They won't make it another year?
RHD deliveries for Australia are not in 1 year. I'm expecting 2 minimum. My car has a lot of k's, just turned 16, and will undoubtedly have an expensive failure (original clutch, original everything so far) between now and my M3 delivery. The question is what would be more cost competitive...hanging onto it with that risk in mind, or 2 years of owning something that should have very low maintenance costs.

At this stage it looks like hanging onto it and using our newer car for bigger journeys seems to be more prudent. I'm hearing every creak and rattle amplified though...