Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again MS with MCU1 or wait couple of yrs to get newer model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would buy the MS. It's a much nicer looking car than the Model 3.
Is it just me or does anyone else think the Model 3 looks like a frog?
View attachment 471146

Oh yeah! I bought the S because it's drop dead sexy! I didn't realize I had MCU1 until after I got it (Feb 2018), but I don't play games or try to browse with it. I use the iPhone to browse. Actually, if you supercharge and sit in your car while doing so, it might be worth it to you to get the new tech so you CAN play games while charging. But if you're like me, and you really don't play games, and you go eat b-fast or lunch or dinner while supercharging AND you love the looks of the S over the 3 and the extra room, it's no brainer time.

I would definitely wait for MCU2... Not for the new features (I can watch Netflix on my ipad) but because the MCU1 now suffers a lot of bugs and glitches, from audio skips, map garbage, fonts going mad, etc... And the low screen responsivity is a risk when you want to search music or a map destination while driving.
But if you don’t need a big car... get a M3

Not really a valid comparison, one is solely a phone and the other is a car first with technology second. If I had a choice between an MCU1 P85D and a model 3 long range, I would take the P85D every single time. A well equipped S would have more interior room, more storage, a hatchback, air suspension, real leather, a functional sunroof etc.

If you're a car guy a Model S is better in every single way, if you've ever considered driving a toyota prius then a Model 3 might be for you.

I bought a used 2016 Model S because I like cars first, I'm a tech guy too but i don't care as much in a car. The only thing I really wish I had was sentry mode. AP1 is good enough for my daily commute.
Interesting points, as we are lucky enough to have both a S P85DL and a 3 LR RWD. The S is the sports car I have always wanted- fast, sexy and a statement car. The model 3 takes my wife back and forth to work 60 miles daily in safety and comfort. The model 3 is our travel car that has better tech, longer range and better AP. I love them both in different ways❤️

Reactions: GSP
I faced this analysis recently when buying a used S- I paid roughly the same price for a used S that I would have paid for a new 3, and my S came with MCU 1 and AP1, vs the much newer MCU2 and AP2.5 in the 3.

I went with the S. After living with the car for a couple months I'm confident that I don't care at all about the difference between MCU1 and MCU2, though I use autopilot a lot so I'm still on the fence with whether I would have been better off with AP2. I would say however that if you're buying a model year that had both MCU1 and MCU2 I would only get the MCU2. It wasn't an issue in my case as mine is a 2015 and was at the top of the amount that I budgeted for this purchase.

I had the same decision. I think one thing that has not been mentioned is not only does the MCU2 have the recent games and Netflix and sentry mode, but also there will be future updates that the MCU2 will receive and the MCU1 will not. So, you have to factor in future disappointment.

That being said, I chose a AP 2, MCU1 late 2016 post facelift Model S. MS is simply a better car, feels more luxurious. I needed the extra cargo space. I'm glad I went with the AP2 since I use it alot, but my wife has the AP1 and it also works well. She can't do the Navigate on Autopilot or summon, which aren't a huge deal... but I do feel the extra cameras helps AP2 to drive better. POst facelift is also mostly just a personal preference, but I figured it might have better resale value since it will be thought of as 2017-2018 band of MS's. The post face light, pre-raven class so to speak.

Finally, in my heart of hearts, I think one day there will be an upgrade path from MCU1 to MCU3... or whatever the newest one is. So, I don't worry about it in the long run too much.

”...I have a 2014 MS85 with AP1 and MCU1. I couldnt be happier. I have NO desire to watch netflix in my car, so thats not even an issue. My MCU1 works perfectly fine for everything I need in a car... What do you want your car to do for you? Are the little novelty upgrades really worth it to you? To me, the answer was "no", not with the money to me (right now).
Frankly, I love the interior of the S and X and vastly prefer it to the 3.
FWIW, the yellowing screen is not only an issue for older cars. It is a problem for new S and X, too.

THIS!

As others have said it’s all about what you want in a car. I wanted a lightning quick, full sized sedan with gorgeous styling—The Model S wins hands down. I’m an engineer by education and profession and value tech, but in my opinion my MCU1 car does everything I need in a vehicle. If I wanted to watch Netflix I’ll do it at home on my entertainment system, otherwise when I’m SC I’m eating, visiting the facilities or shopping—don’t usually sit in the car. Well—maybe I do to avoid shopping with the wife and rather spend time on the phone.

I bought a loaded (less cold package and dual charger) and in perfect condition P85D with 34k miles on the speedo for $51k. I feel like I stole the car from Tesla for the value I received.

Would you buy an iPhone 4S or iPhone 11? Yes, they are both phones that make phone calls. The 4S is ages behind and will continue to lose features as more features are added to the 11.
Don't buy an MCU1.

As you can see I’m a bit on the opposite end of the spectrum. What features do you think you’ll miss out on from what a MCU1 MS lacks vs a M3. FSD is all I can really think about and quite frankly could care less about. Obviously YMMV on this.

Last edited:
I honestly don't get this fascination with "future upgrades/features" and "missing out" because you don't have the right hardware/MCU. Who cares??

If you absolutely want those features...and here in lies the catch...you don't even KNOW what those features are going to be, because...well..they are in the future. Sentry mode, dash cam etc etc...just came out. Hindsight's always 20/20...so now we say "Oh *sugar*! MCU1 guys are screwed!!!"

Well...in the future there will be MCU 3/4/5/6/7... and there will (probably) be many many features that will not apply to the current MCUs (2.5/3 whatever). What then? Then you'll lament the fact that you bought MCU "x"?? That'll always be the case.

Think of it this way, at ~100kw batteries we're fast approaching the limits of home based charging. The infrastructure just can't support more without a massive overhaul to the entire...end-to-end electrical network. That's just not gonna happen anytime soon. Yes, there is a possibility that there may be alternative sources of energy that can scale beyond that, but that remains to be seen.

So, if we're topping out on battery capabilities, the only innovation left is...tech. Guess how that's gonna play out? :)

It is simply amazing to me to see just how much of the Tesla goodness is still there in the original Model S. Even with the passing of the years, the OTA updates have successfully kept the car competitive with all the other offerings from not only Tesla, but all the other manufacturers as well.

Early Model S still looks great, has effective Autopilot, great range, Supercharging capability and has exhibited remarkable reliability and technical prowess, even in the face of the latest models.

The latest gadgets and gimmicks (fart sounds) might be missing, but they are not really necessary to still enjoy all the Teslaness (is that even a word?) that make the cars so appealing.

Buying an older Model S at the same price as a new Model 3 may turn out to be a much better value, as the new 3 will take a big depreciation in the first year, but the classic S will lose very little $.

The Model 3 is the new kid on the block, and has all the new shiny gadgets, but it still does not represent the grace and pace that eminates from the OG. It is designed as the value leader, but buying used has it's own value proposition.

Can't imagine anyone being disappointed by either choice.

It is simply amazing to me to see just how much of the Tesla goodness is still there in the original Model S. Even with the passing of the years, the OTA updates have successfully kept the car competitive with all the other offerings from not only Tesla, but all the other manufacturers as well.

Early Model S still looks great, has effective Autopilot, great range, Supercharging capability and has exhibited remarkable reliability and technical prowess, even in the face of the latest models.

The latest gadgets and gimmicks (fart sounds) might be missing, but they are not really necessary to still enjoy all the Teslaness (is that even a word?) that make the cars so appealing.

Buying an older Model S at the same price as a new Model 3 may turn out to be a much better value, as the new 3 will take a big depreciation in the first year, but the classic S will lose very little $.

The Model 3 is the new kid on the block, and has all the new shiny gadgets, but it still does not represent the grace and pace that eminates from the OG. It is designed as the value leader, but buying used has it's own value proposition.

Can't imagine anyone being disappointed by either choice.

True. Another advantage of an older Model S (pre 2017) is that you can get actual leather seats. I personally find the leather way more comfortable than the vegan leather they use now.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
The only really useful thing from newer Model S cars is the sentry mode. I really wish I had it.

Otherwise, almost everything else that MCU2 supports is a total (in my opinion pretty dumb) gimmick. Who gives a damn about beach buggy or netflix in a car? Wanna watch stuff? Bring a tablet with you!

Reactions: yak-55
Most agree, that used Tesla provide great value.

Strange thing is that even New Model S/X have reduced their prices, so they also offer great value.

Just bought a new X Long Range Raven that is far better quipped than my 2017 75X. Longer range, faster, better suspension, and all the new stuff, for about the same price. Great value indeed.

@vegas888 After having owned my June build 2016 Model S 75D for 4 months (AP1, MCU1), I don't regret not getting the latest tech (Navigate on AutoPilot, Sentry Mode, Faster charging).

Its nice to have the latest tech no question, but the space, stunning design, premium features (leather, dual screens, power trunk closer) far outweigh the looks/size of the Model 3.

I personally think the most important question you should ask yourself is how important is the design and space to you. If those two things are more important, get the S. However just because you get the 3 for its tech doesn't mean you will not want to get the next iteration of technology - MCU3, AP3 etc. Its a never ending progression.

What features do you think you’ll miss out on from what a MCU1 MS lacks vs a M3. FSD is all I can really think about and quite frankly could care less about.
Actually, an MCU1 will support FSD. (At least, they sold FSD to lots of MCU1 owners such as myself).

The one practical thing the MCU1 (AP < 2.5) doesn't support is the webcam and Sentry mode. I do really wish I had those on my S.

Actually, an MCU1 will support FSD. (At least, they sold FSD to lots of MCU1 owners such as myself).

The one practical thing the MCU1 (AP < 2.5) doesn't support is the webcam and Sentry mode. I do really wish I had those on my S.
I also have AP2, MCU1, FSD. Once FSD is released a computer upgrade will be required. MCU1 will not be upgraded. Elon has stated the computer upgrade will be free for those who have purchssed FSD

Webcam and sentry mode are AP (2.5) dependent, not MCU. I have a 2017 S with MCU1 and AP2.5, I get webcam and sentry mode. My MCU1 map refreshes are a bit slow, especially if I zoom in/out, but otherwise its fine. I dont care about the gimmicky stuff either.

I'll wait till at least MCU 3 to upgrade, maybe they'll introduce that with the Plaid version next year!

Reactions: jlv1
As others have said, buy the car that works better for you.

The 3 is a zippy agile little thing
There are some cost cutting measures on it, but overall a great car that is loaded with minimalistic design. And boy is it fun.

The S is a sports car beast with a lift back and tons of room
But it is so hard to park!

I love both for different reasons

I own Dec 2016 S, MCU 1 and AP 2.0

I’d buy this again, but that’s because I love the trunk and cargo space (I replaced my SUV with the S)
I also love the interior far better

I’d be in heaven if they came out with a lift back with S interior but sized like a 3

Id choose huge car with lift back vs agile car with trunk.