Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again MS with MCU1 or wait couple of yrs to get newer model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need honest opinion from owners of MS with MCU 1 .
I was going to order MS 2016 other day but after driving M3 for half hour yesterday im not sure what to do.
I really like MS exterior look but getting 50k car with "older" technology now does not sound like a good idea.
My coworker has 2016 MS ,yellowing screen, very often maps are loading slow (he said),no Netflix, internet browser not working..... He said soon he will trade in it for MS 2018 model.
2018 MS is still too expensive to me so im thinking of getting M3 for next 2-3 years.
I understand many of you like your car, MS, even with all problems and older technology, but honestly if someone gives you 50k cash would you again buy another 2016 MS or brand new Model 3 IF you DONT need extra space in MS trunk?
Im going to use new car only for work commute

Ask yourself "what are you looking to get out of the car?" I have a 2014 MS85 with AP1 and MCU1. I couldnt be happier. I have NO desire to watch netflix in my car, so thats not even an issue. My MCU1 works perfectly fine for everything I need in a car. Albeit it is a bit slower, a difference in a few seconds in load times really doesnt affect my driving experience. What do you want your car to do for you? Are the little novelty upgrades really worth it to you? To me, the answer was "no", not with the money to me (right now).

I would have gotten the Model 3 if it were available in 2017. I would probably buy it now but I'm not sure since I love my 2017 S now that I've lived with it. One drawback is being a big car makes parking a pain so if you don't need the size, the 3 could be a better fit for your needs and budget.

I have a 2016 75D AP2 MCU1. Purchased a year ago. 19,000 miles later I have no regrets and zero issues. The problem with tech products is you have the latest and greatest a very short time. You're constantly chasing your tail. 2-3 years from now the Tesla you really want isn't going to be one that's available today. Unless you're willing to buy and sell cars like a day trader, buy the car you want and can afford today and just enjoy.

Frankly, I love the interior of the S and X and vastly prefer it to the 3.

I've got the MCU1 (AP2) in my S and MCU2 (AP2.5) on my X. There's very little practical difference between the two for me. The maps are slightly slower to initially load on the S, but that's a minor thing. The big item I miss in my S is the webcam and Sentry video recording.

I don't sit in the car when it's parked (e.g., at a SuperCharger), so Netflix doesn't add anything to me. I never use the browser, either.

FWIW, the yellowing screen is not only an issue for older cars. It is a problem for new S and X, too.

Would you buy an iPhone 4S or iPhone 11? Yes, they are both phones that make phone calls. The 4S is ages behind and will continue to lose features as more features are added to the 11.

Don't buy an MCU1. This is coming from guy with a 2018 feb S75D build, aka MCU1. It blows in comparison to the MCU2 and is only getting bogged down and left behind as time goes on.

Reactions: turtlesz
I purchased the MS over the M3 specifically because of the size difference. I needed seating for 6 and with the booster seats in the trunk I have seating for 7.

Had extra seating not been a factor, I probably would have gone for the M3 instead.

Would you buy an iPhone 4S or iPhone 11? Yes, they are both phones that make phone calls. The 4S is ages behind and will continue to lose features as more features are added to the 11.

Don't buy an MCU1. This is coming from guy with a 2018 feb S75D build, aka MCU1. It blows in comparison to the MCU2 and is only getting bogged down and left behind as time goes on.

Not really a valid comparison, one is solely a phone and the other is a car first with technology second. If I had a choice between an MCU1 P85D and a model 3 long range, I would take the P85D every single time. A well equipped S would have more interior room, more storage, a hatchback, air suspension, real leather, a functional sunroof etc.

If you're a car guy a Model S is better in every single way, if you've ever considered driving a toyota prius then a Model 3 might be for you.

I bought a used 2016 Model S because I like cars first, I'm a tech guy too but i don't care as much in a car. The only thing I really wish I had was sentry mode. AP1 is good enough for my daily commute.

MCU2 is definitely nicer, but you're going to pay a LOT of extra money to eliminate some very minor, very tolerable hitching compared to MCU1. The only way I could ever justify an upgrade is if I intended to get a lot of use out of the built in web browser.

Not really a valid comparison, one is solely a phone and the other is a car first with technology second. If I had a choice between an MCU1 P85D and a model 3 long range, I would take the P85D every single time. A well equipped S would have more interior room, more storage, a hatchback, air suspension, real leather, a functional sunroof etc.

If you're a car guy a Model S is better in every single way, if you've ever considered driving a toyota prius then a Model 3 might be for you.

I bought a used 2016 Model S because I like cars first, I'm a tech guy too but i don't care as much in a car. The only thing I really wish I had was sentry mode. AP1 is good enough for my daily commute.

while yes I'm sure the P of the P85 is awesome, how often are you flooring it to utilize it? I would argue most people interact more with the MCU than stomping the pedal, which is why the MCU2 is the better overall buy. These cars FLY in comparison to any ICE out there. People don't believe me when I tell them I have the 'slow one'. It's more than enough.

And you want to talk about bad comparisons...Comparing a prius to a model 3? Gimme a break.

MCU2 is definitely nicer, but you're going to pay a LOT of extra money to eliminate some very minor, very tolerable hitching compared to MCU1. The only way I could ever justify an upgrade is if I intended to get a lot of use out of the built in web browser.

And it's about future abilities too. The MCU1 is already being left out. Who knows what's next? Why buy something that has already peaked and is EOL with known failure problems (looking at you eMMC)?

I have an MCU 1 MS (2017) and I would lease a Model 3 for a few years. I also love the MS look, but the 3 has a big tech advantage over MCU1.
I don't play games, browse or watch movies in my car so see no real tech advantage to me. MCU1 works without issue for the features I use. Mainly navigation, Spotify and XM. If I find a need for a dash cam solutions are available some of which are better than provided by Tesla.
I will consider the Y for my next car because it's storage might work for me. However at that time there is going to be other alternatives to consider.

Reactions: David29
Model S is better in every way, it is a beast with more room and a better road presence. Honestly the tech difference between MCU’s and even AP1 and AP2 doesn’t matter. Depends on what you need from your car. Also depends on what the cost difference is and whether you’d rather have that cash in your pocket. I bought my $50k 2015 MS 85D in March and I could have bought any new or used Tesla I wanted, but it was more important for me to keep the $15-$60k cost difference in my bank account than in a new MCU and a few more cameras.

I would buy the MS. It's a much nicer looking car than the Model 3.
Is it just me or does anyone else think the Model 3 looks like a frog?
Tesla:frog.png