Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Buy Model S if it had an ICE instead of Electric?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would rather buy an A7 (or, possibly, S7) if Model S had an ICE, even if it was a PHEV with a ~100 mile EV range and another 200+ miles via ICE. Although I do like the environmental impact reduction of driving electric, it's the unique features of the all-electric drivetrain (instant torque, "refuel" at home, etc.) and the "skateboard" platform (excellent NVH, handling, etc.) that really draw me to Model S. The attractive styling is a major plus as well.

I would never have bought a Tesla it it were not electric. Unless ... it was the best car in the world, not just the best electric car.

This way, I will buy it, hoping it IS the best car in the world. But even if it is not - I like the electric part.

Now if Rolls Royce came out with a Tesla drive train ... (instead of the 102 EX)
31d47b6438e65ee6.jpe

If it were a PHEV or plain ICE I would not. Am in the process of signing the MVPA and this will cost 3x's more than my previous vehicle and I've never owned a new one, having been driving for 30 years. For me it's all about the "EV" + range + styling :cool:

If the Model S wasn't electric, it wouldn't have any of the properties that make it compelling. The Model S is fast, quiet, handles beautifully, refuels overnight in your own garage, etc. You could put a 17" touchscreen in an ICE car but it wouldn't be a Model S.

I agree with nearly everyone on this thread. I'm spending about twice what I would normally spend on the Model S. If I wasn't getting that, I'd get a year old A7. The price I am paying, I could get a new, fully loaded A7 and have about $15k change, and solid, known residual values. Hmmm. must-stop-bad-thoughts!

I would not get the Model S if it was an ICE. I would not get a new car at all, I would stick my 2010 Prius and drive it into the ground. The EV component combined with the tech and the good looks make are what really make it the most compelling car on the road.

Bingo. Except mine is a 2004.

At first, I was thinking, "This is an easy one. No," but actually, a big part of the reason I want this car is because of the technology besides the drive train. I really like that the console and gauges are digital, which means they can be changed for different preferences, circumstances, or improvements. I like the additional control and feedback it enables or potentially enables of all kinds of functions of the car. I think even if this was an ICE car, I would still find that aspect very desirable, but I have to conclude I would not be willing to pay this price for it.

I would never have bought a Tesla it it were not electric. Unless ... it was the best car in the world, not just the best electric car.

This way, I will buy it, hoping it IS the best car in the world. But even if it is not - I like the electric part.

Now if Rolls Royce came out with a Tesla drive train ... (instead of the 102 EX)
31d47b6438e65ee6.jpe

If you put an 85kWh Tesla drive train underneath that thing - with its 0.38 Cd and 5700 pounds before batteries, it probably would get less than 150 miles of range.
Still want one?

Removing the ICE and it's associated drivetrain would compensate for much of the battery weight. Not much you could do about the aerodynamic drag though. I'd think that city driving wouldn't reduce the range too much.

Plus, as I pointed out I was including gas mileage when I said an ICE vehicle was incapable of matching Model S. Panamera GTS gets 16/24 vs 88/90mpge for MSP.
I disbelieve and fart in the general direction of the EPA's "88 city" MPGe. There's no way city<highway, unless you drive to defeat regen and also to bypass the physics of low speed city movement. I b'lieve the 5-cycle protocol mandated jackrabbitting throughout, and heavy brake use. Betcha the real city MPGe is >120.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not take the "best car" thing literally.

Elon: "in all the dimensions that matter". Engineer's priorities. Would you rather have a salesman's?

- - - Updated - - -

This largely offsets the savings in fuel costs. And even if you no longer wish to drive the Model S after just 7 to 10 years, it's resale value will be largely hit when trying to dump it with an aged battery, since the new owner will likely have to take on the cost of replacement if he wishes it to operate it with a range similar to what it got new.
So think of it as an 85 reduced to a 60. A long-life 60, as the rate of capacity decline declines with age.

- - - Updated - - -

NO. I want an electric car. The Aptera fell through.
Wow! Lucky you. You might have actually had to drive it if you bought it!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'll be the first one to say YES, I would. The car it is replacing is a Lexus LS 430 UL, which is around the same price as I'm paying for my S85.
If not for the Model S, I would have bought a new LS (as I stated in the thread that asks *that* question).
From some Amped review or other, family reaction getting into their Lexus for the trip home: "What a letdown!"

:biggrin::crying:

Last edited:
No. Were the Model S an ICE it would not be the "best car in the world". This car is designed from the ground up based on battery power which give it significant advantages in handling, performance, maintenance, safety and cool tech features. However, it is lacking in some of the creature comforts on the interior of comparably priced ICEs.

No. Were the Model S an ICE it would not be the "best car in the world". This car is designed from the ground up based on battery power which give it significant advantages in handling, performance, maintenance, safety and cool tech features. However, it is lacking in some of the creature comforts on the interior of comparably priced ICEs.

I was at the dealers today getting some regular maintenance done on my Prius and, for the first time ever, there was a Prius in the showroom. Boy did they make the console ugly compared to the openness of the 2004. Lost all of it's usability. While I would appreciate some convenient hidden storage, if I had to choose between the Model S' non-storage and the Prius' GA storage, I'd select the non-storage.