Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a non-Tesla EV while waiting for a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maybe she could get another hybrid to fill in until the Model 3 arrives, something like a Lexus CT200h (luxury, small, nippy)
or a Prius / Corolla Hybrid (cheap, small, nippy).

Having owned a CT200h a couple of cars ago it is basically a Prius in a fancy suit. It is nice enough for a luxury small hatch but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "nippy" with a 0-100km/hr of about 10 seconds (accompanied by strange constant noise from the engine due to CVT gearbox) which is a couple of seconds slower than the RX and about 3- 4 seconds slower than BMW i3 or a golf GTI respectively.

Marge currently drives a Lexus RX hybrid which is almost 4 years old and just came out of lease. She complains that it is too big for her around the city, mumbles something about never wanting to be in a "Double Bay / Toorak Tractor", etc, etc, and therefore doesn't want a Model X. Therefore I am holding a Model 3 reservation for Marge.

As the Model 3 likely won't hit our shores for at least two or more years, I wouldn't mind putting Marge into something a little smaller and more fun than her lumbering RX which these days feels very old-fashioned to me (given I spend almost all my time in the Model S).

A Model S is too expensive and still a bit too large for Marge to enjoy. Would you buy a non-Tesla EV while waiting for a Model 3? If so, which one?
We did and thus have a Chevy Volt in our garage. It has worked very well for us. Maybe someday Tesla will build out supercgargers so we can visit our families. But until then the Volt can bridge us over.