Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again MS with MCU1 or wait couple of yrs to get newer model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you buy an iPhone 4S or iPhone 11? Yes, they are both phones that make phone calls. The 4S is ages behind and will continue to lose features as more features are added to the 11.

Don't buy an MCU1. This is coming from guy with a 2018 feb S75D build, aka MCU1. It blows in comparison to the MCU2 and is only getting bogged down and left behind as time goes on.
I have a feeling if iPhone4S costed $50K and iPhone 11 costed $100K, there would be plenty of people who would choose the 4S. MCU1 is slow and abandoned in terms of features, but they are not features worth tens of thousands of dollars. V10 with its web app interface still plagues MCU2 almost as much since the user experience design is just crap (like having to take eyes way off the road to find the phone app, MCU2 just lets you take them off for less time).

You can watch Netflix on a phone or an iPad, you can get better dashcams than Tesla installed for a lot less than the difference between 2016 and 2018 car, and get yourself a fart app for your phone and stream it via bluetooth, or just eat some extra beans for breakfast. ;)

Last edited:
Well after reading all of these so far,
The original intent here is to drive electric. The intent of the car is to drive it from A-B-C-A cleanly with solar in the future in mind for fuel.

Now were looking for Netflix?

All the rest of this is fluff. Good fluff, but not entirely necessary and you if your a busy person, you have little time for it.

Just yesterday I looked at the info for Profiles. That list is exhausting, to the point of who needs all that.

I don't use the monitor to drive. In-fact its not easy to use while driving(I'm gonna get flack for this), its a hindrance at times to turn things on if your eyes are doing what they are supposed to be doing-driving.

Its ok, you can admit that.

We all look at monitors all day long. You'd think your looking for a place of solace from that. I am.

The car has an alarm. Sentry mode? I don't get it. If they want it, they are going to take it/damage it.

The car is rock solid 99.999999% of the time even with 12V battery. Mine is original. Waiting for the message any day now.

All that being said, my AP-1, MCU-1 is really not that much different then a new car. Certainly not to the point of spending 50+ Grand/Trade to do the mostly the same things this car does.

Also, I know this car, it pluses and shortcomings(small things that have been replaced by warranty). That does not help the OP, if he buys used, it'll be a guess. New is a guess.

Last warranty service, I think I had a list of 10 items that were broken, needed addressing. They did, as always. But they did say, these are not huge concerns. Since I bought the car, NO HUGE CONCERNS. Just the little stuff. All that warranty was priced in the car.

Dependable, Safe, Clean, Fun, Fast, Exhilarating, Compelling, Simple-with caveats that many might not find simple, sad for us humans it took so long to get here.

Reactions: SilverGS
I have AP1/MCU1 90D. Love it. Loaded car w/40K miles. I had money down on a M3 and ended up going with the S once I realized how much the S depreciated. The sticker on my car was like 115K or something like that. I bought it for under 50K. To me the S is a very different level of car from the M3. As for the differences in tech, they simply don't matter to me. I use Autopilot on the highway and that is about it. Frankly I still think they are years out from the local driving.

With that said, everyone has their own opinion here. I like the extra room and the nicer interior.

One note, the M3 has a steel hybrid body. The S is aluminum. Pros and cons to this, but I live in the Chicago area. Rust will never be an issue on my car.

I think we are all lucky to have cars like these. For sure first world issues if we are trying to figure out the pros and cons of these great Tesla options :)

I need honest opinion from owners of MS with MCU 1 .
I was going to order MS 2016 other day but after driving M3 for half hour yesterday im not sure what to do.
I really like MS exterior look but getting 50k car with "older" technology now does not sound like a good idea.
My coworker has 2016 MS ,yellowing screen, very often maps are loading slow (he said),no Netflix, internet browser not working..... He said soon he will trade in it for MS 2018 model.
2018 MS is still too expensive to me so im thinking of getting M3 for next 2-3 years.
I understand many of you like your car, MS, even with all problems and older technology, but honestly if someone gives you 50k cash would you again buy another 2016 MS or brand new Model 3 IF you DONT need extra space in MS trunk?
Im going to use new car only for work commute

I have recent, firsthand experience with just this dilemma. Back in March, my old Leaf was t-boned; totaled. I needed a car quick since I travel for work frequently and had a hard time making up my mind. Thankfully we have a Tesla showroom nearby and I was able to check into the Model 3 and the Model S in person.

I weighed both options and ended up getting a '14 P85D for not much more than a Model 3 LR. I could not be happier! I think what a lot of people in this thread have said is absolutely true: You can treat your car like tech or you can treat it like a car. If you want the latest and greatest tech (Sentry Mode, streaming video, cool games), go with the Model 3. If you want a car that can still run circles around other cars (technology wise) but just wait a few more seconds to do it, go with the Model S.

I considered buying the model 3 But but bought a late December 2015 model S 85 from Tesla instead, with smart air suspension, Ultra high fidelity sound system, MCU1/AP1, for much less than the M3. The air suspension is worth the price of admission, but the biggest advantage is free supercharging for life.
I’m not familiar with how Netflix works in newer models— Can you download content to the MCU to watch later or do you have to be connected to the Internet? If it’s the latter, it’s not much of an advantage to me: I always have an iPad in the car with downloaded content from Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu, etc. If I’m at a supercharger with Wi-Fi, I just stream to the iPad. (Consider it a mobile MCU. )

Reactions: Minecon_CA
My 2017 75D Is MCU1/AP2. I'd really like the MCU2 features, but what I'm waiting on it NOT MCU2. I'll be trading up when the S/X receives the newest battery technology, capable of extending range even farther and, most importantly, V3 Supercharging. By that time, the FSD computer may be at HW4 and the MCU, at 3, but battery-pack tech is by far the most important looming advancement that I'm anticipating in MS.

Reactions: GSP
The issue with the MCU V1 is that the flash memory will wear out and brick it. Not if but when.

Agreed. Known issue that may be mitigated if the developers at Tesla back off writing to it so much. With that said, there are fixes for this up to and including replacing the board (3K+). Some people are proactively changing those flash memories out. I would do the same if I was out of warranty. It requires pulling the MCU and soldering new flash memory on there. Bottom line, it is a pita, but manageable if you plan accordingly. Again, may be addressed with the developers as well. This is more of a wait and see for myself. The cost difference between MCU1 and MCU2 can be a lot out there on the market. So this issue alone, in my mind, is not enough to steer away from MCU1.

If
I have recent, firsthand experience with just this dilemma. Back in March, my old Leaf was t-boned; totaled. I needed a car quick since I travel for work frequently and had a hard time making up my mind. Thankfully we have a Tesla showroom nearby and I was able to check into the Model 3 and the Model S in person.

I weighed both options and ended up getting a '14 P85D for not much more than a Model 3 LR. I could not be happier! I think what a lot of people in this thread have said is absolutely true: You can treat your car like tech or you can treat it like a car. If you want the latest and greatest tech (Sentry Mode, streaming video, cool games), go with the Model 3. If you want a car that can still run circles around other cars (technology wise) but just wait a few more seconds to do it, go with the Model S.
I

I weighed both options and ended up getting a '14 P85D for not much more than a Model 3 LR. I could not be happier! I think what a lot of people in this thread have said is absolutely true: You can treat your car like tech or you can treat it like a car. If you want the latest and greatest tech (Sentry Mode, streaming video, cool games), go with the Model 3. If you want a car that can still run circles around other cars (technology wise) but just wait a few more seconds to do it, go with the Model S.[/QUO

I need honest opinion from owners of MS with MCU 1 .
I was going to order MS 2016 other day but after driving M3 for half hour yesterday im not sure what to do.
I really like MS exterior look but getting 50k car with "older" technology now does not sound like a good idea.
My coworker has 2016 MS ,yellowing screen, very often maps are loading slow (he said),no Netflix, internet browser not working..... He said soon he will trade in it for MS 2018 model.
2018 MS is still too expensive to me so im thinking of getting M3 for next 2-3 years.
I understand many of you like your car, MS, even with all problems and older technology, but honestly if someone gives you 50k cash would you again buy another 2016 MS or brand new Model 3 IF you DONT need extra space in MS trunk?
Im going to use new car only for work commute
I bought a late-December 2015 MS 85 earlier this year from Tesla, no issues with MCU1/AP1 (yet); but even if you were to have issues, remember you have an extended warranty— If you’re buying from Tesla. Mine is covered for another four years... Even if I have to replace the MCU in the fifth year at cost, I will have saved money over a model 3. Plus, Smart air suspension, free supercharging for life, faster, longer range, more utility, better looking, etc...

I agree with several others—if the size of the 3 is adequate for you, definitely go with the newer tech. I would love to have auto lane changing, NoA, and and a faster MCU. Is all of that currently worth it for me to upgrade? No, but if I was in the market for a Tesla right now I would not accept anything before MCU2.

The only really useful thing from newer Model S cars is the sentry mode. I really wish I had it.

Otherwise, almost everything else that MCU2 supports is a total (in my opinion pretty dumb) gimmick. Who gives a damn about beach buggy or netflix in a car? Wanna watch stuff? Bring a tablet with you!

There is a good chance that we have sentry mode once we move to AP3. Those owners who have MCU1 and AP2.5 have it along with current Tesla owners of MCU 2 and AP2.5 and AP3. Which means, sentry mode as nothing to do with the MCU but all about the AP version....so let's be patient. Tesla has started replacing AP 2.5 by AP3

Reactions: jlv1
You know there’s parking assist, yes?
Yes, I use it all the time at home. Why would you assume otherwise?

Away from home, I prefer to park in spots where there's only only one car on one side and then have my car away from that side of that spot. Park assist wants to be centered.

Also, sometimes the spots are simply crowded and it's not about fitting, but increasing the chance of other people causing car dings.

My wife saw and wants the X, but as much as I'd like to recommend a second Tesla in place of her MB, I think we should wait for MB to bring forth a viable alternative, then make comparisons. Service issues disappear, and she gets lunch and a cleaned car.