Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy another MX after having a lemon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... but the current LR pricing is much cheaper than it used to be. ($85k, including Autopilot and free unlimited Supercharging.) In your shoes I'd look long and hard at a base new vehicle. You'd also get what's left of the tax credit if you took delivery this year.

I don't know where you got your figures from, but as described (base LR, no options other than FSD) is $91K.

Your problem is actually two-fold: The X is a very technically over-built vehicle that is prone on average to have more issues, and service and follow-up is lackluster at least at your current dealer. The first part of this equation may not be solved by buying yet another X, but what options are available to you for the second part?

I understood and expected some quirks buying the Model X knowing very well its over-engineered, but what I didn't expect was having to take the car in for the same issue multiple times. I have been to Burbank, had the Buena Park mobile technicians come out, and Pomona where most of my visits have been. Either the techs are terrible at troubleshooting or this particular build of the Model X is plagued.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Short answer.....YES

Long answer.....

I think the problem is once you have owned a X its very hard to downgrade to anything else.

Here in the UK a P Model 3 is just under £54k versus the £71k I paid for our 60D X in 2016.

I had a situation when our 6month old X was written off and I was given the option to take a cheque for £75k (more than what I paid for the X), or get a new 75D X paid for by the insurance company.

I'm a tight asian, so you can imagine the temptation to take a £4k 'profit' and run for the hills.....but I couldn't face owning a car without powered doors, or that massive windscreen, the feeling of space, nor the ability to carry so much stuff/people.

2 years and 30k miles on from that decision if you gave me the same choice today I would still do the same, go for a X :).

Our current X has been back to the service station 10 times in 2 years, and I don't even consider it to be a lemon, I don't think there is a X owner who hasn't been to a service centre in the last 12 months!

But it comes down to the point there is just no other cars on the market like the X, even just the frameless doors, how many 7 seater SUVs have that?

Elon Musk has been known to describe the X as a Faberge egg, and something not to be repeated, but that's exactly why I love our X.

Life is about living, yes there are more practical cars, cheaper cars for sure, more reliable cars - maybe the Y?? But marrying the most sensible, average appeal, computer matched person isn't what most humans do.

The X is the only car I have ever owned which is best described with the term 'je ne sais quoi', people moan EVs are soulesss, most people have never been lucky enogh to own a X!

The fact this thread exists shows how these cars get under your skin, from an objective point of view even considering buying the same car which you rejected and hoping for a better outcome is the very definition of insanity....

Personally though if Einstein was still alive I think he would find the concept of using a Faberge egg daily amusing at the very least, but frankly there are worse things in life than been called insane....If your aspirations in life amounted to this, well, go and forget about the X :).

dads_van.jpg

Last edited: